The three little birdies love easy, and this is about the easiest project you'll ever try. We've converted these fabric-covered buttons into thumbtacks and magnets, and they're perfect for dressing up a boring cork board or decorating your refrigerator door. It's also a great way to use up all those tiny fabric scraps you can't bear to throw away! They make a darling gift, too. We found cork tiles at JoAnn Fabric & Crafts and cut them into smaller squares to present the tacks. You can cut them into any design. They also had some pre-cut cork in the shape of little tea pots. So cute. Add a few of your thumb tacks and a ribbon and you've got a darling handmade gift in no time flat. Seriously, they only take a minute. Here's the step by step:
Fabric-Covered Button Thumbtacks (or Magnets) Tutorial
What you'll need:
*Fabric-covered button starter kit (we used the Dritz brand in the 3/4" size, but you can use any size to suit your taste)
*Scraps of fun fabric slightly larger than the size of your buttons
*Strong craft glue, such as E6000
*Thumbtacks or magnets
1. With your pliers, pull the metal hook out of the back of the button. You don't need this since you won't be sewing it to anything.
2. Cut out circles of fabric from your scraps using the pattern on the back of the package (they don't have to be perfect). Smaller prints work best when choosing fabric. Here's a tip: take the button top and move it around under your fabric until you see a part of the pattern that would look good on your button, then center your circle pattern there and cut it out.
3. Push the fabric right-side down into the plastic cap that comes with the starter kit. Put the metal button top-side down inside and press until flush.
4. Put the metal backing inside and place small plastic cap behind that. Press until flush. Remove the cap. Your button is covered! (Isn't it adorable?)
5. Using a strong craft glue, glue the top of the thumbtack or magnet onto the back of the button. Allow to dry according to adhesive's package directions (24 hours for E6000).
6. Now make tons more because they're so incredibly easy and fabulous. Then pin something up to show off your new creations!
Four thumbtacks on a piece of cork make a great thank-you gift!
We used a larger size for some funky magnets.
After you make a few for yourself, post them on our Flickr group so we can see your creations!
share this on »