Wednesday, September 15, 2010

weekly wipe-off menu board & magnets

For everyone who placed a pre-order for the pinless flower magnets, magnets have shipped! You should have them soon. There are still a few more left in the shop.

I found another great way to use these super strong magnets. Remember my original guest post over at Make and Takes? Well if you missed it, here it is again, with a twist. I added four of my magnets to the back (one on each corner) and hung it on the side of the refrigerator.

I'm much happier with it there. It just works better in my kitchen. So the pinless flower backs aren't just for flowers I guess! If you didn't get some yet, I have a few more listed in the shop (and more on hand if you need higher quantities), but get them quick--my store will be closed starting this weekend while I'm out of town for a while.

Wipe-Off Menu Board Tutorial

Supplies:

  • Picture frame with glass front (I love these 12×12 frames I found at Ben Franklin for only $7!)
  • Piece of patterned scrapbook paper to fit in your frame (mine’s also 12×12)
  • Optional: Vinyl cut letters for each day of the week (you could always just hand write them)
  • Dry-erase marker
  • Optional: four heavy-duty magnets to hang it on your refrigerator

1. Put your patterned paper inside the frame. Replace the back. That’s pretty much it. :)

2. If you wanted to stop here, you could hand-write your days of the week on the glass, or use it as a message board / to-do list. I love that these frames can stand or hang on the wall so you can do whatever works best in your space!

3. Use a paper towel or cloth to easily erase dry-erase marker off the glass.

4. If you want to get fancy and go a step further, you can add vinyl lettering for the days of the week. I cut these letters with my Silhouette machine, using Creating Keepsakes “Woodbine Swashes” font. (Try not to notice how crooked “Sunday” is. I didn’t notice until after the picture was taken. Luckily, it’s easy to fix!)

Now everyone in the family knows what’s for dinner each week!

The best part about this project is that it is SO easy to change the paper if you decide to change your decor, or if you just get tired of it. So you’ll really use it for years to come!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
31 Comments

31 Responses to “weekly wipe-off menu board & magnets”

JenMarie said...

Had to make my own! http://taylormadebyjenmarie.blogspot.com/2010/09/ippity-blossom-day-sale.html

Natalie said...

love this idea! how do you adhere the magnets to the frame?

Mandy Crandell said...

What a wonderful little idea!

Paula Louceiro said...

I loved this idea too. Thank you for share.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! this is such a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Very cute project! It looks great.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm so glad I read this. I made a magnet board to hang on my fridge but no magnet in the world will hold it up there. I have to get these magnets!! Thanks for the tips.

Rachel said...

Dang! I was a little too late before the shop sold out. I want to buy some!!!!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Rachel, I just added more magnets to the shop. :)

Tanya said...

Love your idea :)

Thanks for sharing!

Jilly Bean said...

I love this! I want one! I wish I had a Ben Franklin near me. I haven't seen one in over a decade since I moved away form the northwest.

The Preppy Strawberry said...

Love this idea! Definitely going on my craft to do list! Thanks for sharing! ;)

Kari V. said...

I love this idea! You can change out the scrapbook paper for a new look...or for holidays! Ok, I'm gonna try it. And I love that your magnets are strong enough to hold that frame up on the fridge.

lisa westphal said...

Great idea!!! I will definitely have to try something similar! :)

McKell + Garrett Hartle said...

so cute! thanks for the idea

Ambrosia said...

I can't wait to make this for myself!! Now I'm off to find just the right paper.

Sharrie Lynn said...

LOVE the magnet idea! I made this when I saw your original post, now I'm going to hang it on the fridge! Thank you :)

Kiki Fangupo said...

LOVE this!!! thanks so much for sharing!

Abby Davis said...

This is a really great idea. Next time you want to use words, to make sure they are straight, put a piece of lined paper on the back side of the glass, apply your words using the lines as your guide, replace lined paper with the fancy paper and finish the project like you did.

My mom was a calligrapher, so she always used a lined acetate sheet and a light box when she was working.

Katelyn said...

looking through your blog, I stopped at this post. your handwriting is so similar to mine I almost thought i had written it!

Cynthia said...

I am planning to make a couple of these for Christmas presents...but I am having a hard time deciding what size to have the vinyl letters cut...what size is your lettering?

Melissa said...

So I love this idea and made one for my sister for Christmas, only I can't get it to stay on the fridge without sliding down. I used a 12x12 frame - nothing bigger than your example. And I bought and used your magnets. I have all 7 or so that came in the pack on the back and it still won't stay. Any one else had this problem?

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Melissa,

I've noticed that I have to hang my frame in a specific areas of my fridge or it slides down, too. There must be places where magnets just can't stick as well. I guess my only advice is to try another spot on the fridge!

LuckyRedHen said...

Cut the vinyl in mirror form so it can be stuck to the INSIDE of glass. That way you don't snag the words when you (or your kidlets) wipe :)

If you have strong enough magnets, add a sheet of metal behind the paper and it's a multi-purpose board!

Amanda Craft said...

I love this! I'm going to make my own this week! I was wondering if you'd be able to add more of those magnets to your shop? And if you can't, is there another type you'd be able to recommend from Joann's or Michaels? Thanks!!!

Bridget said...

Made one of these about about 5 weeks ago and it has changed my life (i'm serious). Thanks for the great idea! I blogged about it here http://youmeandz.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I saw this on "Make and Takes". I love this idea! I am going to have to do this!!

Jennifer said...

Great tutorial! I love that you can customize it so easily. I featured you today on my gift idea roundup as part of my Christmas In July series :)

http://sunshineandchaucer.blogspot.com/2011/07/christmas-gift-ideas.html

Erin said...

Do you know where else I could buy those strong magnets? Looks like you don't sell them at your shop anymore.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

I don't sell the magnets anymore, but one great online site you can use is http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Unknown said...

Really love this Menu Board! Can you tell me what size font you used for the days of the week.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs