Monday, November 22, 2010

mandy's famous thanksgiving yams recipe

I was never a huge yam fan at Thanksgiving, that is until the year my mom made this recipe. We call them Thanksgiving "Yums". They're too yummy to be called yams. They're like a dessert, really, although forget the marshmallows. Whenever I offer to bring my yams to a Thanksgiving dinner for the first time, I always get, "Sure, you can bring them if you're family likes them." Then they try them. And then they know why I call them my "famous" Thanksgiving Yums.

Mandy's Famous Thanksgiving Yams {or Yums} Recipe


4 c. mashed yams (about 4-5 large yams, peeled, quartered, and boiled until tender)
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. melted butter
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg

Put ingredients in a large bowl. Blend together with a mixer or beaters and put in a greased casserole dish (approx. 9" x 13").

Topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. melted butter
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Mix and drop spoonfuls on top of yams. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. These are simply divine.

Note: I often put these together the night before but don't bake them. Then I can just stick them in the oven on the big day so I have more time to fret over my turkey.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
8 Comments

8 Responses to “mandy's famous thanksgiving yams recipe”

Shana Putnam said...

Yummy Indeed! I will have to try your recipe and see if it is as good as it looks. Check my blog out, I put my fave Christmas treat on tonight lol.

My Daily Creation said...

That looks yummy! I am a little tired of our usual yam offering, think I may try this one. Thanks for the recipe!!

:)

la Naváa said...

Ahh- I like the no marshmellow part! I'm going to give this a test run. I'm off the hook for Thanksgiving this year, but I am hosting xmas. Yams should be ok for xmas right?

Amanda said...

I made this for today and it turned out great! The sweet potato haters even liked it. Definitely not a low fat recipe though.

I took a lot of care to get a smooth texture with min. After boiling the potatoes I pressed them through a ricer and that removed a lot of the strings and then I used an immersion blender to do the mixing. The texture was dreamy smooth... more like pumpkin pie filling than sweet potatoes.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Amanda, I have never had to strain or de-string my yams before! Mine always whip up soft and creamy in a few seconds. Maybe sweet potatoes have a little different consistency.

And yes, la Navaa, these are great for Christmas! I get requests for them every Christmas, too!

Amanda said...

Yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing, most of the time. True yams are a tuber from Africa. Different areas just say one or the other (soda vs. pop). You can skip the destringing, but I think it makes a difference. Those strings are just wholly unappetizing.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Weird, I have never had strings in my yams before! Thanks for the info!

Unknown said...

We've made this recipe twice now and loved it both times! Reposting it on our blog (with links back of course!) in a few days. Thanks for such an amazing recipe!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs