Wednesday, February 9, 2011

make crayon stained glass hearts with your kids {how to}


Remember these? I do! I know they're all over the place right now, but I haven't made them in about 10 years, and my kids have never made them, so we spent an afternoon shaving crayons and making our own stained glass hearts for Valentine's day! Here's how to make stained glass shapes using crayons, wax paper, and an iron.



Stained Glass Shapes with Crayons and Wax Paper {Tutorial}


Supplies:
*Crayons in various colors
*Crayon or pencil sharpener, or vegetable peeler
*Wax paper
*An iron
*Stack of newspaper or paper towels
*Cookie cutters and pencil (for tracing shapes)
*String or baker's twine for hanging
*Optional: buttons

1. Start by grouping your crayons by color. They turn out nicely when you use colors from the same family, but it's fine to mix them up, too! Shave your crayons with a crayon or pencil sharpener. You can also use a vegetable peeler on longer crayons!


2. Fold a large piece of wax paper in half. Spread your shavings on one half of the wax paper, keeping them away from the edges.


Seal the edges by folding them over.


3. Put several pieces of newspaper or paper towels beneath and on top of the wax paper. You can see in the picture below I didn't have enough--the crayon seeped out and got on my ironing board and iron! So make it a thick layer. Then, with your iron on a low to medium setting, iron over the top of the wax paper.


As you move across the paper, your melted crayon will spread out. When it's all melted, allow to cool for a few minutes.


4. When it's cool, trace shapes with cookie cutters or template. We did hearts for Valentine's, but try leaves for fall, ornaments for Christmas, eggs for Easter, etc. Cut the shapes out.



5. Using a small hole punch (mine was a 1/16"), punch a hole near the top and bottom of each heart. String them with string or baker's twine. I also strung a button between each shape for a little more interest and weight.


Hang from a curtain rod so the light can shine through your shapes, just like real stained glass!


share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
24 Comments

24 Responses to “make crayon stained glass hearts with your kids {how to}”

beetree said...

So cute! And making them is a little like making a wax quesadilla, with the way the wax melts like cheese- haha! Maybe it's because I'm hungry. :) Will be making these- for crafts, not lunch!

Stacey J. said...

This project must be going around. I just did it with my little man yesterday!

monica said...

i saw these on martha stewart...so cute

xo monica

tini-uk said...

Silly question, but do I have to peel off the wax paper? They look beautiful.

Jaderbomb said...

Cute!! I did some like this about 2 weeks ago!! Check them out!! Your are awesome BTW

Unknown said...

SO glad I NOW know how to make these. I have tons of crayons. Thanks for sharing. jen

Beatriz Rubio De Kimmel said...

amazing! love it
TFS
-BK

Sweeter Hours said...

So pretty! Love the use of recycled crayons.

Please Note said...

I've always wondered exactly how to make these! Thank you for such an in-depth DIY post!

Cheryl said...

I love this idea !! I can just see my 2 smallest grand daughters making these ...with my help of course.I love how you hung them too.

Sue said...

Oh these are fab! What a great idea.

Linda Wescott said...

such a cute idea, love to do this with my grandson. Hug slin

Nancy-Jane said...

Oh my, these are SO CUTE!

Kreateten said...

That is one cooool tecnique! I think I'll just might have to babysit some kids soon...or would it be ok to make thouse hearts alone as an adult? :-)

Jessica :) said...

This is a lot of fun! I've actually never seen anything like it. I'll have to remember it and try it sometime. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I remember this from when I was a child also.
I wonder if you can prestring before melting and cutting...I'll have to try that and get back to you if it works out.

Danielle said...

i do not remember anything like this from my childhood, poor me!!! i am SO doing this with my baby girl! thanks!

beetree said...

Just a tip...the thicker the layer of wax, the less transparent it becomes, so try to get a thin layer of crayon instead of a bunch together. Messy (don't use your good iron!) but sooo cute!

staci said...

I made these with my kids last night. I can't believe how pretty they turned out!

lisbonlioness said...

This is the kind of craft that makes me want to jump up and start MAKING stuff. I have no kids around this weekend, but I won't let that minor issue stop me from shaving some crayons and get myself a little Valentine fix!

Angela said...

Note: Don't use parchment paper... silly me I thought I could sub it for wax paper since I didn't have any on hand. Nope!! It just all falls apart :) Will be trying this one another day after I go to the store!!

passingtimewcrafts said...

Ah! SO cute!! I bought snowflake cookies cutters and haven't used them yet...Will be in about 30 min! Great craft for my crafty 4 yr old!! AND a perfect end to a crafty birthday week!!

Federica said...

It's wonderful!! Congratulations... If you must pass by me;)

Barabà said...

That's a wonderful idea! Thank you!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs