Monday, September 20, 2010

pear butter



We recently showed you how to can peaches. Last week I worked on canning my two boxes of pears. The process is quite similar to that of the peaches. You can click here for some great information and directions on canning pears.




After bottling my boxes of pears, I had a few left that I knew we couldn't eat. I had this recipe for pear butter that I was dying to try. I bottled it in small bottles because it's pretty rich, and I didn't think it would be something people would eat on everything.

Pear Butter

6 to 7 lbs. pears (about 20 medium)
4 c. sugar
1 tsp. grated orange peel
½ tsp. nutmeg
1/3 c. orange juice

To make pulp: Wash pears. Core, peel, and slice. Combine pears and ¼ c. water in a large saucepot. Simmer until pears are soft. Puree using a food processor, food mill, or blender, being careful not the liquefy. Measure 2 quarts pear pulp.

To make butter: Combine pear pulp and sugar in a large saucepot, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add remaining ingredients. Cook until thick enough to round up on a spoon (took me over 2 hours!). Cover with lid if it begins to bubble and splash out of pan. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.



Add some decorative paper to the lid, a tag, and wrap a ribbon around it and you have an adorably delicious gift!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
10 Comments

10 Responses to “pear butter”

Brenda said...

I heard Pears are a NIGHTMARE to can because of the peeling... Really, are they easy?

Mandy Crandell said...

Looks so good! Love the little tag.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

You have to peel them like potatoes, so it is time consuming, but I didn't find it to be too much more effort than peaches. I think canning anything is quite a process :)

Jessica said...

Yummy! Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing.

Shary said...

Yes! Just what I needed for the fall!

srldesign said...

it sounds delish! I'll have to try this one for my son. thanks for posting!

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

I love the way you have presented it so beautifully. I think I need to pop to the scrapbooking shop for some pretty flower thingies too. I've just made lots of strawberry jam and they are looking rather bare.

The Gourmet Groupie said...

sounds yummy. I just got a huge bag of pears in my organic buying club. I may to make this recipe this weekend. I love the way you labeled the jar.

KatieJ said...

What did you use for the syrup? They look gorgeous! I'm trying it this week and a little nervous.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Katie, it is just a light syrup. All the instructions are on the link at the top of the post. Happy canning! :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs