Friday, February 11, 2011

{kids valentine bag} and my new crochet hat pattern!


I remember making very elaborate Valentine's mailboxes in elementary school. I mean over the top. My dad would always help me, so they'd be totally creative and in some way engineered to do something cool. I haven't had to do any for my kids yet (they've made them at school so far), but I did get to make one for myself when I worked at my local scrapbook store! Being short on time I made it extremely simple. Because sometimes that's just good enough. So if you're looking for a simple Valentine's mailbox (or a great Valentine's gift bag), here's a quick and cute idea for you!


I started with a large brown bag (slightly larger than a regular lunch sack) and measured it. Then I cut two coordinating patterned papers from My Mind's Eye (last year's Valentine collection) and glued them together. I added a ribbon around the middle and some ric rac, and hung a tag from the ribbon with my name on it. I tied a button on top of that for a little pop of color and adhered the whole thing to the front of the bag. Voila! Functional, cute, and fast!


So if you're freezing your you-know-what off right now like I am (yes, 40 degrees is cold for Seattle!), I also have a new pattern in the shop! The Chloe Cap is a sweet crochet pattern that works up really quickly and will teach you a new version of an old stitch. It includes sizes for 5 to 9 years and 10 years to adult.




There is a baby version, The Averie Cap, but as luck would have it, I lost my pattern notebook somewhere (maybe at CHA?) before I had a chance to put them in the computer. Boo hoo! We've looked everywhere--my cute husband even went dumpster diving before the garbage man came and no luck. :( I need to recreate it and write it all down again, but I haven't found the time yet. So keep your eyes peeled for the little one (with an ear flap option!), coming soon!



And in more good crochet news, wonderful crochet artist Shannon from A Touch of Vintage is featuring my how to crochet a butterfly pattern on her finished crocheted hats! Look how adorable it looks, perched on her sweet hat. LOVE it! If you don't crochet, you should head over to her shop and consider her amazing creations. I also love her cozy Hooded Scarf in Lemongrass. She is really talented!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
13 Comments

13 Responses to “{kids valentine bag} and my new crochet hat pattern!”

S said...

SOLD - exactly what i was looking for! thank you.

Mrs Bent said...

The hats are so pretty and I love the bags :)

happeningswithLana said...

Really cute. TFS!

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

This Valentine bag is so sweet!! Seeing this gave me great ideas for decorating the plain, brown paper gift bags I picked up for my boys' Valentine goodies!
I shared it on my FB craft page : )
craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

Emily Call said...

That hat is adorable. Too bad I can't for the life of me figure out how to crochet!

faith ann raider said...

These are SO cute!!! One of the things on my 30 by 30 list is to learn how to crochet something other than an afghan. I was checking out your shop and your beanies are SO cute!!
What pattern would you suggest for a beginner like me?
faith.raider@gmail.com

Tif said...

I LOVE the hat...in fact I might have just bought it from your shop!

H-Mama said...

love the bag idea & paper color combo... my fave! cute hat! :)

Tracy and Tom said...

I really like the hat but am having trouble finding it in the store... :( what am I doing wrong? I can only find the Lizzy hat...

Lisita said...

Love the hat Mandy!

Coisas de Karenina said...

Always love to look now and then your blog, fully of nice ideas and adorable models!
Our valentine day, here in Brasil it is on june and have a different idea from yours (I prefer your´s as I do think that is closely to the real means....)
congrats and thank you for sharing! :)

Emily said...

I love the hat with the ear flaps!! I hope you can post the pattern soon!! Thanks for sharing!

S said...

I've finished. Thie was my first crochet following a pattern - I think it turned out really well. Thanks again. http://motherrhythm.blogspot.com/2011/03/birthday-gifts-from-hook.html

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs