Monday, November 8, 2010

holiday weekly menu boards {and how to line up your vinyl lettering}

You may have seen our weekly menu board post a couple of months ago. . .


Well, we have a few new ideas and tips for you! See, Mandy is such a sweet friend that after she did this post, she went and bought me a frame and cut out some vinyl so I could make my own menu board. On top of that, when I visited her house last week so we could finish it and take pictures for this post, she basically did my whole menu board while I made sure my little guy didn't turn her house completely upside-down! True friendship at its finest.

So onto our new menu-board tips...

Our friend Shelley mentioned a great tip to us. To get your days of the week lined up on the board, use your cutting mat. Simply lay your glass part of the frame on the grid and you can measure exactly how far apart you want your words. It also helps you see if it is straight. Fabulous!


We also used the Silhouette Pick-Me-Up tool in order to stick the letter down to the glass since they tend to cling to the paper.



Another idea I had was to switch out different papers in your menu board to celebrate different holidays! There are so many fun and festive options that would be great for any holiday. I pulled out several papers from my stash and it seemed like all of them would fit with several different holidays.
Take a peak...












See, the menu board options are endless. And one final tip...If you don't have a good place to put a menu board, stick four of our super strong magnets on the back and you're ready to hang your board on your refrigerator where it's out of the way (but in the way enough that you notice it). Happy meal planning!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
13 Comments

13 Responses to “holiday weekly menu boards {and how to line up your vinyl lettering}”

Settee said...

I love this meal menu board and it would make a fab holiday gift. However, I am not a owner of a fancy vinyl cutter and I was wondering if you could suggest someone who could make the lettering for me? Perhaps someone you know that would be willing to make a few for sale? if you are able to let me know that would be fabulous!
Again love this! :-)
settee@gmail.com

Rachel Parker said...

This looks like so much fun! I learned the hard way a week or so ago that the cheap frames with plastic instead of glass aren't as awesome at using for menus. After leaving the writing on for 3 days or so it was really difficult to get it to come back up (and there's still some left :().

Jo-anne Blossy said...

I'm glad you did another post with these menu boards. I wanted to make one but kept forgetting

Hillary (Mrs. Einstein) said...

I actually made one of these after you first posted about them. I used an old picture frame, and since I didn't have vinyl, I just used alphabet stickers. It's way cute! Thanks for the great idea!

The Seaman Family said...

I love this idea! Can't wait to make one of my own....

Unknown said...

Very, very cute idea! Thanks for posting.

My Daily Creation said...

Love these! I am totally making some for Christmas gifts! :)

LacyHolly said...

I love this idea! At this point in my life we can't exactly make a menu. I work midnights and my boyfriend works afternoons...we never really eat together very often. I can't wait until we can start making a menu though! I'll have to remember this trick to get them lined up evenly :)

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Love it!

Going to find a cute frame, STAT. I think chalk markers would be even better than dry erase. Ya know, like the ones the write on in cafes and the like. I just picked up a set at Michaels last week.

www.momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

I loved this idea when I first saw it. I got a Silhouette machine for my birthday this summer but I haven't been able to cut vinyl lettering yet. It is a big mess and I have wasted so much vinyl (and time) trying to make this project. The letters either don't get cut deep enough and won't lift off the vinyl, or they do cut all the way through but get messed up while the machine is cutting the rest. Someday hopefully I can make this. It would be GREAT if someone who has had great success with this machine could do a post on some tricks of the trade.

Paige said...

I saw the original post on this and HAD TO HAVE ONE. I don't have a machine to cut the vinyl, so I improvised and I am thrilled with the results. I also chose not to do the days of the week. My family LOVES it! Thank you SO much for the inspiration. See what I did here: http://thecondrays.blogspot.com/2010/08/am-so-lovin-my-new-dry-erase-menu-board.html

thedoodlegirl said...

*Love* It would help so much to get organized and let the kids see what to expect!

Anonymous said...

These are soooo organizationally chic! Love them! My boys would, too - to know how long they can suffer a food strike until their favorite food crosses their plate.

You might like my chalkboard pots!!
http://bluecottonmemory.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/chalkboard-pots-boo/

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs