Wednesday, April 15, 2009

italian herb seasoning


We had a couple of hours of sun yesterday, so I used the break in the rain to start planting my little container garden. One of the things I love to grow is fresh herbs. It's such a bummer not to be able to step out onto my patio and pick my own herbs during the colder months. If you plant them now, you'll have plenty to dry so you can enjoy them all winter long. Here are some easy instructions for making a delicious Italian herb seasoning mix.

Italian Seasoning Mix

Since my own fresh herbs aren't ready yet, I bought organic fresh herbs from the local grocery store.

The herbs I used were:
Basil
Oregano
Margoram
Thyme
Rosemary


Here is an awesome tutorial from About.com on how to dry your herbs
.


When they're dried, use a chopper or food processor to chop them.



When each of the herbs was chopped, we used equal parts of each for our seasoning mix, about two tablespoons of each. You cannot believe how good they smell. My little guy walked into the kitchen while I was chopping and said, "Mom, are you making pizza? It smells yummy!"


Then I packaged them in a little altered tin. These would make a great gift for the foodie in your life!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
6 Comments

6 Responses to “italian herb seasoning”

Laryssa @ Heaven In The Home said...

I'll do this with the herbs that made it through the winter and the ones I'll plant this spring. I really like the idea of the altered tin for gift giving! Thanks!

Claire said...

Oh, I really like this idea. I already have these herbs growing in my garden (although the margoram is suffocating the thyme out of existence) so I can see that this will make for brilliant, simple and frugal gifts this year. Thank you!

katef - www.picklebums.com said...

What a great idea to give as a gift! being on the other side of the world my herbs might just be ready to harvest and dry before Christmas!

Stacey said...

So clever! Thanks

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Genius - looks awesome.

MissKarenAshley said...

I love this post. I have a serious case of Spring Fever and have always wanted to plant my own herbs. I feel inspired!

Miss K
http://simplylovelyideas.blogspot.com

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs