Saturday, April 11, 2009

meet our new friend - L. Herbert Designs

We're excited to introduce you to one of our newest friends, Laryssa Herbert of L. Herbert Designs! Laryssa creates beautiful, hand-painted works of art and sells the prints in her Etsy store (for very reasonable prices, might I add). We love stories about how supermoms like Laryssa are able to take their passion and turn it into a business. We asked her to tell us a little about herself and how she got her business started.

I'm a Christian, stay-at-home mom. I've been married for 11 years to the sweetest man on earth and we have two beautiful children that I also homeschool.

I have enjoyed art all my life, even as a child I loved to draw and paint. I took some art classes in while I was in school. (I was homeschooled from third grade through high school.) I have continued painting throughout my adult life, but just for myself or for gifts. I always wanted to have my own business, but didn't know where to start.
I opened an Etsy shop last fall to see how my artwork would sell. It did okay. This was before we bought the special equipment to produce our own prints, so I was painting every one by hand. It was a lot of hard work and I couldn't price them high enough to make much profit.

Last November, I emailed Nester from Nesting Place and I ended up being one of her ad partners. When we introduced the first special edition egg and feather prints, all fifty sets sold out in 24 hours!

My prints are special, because they are truly hand made! I paint the originals and my husband and I cut the paper, print the paintings, ship and mail them all ourselves. You also can't get these prints in any big box store. I really like unique art for my home, but I don't like the outrageous prices that most artists charge! That's why I've priced my artwork affordably. I want the paintings in your hands, so you can enjoy them!
How do I find balance? To be honest, sometimes I don't. I have a lot going on, so I paint while my kids are with me and they're watching a quality video. I also work while my youngest is napping or at night after they are in bed. My first passion is taking good care of my family, so my business sometimes has to wait.

If you want to start your own business, the most important advice I'd like to give you, is to not be afraid. Just start, if it doesn't work at first, just keep trying! If you are doing something you are passionate about, something you enjoy, then it's ok if things take a while...because, you are having fun!

Check out Laryssa's gorgeous prints in her Etsy store. We're so happy to have her as our sponsor!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
5 Comments

5 Responses to “meet our new friend - L. Herbert Designs”

Unknown said...

I have three of Laryssa's pears that she painted in my kitchen. Love them!

Laryssa @ Heaven In The Home said...

Thank you for this sweet post! I'm enjoying being a sponsor of your awesome blog. Have a blessed Easter!

Kelly O. said...

OH this was perfect timing! within 2 seconds of seeing that zebra print shoe I knew I had to have it for my mom who is a pastor! It is wonderful! thank you for posting about Laryssa!

Kathy said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog. And I LOVE your "heels" print. I am an "artist" too (I add quotes for me because I don't feel like I can call myself an artist just yet). I LOVE this scripture and have been rattling an artistic interpretation of it in my head for about a year now. Love yours! I have an etsy shop too. I'm VERY new!

Anyway, love your blog and will check in more often and good luck with your etsy shop!

Kathy said...

Oh! Sorry I should have read it first! But thank you for featuring this artist!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs