Tuesday, February 23, 2010

how to make a hanger space-saver

Need a little more room in your closet? Try one of these hanger space savers. This ribbon space saver allows you to get a few more items in your closet without taking up more rack or bar space.




Ribbon Space-Saver Hanger Tutorial


*Ribbon or belting - You will need ribbon if you are making a closet space saver for baby, children, or lightweight clothing. Use strong belting/webbing if you are making this to hold heavier clothing items. I used a ribbon that was 25 inches long. My loops were pretty big, so I may use a shorter ribbon next time.
*D-Rings-we used 1 1/4"
*Sewing machine and thread



First, sew a loop in the top of your ribbon with a D-ring inside. I folded it over twice for clean edges. You will use the D-ring to hang on the first hanger.


Next, sew loops evenly down your ribbon. Make sure you stitch each loop down with a couple of lines or go back over your work. Only one sewn line will rip through. You will want to make sure it is fully reinforced.


For your final loop, make a circle and sew it down. This way you will not have any exposed ribbon edges.


This is what your hanger space saver should look like from the back.


And here's the hanger space saver from the front.


Hang the D-ring on your first hanger, then slip additional hangers through all the loops on your space saver. No more clothes on the floor--yea!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
32 Comments

32 Responses to “how to make a hanger space-saver”

Raewyn said...

That is such a fabulous idea! Well done!

Raewyn said...

I love it! I'll have to make myself a few.

MitziMakes said...

What a great idea! Thanks!

MitziMakes said...

What a great idea! Thanks!

Jilly's Space said...

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing :-)

LuckyStarErin said...

now that's a cool idea!

Kat said...

What a GREAT idea!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

It looks so easy! I need to make some.

Unknown said...

What a fabulous idea!

Carol said...

What a great idea! I'm going to be making some of these! Ooh, they' make great gifts too!

Mary Beth said...

one of those, why didn;t I think of that super neat ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Man you are so clever!! Cute idea. Thanks for the great tutorial. You always do great pics! Jenn

Melissa said...

You are my new hero. Thanks so much for the tute!

Liz @ LivingMySweetLife said...

I have wanted to buy these hangers forever! I can't wait to make my own set!

Phares said...

What a great idea! I will use this to keep my daughters outfits together! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

As someone who lives in a small house (950 sq ft). I love space-saving ideas. Thank you!

Anne said...

this is a very cute idea...sometimes I make things too complicated---like thinking I would have to buy one of these instead of realizing how simple it would be to make one.

Anne
floralshowers.com

Teri said...

what a great idea!! :)

Jud565 said...

Love this tip! Thanks for sharing!

Anne said...

This is SO stinkin' smart! And so much cuter than the ugly plastic ones you can buy!

I blogged about your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-diy-clothes-hanger-space-saver/2010/02/23/

--Anne

Anonymous said...

so glad I saw this on craft gossip. I want to make a garmet bag of home decor and trying to figure out how to do the hangers. Thanks so much for sharing.

Laura Hooker said...

OH WOW!!!! Love this~thanks for sharing!!!!

Carla said...

I love this idea. Thanks for the tut. I want to make some for gifts.

happeningswithLana said...

Terrific ideal! I think it would be nice to use as gifts. I love the ideals you guys come up with. I have referred several people to the blog. Thanks for sharing!

kim said...

this is such a cute idea...I'm going to have to try this!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is way smart! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll be linking to this.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny that we're often so amazed by this type of things. We've gotten so used to plastic replacements from Walmart that we forget how much can be homemade.
Thanks for the reminder and a great tutorial.
Nicole

blueberrymoon said...

So great for grouping the kids out fits together!! Thanks so much for the tut!!!

Unknown said...

What would you suggest using instead of ribbon for heavier clothing? I want to make this but haven't a clue what type of webbing to get!

I love this idea, so great.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Hi Brandi,

Try belting. That is the stuff they use for handles on totes and such. You can find it both online and in fabric stores. It comes in a lot of different colors too so you can find one that matches your personality :)

Kat said...

Just (finally) made one. Love it!! I'm trying to get myself organized to get at least a few work outfits put together each weekend for the coming week, so these will come in SO handy!

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this idea. This is just wonderful. I really need to make some of this because my wife and kids just got lots of clothes and this space saver will definitely save space in their closets Bergen! Thank you again for sharing. I hope you keep on posting materials like this.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs