Wednesday, September 29, 2010

seven-petal crochet flower pattern

I've had tons of requests for the pattern to this wide-center, seven-petal flower I crocheted for my bookmark post. I am really bad about writing down patterns for things--I usually just play around with my yarn and different sized hooks until I make something I like. So I finally had a chance to go back and figure out exactly what I did (thanks for your patience!). Luckily it's a really easy flower. It's similar to my five-petal pattern, so if you've tried the pattern in my How to Crochet A Flower video, you can do this one, too.



Seven-Petal Crochet Flower Pattern


Rnd 1: Ch 3, sl st to beg chain to form a ring.

Rnd 2: Ch 2 (counts as first dc), 6 dc in ring, sl st to top of first dc. (7 dc)

Rnd 3: Ch 2 (counts as first dc), 1 dc in same st, 2 dc in each of next 6 sts. Sl st to top of ch 2. (14 dc)

Rnd 4: Change thread color if desired. *Ch 2, 3dc in next st, ch 2, sl st in next st* across. Fasten off.

See--easy peasy! I like using a #10 crochet thread or embroidery floss for these little flowers, and a size 4/2.00mm hook. They're perfect for cards and scrapbook pages. But they can be done with any weight yarn and any size hook.

To add another petal, like in the eight-petaled flower below, simply add an addition dc in round 1. That will give you 8 dc, which will give you 16 dc on the next round, which is enough for 8 petals. E-mail me if you have questions!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
33 Comments

33 Responses to “seven-petal crochet flower pattern”

Jennie C. said...

I love crocheting your little flowers and butterflies. Thanks!

faith ann raider said...

Oh my goodness!! This is SO adorable!!

DANY said...

beautiful job lovely flowers
Dany

Stephanie said...

Ooh, I've been wanting to make those bookmarks for ages! Thanks for the pattern!

Elaine said...

Thanks! I've made your 5 petal flower and will give this one a try too!

barneyn said...

thanks for sharing your pattern! love your work!

ificould said...

I have also made your 5 petal flower- can't wait to try a 7 or 8- so cute!! I'm sharing this tutorial on my blog tomorrow!

Linda said...

Thanks for an adorable little pattern.

Atharva said...

thank u so much.........it's not for this particular post but about all ur crochet posts....till monday i had no idea about how to make a chain or even how to hold the hook....seein ur crochet posts made me run to the market and buy a hook and some wool..and since tuesday all my free time goes in learning to crochet...a lady i know is helping me...and i m takin help frm ur videos as well....but all the credit goes to u....i am loving crocheting.

Diana Civil Stylist said...

love the bookmarks - will be giving these a go...
great!

Anne said...

YAY! I have been waiting for this post for a super duper long time! I'm so glad you wrote the pattern, I've been wanting to make these as christmas gifts. YAY!

Anne

FloralShowers.com

pam said...

cute and fun

Unknown said...

Love your flower pattern. I would probably be giving it a try and use the crocheted flower to embellish my hair clips. Great thanks! :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That's lovely! Thanks so much for the pattern, I'll be linking.

Leena said...

Thank you so much for your patterns! I can't wait to start making the flowers and butterflies as hair clips for my niece. Quick question - what thread do you use for both the flowers and butterflies?

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Leena,

I usually use embroidery floss for my little flowers and butterflies, but I also get good results from size 3 crochet thread. :)

Piccolina Designs said...

So cute. I have used your five petal pattern over and over again, so excited about this one.

The South Florida Daniel Family said...

I love your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your secrets! I'm having so much fun crocheting flowers and making rosettes. Quick question. Where did you find the jumbo paperclip for the crocheted flower bookmark? I'd like to make one of these for my grandmother. Thanks!

The South Florida Daniel Family said...

Hi. Can you tell me where you found the jumbo paperclip in the crocheted 8-petal flower bookmark? I'd love to make one for my grandmother. Thanks!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

I found the jumbo paperclip at Staples! :)

The South Florida Daniel Family said...

Oh, thanks!!

MsJay said...

Thanks very much for the crochet pattern.

Rannie said...

Hi... I came searching - 'how to crochet a butterfly' and bingo.. your page popped up. The little red booties look fantastic with the white butterfly and blue body etc. Thank you so much!!

Unknown said...

I just found your site today and am hooked!! I've been making flowers all evening and attaching them to clips for my daughters hair. Thanks for the great video. I'm a visual learning and it was so easy to follow!!

Unknown said...

I just found you today and am so excited! I've been making flowers all evening thanks to your great video. I attached them to hair clips. My daughter is so excited to wear them tomorrow to school. Thanks for making it so easy for me to learn!

Southern Bee Events said...

I love your crocheted flowers, especially the paperclip bookmark. How did you attach the flower to the paperclip?

وطنية said...

L LOVE it
you are amazing

this is my little flower
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6123/6036914642_7bb97133e3_b.jpg

وطنية said...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6123/6036914642_7bb97133e3_b.jpg

this is my little flower

Sketched Soul said...

This is very pretty, thank you for sharing the pattern.

Unknown said...

Omg...i cant wait to make one :) they are adorable. How did you make this up?

Gayle said...

Beautiful. I am going to try these, One day!!!!

Conniecrafter said...

this is so pretty, thanks for sharing pattern

Unknown said...

The are all adorable they work up very quick Ty for sharing your a doll!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs