Monday, September 6, 2010

moving kit - welcome home!


Not long ago, some good family friends moved into our neck of the woods from Utah. We knew they'd had a long drive, and since my husband and I were both working, we weren't able to help them unpack when they first arrived. So instead I put together a little moving-in kit to welcome them and do what I could to make their unpacking experience a little sweeter.


Moving-In Kit:
*Moving box
*Ribbon (it's gotta be cute, right?)
*Favorite drinks (don't forget the kiddos!)
*Favorite treats and snacks
*Advil
*Box cutter
Etc.


Moving-Out Kit
*All of the items from above plus:
*Tape gun
*Newspaper for packing fragile items
*Mix CD or favorite play list and iTunes card

I also included a welcome card with our phone numbers, e-mail, and address, so I they could get in touch when they needed help finding the closest Target, mall, cupcake joint, etc. {you know, the really important things. . .}.

This card used very minimal amounts of paper--scraps, really. I cut the word "home" with my Slice machine, and the flower was made using my crocheted flower tutorial, and just stapled on a tiny scrap of ribbon.

While I was at it, I used more of those scraps to make a couple more cards. They all use an old line from Making Memories (I doubt you can find it anywhere anymore, but I wanted to use up my scraps--they're still cute!). I also used rub-ons from Stampin' Up!, Thickers by American Crafts, and the Hodgepodge Hardware set from Stampin' Up!.


I love using "HB" for happy birthday. It saves so many letters (and lots of room)!


Even if you can't get the same supplies I used on these cards, it always helps me to have a template or design to work from. Jessica and have been talking about starting a regular card template series to give you basic ideas to use as a springboard--anyone interested? Any card makers out there?

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
18 Comments

18 Responses to “moving kit - welcome home!”

Anonymous said...

What a very sweet idea! When hubby and I bought our house last year the previous homeowner stocked the fridge with sodas, juice, and water, and also left all sorts of snacks and paper products like plates, napkins, garbage bags, and paper towels for us to make the transition easier. I can't tell you how much we appreciated that, so I know that this gesture you're making will be just as well-received! May you and your friends have many wonderful years together in your town!

Teresa aka Tess said...

These cards are lovely and you are such a sweet friend for crating the gift box for your friends. What a great "welcome to the neighborhood" idea.

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

I think it's a great idea! I love having an inspiration point to start from and make it my own. You guys do such great stuff, I use your flower tutorials ALL the time! In fact, I think I'm gonna bust out the crochet hooks right now and try out those darling flowers!

Heather said...

I love the idea of a "moving kit"! How thoughtful and sweet. :)

Mama.Mommy.Mom. said...

Super, super cute idea! Love the cards too!

Unknown said...

I love this! I am a huge fan of "just because" gifts! It's so fun to make up cute baskets for any occasion! I'm in the process of making a "Happy Football Season" box for the man! This is another great idea! Thanks for posting :)

Amanda said...

What a fantastic idea! And thanks for the link to the Slice, I have never heard of it before!

Kelli said...

I like your gift...what a thoughtful friend you are! Also, I LOVE the idea of card templates (please do this!). I couldn't contribute, but would love to get inspiration from you. Every year, I plan to make my Christmas cards (always hoping for them to be done in October), but dilly dally around til December and then rush to make them...not always the card I had envisioned. Maybe this year will be different? Maybe you could start with Christmas card templates???

Christy Wheeler said...

yes! I would love card templates! I always love new ideas.

Tutus N' Trucks said...

Such a FABULOUS idea! I love it!

Amy said...

Such cute ideas! Would love for you to start doing a card template a week/month post! I love making cards but run out of ideas pretty fast!

Kristi said...

Cute idea! And YES to card templates. One can never have enough jumping off points when it comes to creating new cards!

Amy said...

What a lovely idea! Your friend's are so lucky to have a good friend like you. I might try one of these kits for my friend who is moving out of her parents into her own place soon, she'd love it :D

Marisa said...

Card templates would be great, I love the cute things you've come up with so far, especially the glimmer misted seam binding.

Jess said...

Another card maker here - would love to get some more inspiration! :)

Amber said...

Super cute card ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Brett said...

I would love it if you'd do lots of cards! I love making cards but sometimes run out of ideas ...

Stacy Wilson said...

I think those are super cute! One quick idea for the move in kit, it would be wonderful to add in a roll of Toilet paper. LOL no matter how many times we seem to move we always get to the new house and someone needs to use the restroom and it seems to take way too long and riffling through too many boxes before we can find the needed supply!!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs