Friday, February 4, 2011

CHA winter 2011 review and pictures {my super amazing weekend}

Okay, my laundry is finally under control so I can get down to uploading the hundreds of pictures we took at CHA. Are you ready for this? Or are you asking, what the heck is CHA?

CHA - the Craft and Hobby Association - puts on a trade show for craft retailers twice a year. What does that mean? Tons of craft manufacturers in one room (well, two floors, actually) showing off their new lines and products to your local (and online) craft retailers. Oh, and did I mention tons of gorgeous samples? Well that's what I went for anyway. A once-in-a-lifetime chance to experience all the best of the craft world (and all the best designers) in one place. I know!

As a first-timer, the entire show was magical for me. I soaked in the creativity every moment. I did make and takes and scored a little swag. We even spotted a few celebrities (like Tim Holtz, Stacy Julian, Margie Romney, Rhona Farrer, Heidi Swapp, and Lizzy Kartchner with Lola!). And I had a great time seeing it all with this girl and this girl.

It was overwhelming and inspirational and wonderful. But I was also surprised that there were very few new or different ideas between scrapbooking/papercrafting vendors (where I spent most of my time). It almost seemed the same ideas (some of them from previous years) popped up in each booth, just made over in that manufacturer's style. Although I have to admit I was happy to see many of the trends from last year had endured. Here are what I think the trends are for 2011 (some old, some new):

Trends
*silhouettes

Jenni Bowlin Studio

Maya Road

*paper garlands

Pebbles

October Afternoon

*framed quotes and accessories


Tim Holtz

*printer trays

7 Gypsies

Tim Holtz

Maya Road

*zippers


Maya Road

*dress forms

The Girls Paperie

DCWV

*canvas art

The Girls' Paperie

EK Success

*mustaches

My Cute Stamps


*flowers


Cosmo Cricket

*cupcakes

Pebbles, Inc.

Silhouette America

*birds / birdcages

EK Success

Jillybean Soup

The Girls Paperie

*banners / pennants

Pink Paislee


*paper wreaths



Cosmo Cricket

*vintage themes

October Afternoon

Cosmo Cricket

*sewing notions

My Little Shoebox

Cosmo Cricket

*felt


EK Success

*embroidery hoops

October Afternoon

*doilies
*bottle caps (we did multiple bottle cap necklace make and takes!)

My favorite booths and new product lines:

*Smash books by EK Success. This was one product that really did seem new and original. Check out this video. But beware--you're going to want one (or four).


*Everything by Crate Paper. They nailed it with all four of their new lines. Even if they weren't totally new ideas, the designs and accessories were a home run. I need them all. And I'll need multiples of the vintage buttons. Gaaa!






This little album was spectacular. Look for pics of all the pages in the slide show at the end!


*My other favorite new item was Silhouette's fabric stabilizer. That's right--we can now cut fabric with our Silhouette machines! You know there are going to be some good tutorials coming up. . .I can't wait to get my hands on some!


*October Afternoon was also fabulous (as per usual). Loved the new Rocket Age line for boys, and the vintage 5 & Dime! Plus their Sprinklers opaque ink sprays were very cool.






*Cosmo Cricket, in addition to their awesome new lines (Upcycle was my fave!), had an innovative new product called Gloobers. These are going to be a must-have in my flower supply arsenal!


My Mind's Eye is still in my top 3 favorite companies. They've expanded the Lush line to include new colors (love the orange!), and their Stella & Rose line is absolutely delicious (I need the doily stamps!).




*Jilly Bean Soup's Blossom Soup was completely adorable. We got to use it for the make and take and I'm in love! I was also blown away by this cool thread spool wreath.



*7 Gypsies' booth was over the top. It was completely decked with vintage goodness. Loved the Lille collection and the printed tissue paper (they decoupaged the walls with it!) There are tons of photos in the slideshow of this booth!






*Graphic 45 was total eye candy. I could hardly take it all in!




*Loved The Girls' Paperie booth, too. It was over-the-top amazing. Gorgeous, sweet, innovative. Margie had an altered book that made my heart skip a few beats.

Check out this kite! Amazing!



*Studio Calico not only had pretty papers but AMAZING samples! They always have great designers.




*Pink Paislee's Daily Junque and Soiree were to die for! It's designed by the three cool cats at House of 3.


Other favorites: Bella Blvd's Mr. Boy, Little Yellow Bicycle's Elizabeth Park, and Basic Grey's Sweet Threads. Among so many others!

Here's the slide show of our photos. I made them move semi-quickly, so click pause if you want to linger on a photo a little longer. Enjoy!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
30 Comments

30 Responses to “CHA winter 2011 review and pictures {my super amazing weekend}”

Please Note said...

craft overload! there are so many fantastic ideas! i love it!

dannyscotland said...

Woowww....

so awesome.



This looks like it was an amazing time!

Catherine said...

Love those doily stamps!

Unknown said...

wow lots of great things. I love the mustache stamps so cute!

Jen T said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I love to see all of the fun paper crafts.

Audrey Yeager said...

You totally mentioned a few of my FAVS! Those MME doiliy stamps! LOVE! Crate Paper: LOVE. Your photos are fantastic...this is the best review of CHA I have seen! Thanks!!!

TFern said...

TFS!! LOVE the paper kite...way too cute! There are so many things I hope I can get my hands on :O)

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

Wow! Love it all :)

Chica and Jo said...

Hey! We were at the show as well and did a write up of some of the fun things that we saw: http://www.chicaandjo.com/2011/02/02/cha-winter-2011-show/
Wish we could have met!

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

Hi! I am a new follower--what an AMAZING post! So many great inspirations, new brands to check out and ideas to try! Thank you for sharing everything, I wouldn't know what to do a a show like this...I would think I needed one of everything!
Thanks for letting me follow!
Jaime

Nicole Marie said...

OMGosh I do want 4 smash books!! :) I think I may try and make my own...but an idea book or maybe an inspiration book...hmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

WOWZA! Next time take me with you! I barely even know where to start... but one question I'm able to put into words is do you know where to get the Smash book online? Since reading this post, I've searched for it and read so many people talking about falling in love with it. I want one badly!

Emily Call said...

Such fun fun fun stuff!

Peace Love & All Things Creative said...

oh my gosh, did you like die in there? I would have!!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Smash books are not shipping yet, but soon. We will actually have more info on them soon!!

Supercutetilly said...

Wow !!

Rbk said...

There are things very beautiful and sweet,greeting from Spain!

Tiffany said...

I really luvd the inspiration in these photos! My brain is churning with ideas now. I think that spool wreath was my absolute favorite, how cute for a sewing room! thx for sharing.

kelly said...

thanks for sharing, drooling...!!
looking up where to get smashbooks, hope their available now!!!

Aubrielle said...

I'm DYING!!!! How do you get a ticket to the CHA? I would LOVE to go sometime!

Bethany Crowell said...

My head is still spinning! What an amazing time...and I'm so glad I got to experience it with YOU, my friend!
xox

swell.life said...

what a recap! judging by your photos it must have been total creative overload! i especially love jilibean's bird garland. really cute!

Gabi said...

Hello!

Thanks for the beatiful photos :)

I was at CHA in 2009 and I will strive to go next year (or next). I really wanted to have gone this year ...

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

OMG, how did I miss you??? Okay, I know how I missed you (that place was HUUUUUGE), but I am sad that I missed you!! Amazing recap. I am so proud of you for doing such a fab job taking pics & reporting back!!

-Heather

Lisa said...

I watched the slide show...FABulous!!! I can't seem to find the pics of the amazing little mini book, you said to look for at the end of slide show. I see were you have 576 pics but only 300 are coming up. Am I just being dense and not seeing the rest of them? I do believe that is totally possible... I just don't want to miss any more wonderful images and ideas.

Thanx,
Lisa

Mariska said...

Thanks for the sneak peak!! I would LOVE to walk around there. So many cute things!!!!!!!!!

-Sydney- said...

My eyes are drooling!

nest full of eggs said...

i'm dizzy ! thanks for sharing all this :)

Nic :) said...

Absolutely wonderful post!
Thanks so much for sharing, my mind is fizzing with inspiration and ideas!

Marisa said...

I LOVED your account of CHA from the eyes of a first-timer, I have never been but I would love to go and I'm sure it would be overwhelming and inspirational, just like you said. I know I will be looking back at your pictures for inspiration for quite a while. I wish your store hadn't closed, I'm from Maple Valley and it would be fun to visit and do the make & takes you used to do... keep up the good work, and I'm so glad you got to go to CHA!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs