Friday, April 17, 2009

taco soup

Here in the Pacific Northwest where winter can get quite rainy, soup is a staple in my home. There is something about rainy weather that makes me want soup. It is always an inexpensive and quick meal option which is great as well. The weather has actually been warming up quite a bit and Mr. Sun has made many appearances in the last few weeks. This is a sign that soup season is coming to an end for me, so I had to sneak in this taco soup for dinner recently. My friend, Miranda shared this recipe with me last year and it is one of my absolute favorites. It is so easy to make and we all love it!


Taco Soup
1 can (16 oz) refried beans
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
1 1/2 cups frozen corn OR 1 can whole kernel corn
3/4 cup salsa
3/4 cup cubed cooked chicken OR 1 lb. ground beef, browned
1/2 cup water
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Tortilla chips, optional

In a large saucepan, combine first 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cheese. If you like, crumble tortilla chips on bottom of bowl and ladle soup over chips. You can also just crush a few chips on top of the soup if you prefer. It's also great topped with a spoonful of sour cream.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
18 Comments

18 Responses to “taco soup”

Cheryl Houston said...

And topped with some avacado. Looks yummy.

Atticelf said...

It is drizzly again today. :( This looks like the perfect pick-me-up!

Natalie said...

I make a beef taco soup all the time and put it over greens. It's an awesome taco salad.

I'm def. gonna give this a try with chicken. Sounds yummy with the refried beans in it...I haven't tried that.

Colleen said...

Thanks for sharing! I've often heard of this, but never seen a recipe, but think I'll be making this one soon! Cheers!

Jessica Munk said...

Oooo, do you have any more good soup recipes to share?! I always like good homemade soups!

styledarling said...

OMG I loove taco soup!! I will have to try your recipe in the next couple of weeks. Thank you!!

Anina said...

I printed this. I'm always looking for yummy quick dinner ideas that'll give me more time to sew. :o)
Thanks!

Diana said...

Ah, our favorite recipe to use the rotisserie chicken carcass...

Anonymous said...

i am going to make this asap...ann

Marci said...

Taco soup is one of my favorites!

Amanda said...

I make soup with ground beef similar to this and my family loves it. I'll have to try yours with the chicken. It sounds really good too. Thanks for the recipe.

Unknown said...

I love this soup! When we have lunches at school, one of our teachers always brings this dish, and it is always the first one to go!

Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca the Housewrecka said...

This looks great! I'll definitely give it a try. I love Mexican food.

Anonymous said...

Looks Delicious! I should try it sometime!

SHERRY ZEHNER said...

I love your blog, and the little birdies are too cute! This soup sounds delicious...I'm going to try it the next time I go grocery shopping! Sherry

Alena Jo said...

Any ideas about how to suit this recipe for the crockpot? I'm always using the crockpot for dinner, so I'm not stressed right before dinner and the time right before my hubby comes home!

Rhey said...

I made this last night with a couple alterations. I used pinto beans instead of kidney (personal preference) and I added cumin, paprika, and oregano. I did not stir in the cheese, but instead ladled the soup into a bowl, topped it with tortilla chips, then sprinkled on the cheese and threw it under the broiler for a couple minutes. This one will definitely make it into the regular rotation, it was great. Thanks for the recipe!

Alena Jo said...

I tried it in the crock pot. I had it on low for about 4 hours. It was wonderful! I didn't have enough ground turkey, so I did some ground turkey and some diced, cooked chicken. I didn't have a can of chicken broth, so I used chicken boullion cubes and water. I added a bit too much water and it was too soupy for me. So, I added an extra can of refried beans and a half cup of rice. I absolutely loved it!! My husband really liked it too. The next day we had it over rice. Yum! My kids didn't think it looked good. But, once they tried it, they liked it fine. They're so picky!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs