Sunday, August 10, 2008

make a memory (board)

So you made a couple dozen of our fabric-covered thumbtacks, but you have pictures and other lovelies you don't want full of holes. No problem. We have you covered (in fabric once again). Here is a simple tutorial to make your own memory board, a beautiful way to save and display pictures, cards, and other memorabilia--just tuck items behind the ribbon. We love this project because you can make it to fit any decor!

Memory Board Tutorial

What you'll need:

*Artist canvas (whatever size suits your space--we used 14x18")
*Staple gun
*Scissors
*Fabric of your choice (enough to cover your canvas and wrap around the back a little--we used a fat quarter from Amy Butler's Midwest Modern line)
*Ribbon (enough to make six diagonal crossing lines across your canvas)
*Brads
*Buttons (optional)
*Strong craft glue, such as E6000 (if using buttons)

Okay, let's get started.

1. Iron fabric if necessary, lay right-side down on the floor or a table. Center canvas on fabric.
2. Wrap fabric around one edge and staple to the wood part of the frame. Pull fabric taut and repeat on opposite side. Repeat on the other two sides, folding corners nicely as you go.

3. Turn canvas back over and lay ribbon diagonally across center of canvas and cut, allowing enough to wrap around to the back. Staple to wood. Repeat with two more lengths of ribbon on each side of center ribbon, spacing evenly.

4. Repeat ribbon from opposite diagonal, crossing the first three ribbons.

5. Where each ribbon intersects, push a brad through to hold ribbon in place. Fasten brad on back of canvas.


6. You may be done at this point, but if you have some coordinating buttons, glue them on top of each brad. Allow to dry according to glue's package directions.


7. That's it! Hang your board and enjoy your memories--sans holes.


Oh, and we'd like to give a shout out to our lovely hand model, Lori! :)

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
7 Comments

7 Responses to “make a memory (board)”

Unknown said...

The lovley hand really give this project a special quality...

Anonymous said...

I love this project! I have always wanted to make one but not have found a tutorial that as good picture examples and step by step as this! Thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

I made two of these for my children. My little boy chose a batman emblem fabric and black ribbon, and my little girl wanted pink (surprised?!)gingham.They both love them, now I just have to put them on the wall! Thanks for the great idea!

Kath' said...

I started one of these with a regular flat board. I wasnt sure if I WAS doing the ribbon right though. Do you have a back shot by chance ? lol
Thanks sorry I am thank ful you did a tutorial.. KATH'

lillymegan said...

I'm making one for my daughter for Christmas (thanks for the tutorial) I was wondering if a hot glue gun would work in leu of the staple gun and strong glue? Thanks

Little Birdie Secrets said...

I am not sure about the hot glue gun, but it is worth a try. Let us know how it turns out.

mommyof4 said...

Hi! I make a lot of these for my dd (6.5), nieces, etc. If you want to make it easy on yourself, get the canvas boards that are 16x20. Most fat quarters are about 18x21 or 18x22. Then there's no wasted fabric. Also be sure to print off coupons online to get 50% off at Joann's or Michael's or for whatever your local craft store is. Also, on the back side, when I make these for friends or as gifts, I take additional ribbon and cover the fabric edges (makes it look a little more finished). :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs