Tuesday, September 14, 2010

more fabric rosette fun - bracelets and headbands


We had a little break, but you didn't really think I was done with the fabric rosettes, did you? Here are a few more ways to use your little flowers on jewelry and such.

Our friend Melynie made (yes made, from scratch, no pattern--I know) this gorgeous baby blessing dress for her new little one. She wanted to make rosettes from tulle to cover the front of the bodice. Isn't it beautiful? Same technique, different fabric. I believe she even used Fabri-Tac to attach them.


So then of course she had to have a little headband to go with it. Melynie used the same fabric as she did for the dress to make a stretcy elastic headband, and added a fabric rosette and two tulle rosettes. Perfect for baby.


For bigger girls, here's a simple tutorial for a fabric rosette headband using a stretchy elastic headband. (Don't worry, I'm working on the grown-up version!)


Cut a piece of felt slightly smaller than your rosette.


Cover the felt with Fabri-Tac or other fabric glue. Lay your elastic headband in the center.


Press the glue side down on the back of your fabric rosette.

Voila!


I did the same technique with this little bunch of stretchy bracelets that I found in a multi-color pack (black, gold, silver, pearl) at Forever 21 (for about $3!).



But then I decided I wanted to be able to change the rosette to go with different outfits. So I tried something new.

That's right--Velcro. I added a small flap on my felt circle and attached a piece of Velcro to it. Then I attached the other side of the Velcro to the opposite side. Be sure to leave room for the bracelets to go in the middle!


Fold it over your bracelets.


Here's one with two little flowers side by side, just to change it up.



Okay, all you rosette-making machines out there, are you ready for more? I think I have one more post in me. If you're not too sick of it, I'll be sharing one more tutorial this week, along with the details of my upcoming mini class featuring, what else, fabric flowers. Stay tuned!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
15 Comments

15 Responses to “more fabric rosette fun - bracelets and headbands”

Anonymous said...

I like the flowers. My sister just bought a purse and it was marred before she had a chance to use it, so of course I remembered all of your tutorials and we saved the purse with some well placed flowers. :-)

Kimberly said...

I'm SOOO loving these fabric flowers! I've made so many! I'm really hoping your last tutorial is how to do the necklace! I've already bought a couple of chains to work on!!!! :) Keep up the good work! I love your site!

~~Deby said...

Ahhh-dorable....I was wondering (dangerous ya know) could you put down the glue on felt and wind your ribbon or fabric and let it stick the felt as you go ?...does that make sense...
Deby

Suzanne said...

Oh Em Gee!!! Sooo durn cute!! I love the dress and such a sweet headband to go with!

Kyla Armstrong said...

That dress is gorgeous!!!!! I love the idea for using fabric flowers.

Lacey said...

So not tired of these posts! Keep em coming!

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

I love this idea! How clever to add the velcro to mix and match!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Hi Deby,

Yes, you can put glue on the felt and stick it as you go. I have done this before when I want a flatter rosette. :) Try it and see if you like it!

~mandy

Sunny said...

This is fantastic and clever! love the bracelet with the turquoise flower

Julia said...

I loved this post so much that I included it in my blog:http://goat-notes.blogspot.com/2010/09/regain-your-creativity-creative-blogs.html

And I included the same article on my Examiner page: http://www.examiner.com/children-s-crafts-in-oakland/regain-your-creativity-series-creative-blogs

Enjoy!

Melinda said...

Love these flowers! I've been using them for my daughter in uniforms for school. Hairbows are her only individual outlet and we've been loving what these do to enhance her individuality with the variety they make!

Alisa said...

I'm new to your blog but I have been loving it! Please please please show us how to make the beautiful corsage necklace that has been showing up on a couple of posts.

lisajayne365 said...

Wow - these are beautiful. I was looking for a post on how to make fabric rosettes with a needle and thread but this sure looks easier and the flowers are prettier. Thank you for sharing your talent with us and not charging $$$.

Bless, Lisa
Urbancottagedecor.blogspot.com

Pinkish Blue said...

this is awsome!!! well done!!im gona do bunch of them:-D

Peach said...

It's Friday nite after a tough week, I've got a glass of wine and just happened upon your site, just heavenly and just what the doctor ordered, great job....I'm a therapist so that's what we say, lol. Peach

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs