Saturday, July 31, 2010

ribbon embellished picture frames

In case you missed our guest post in conjunction with the Holiday Craft Along, here's the full post. And don't miss this beautiful frame, for sale now under the "Buy Handmade" link at the top of the page! Enjoy!

We're so happy to be a part of the Handmade Holiday Craft-A-Long, mostly because we're in such good company! And also because I'm probably the biggest procrastinator in America, so I love the thought of getting a jump start on holiday gifts. This craft is quick and easy (it took me about 5 minutes), and will work for almost anyone on your Christmas gift list! (I'm thinking my husband would be less-than-thrilled with this--pretty sure I'm not alone on that one.) But think sisters, moms, friends, neighbors, and you've pretty much got the girly gifts covered!

Ribbon Embellished Picture Frame Tutorial

What You'll Need:
*Any picture frame--I'm using wood frames I already had covered with paper or wall paper
*Coordinating ribbon--I used wired ribbon, but you can also stiffen non-wired ribbon with fabric stiffener if you want)
*Button
*Needle and thread (I used transparent thread so I didn't have to match it!)
*Hot glue gun

1. Start by tying a knot in your ribbon, leaving some length on either end. Then tie a nice bow. Cut off tails at an angle.


2. If you're using a ribbon stiffener, spray your bow now and arrange the tails how you want them. Allow to dry according to stiffener's instructions.

3. Take your button and hand sew it on top of the center knot of your bow.



4. Apply a little hot glue on the back of the knot. Quickly place it on your frame. I centered mine along the top, but get creative! It might be cute off-centered or at the bottom.



That's it!

It would also be fun to make frames specifically for the holidays to get out with your decorations and show off those Santa pics each year. (I just couldn't quite get in red-and-green mode to put together a sample!)

Here's another example using a fabric rosette for the center of the bow (instead of a button). Pretty gorgeous, huh? The most beautiful part is how easy they are. Merry Christmas!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
8 Comments

8 Responses to “ribbon embellished picture frames”

Jen said...

I LOVE this!! Would it be alright if I featured your tutorial on my blog? I know my readers would love this as muchas I do! :0)

Jen @ Frame Fanatic

Jen said...

Almost forgot...here's my blog address in case you want to check it out!
http://framefanatic.blogspot.com

☼ Carolina ☼ said...

Hola!
lo encuentro súper lindo! gran trabajo!!
besitos
c@

Jennifer Galatioto said...

these are really beautiful!

N said...

These are so beautiful! I love them

Shannon said...

I have made these before. Very cute and easy. So it KILLS me when I see them in gift stores for $50!!

Charlotte said...

Beautiful picture frames! I like how you used ribbons.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, those are so pretty! Thanks so much for the great gift idea, I'll be linking.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs