Friday, July 23, 2010

cowboy caviar


Something about summer screams fresh veggies to me. Fresh salads, corn on the cob and salsa to name a few. My friend, Amanda gave me this recipe after she made it for a 4th of July BBQ last year and I can never get enough of it. She calls it veggie salsa, but when another friend called it cowboy caviar, that stuck for me. I know there are many versions of this out there, but I love this one.

Cowboy Caviar
1 can corn
1 can black beans, drained
3 large tomatoes, chopped
3 large avocados, chopped
2 Tbs chopped green onions
1 package dry Italian dressing
2 Tbs olive oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 Tbs water

In a large bowl mix corn, peas, tomatoes, avocados and onions. In another bowl mix the dry Italian dressing, olive oil, vinegar and water. Pour the dressing over the vegetable mixture and toss until evenly coated. Serve with tortilla chips.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
20 Comments

20 Responses to “cowboy caviar”

Anonymous said...

This would soothe my southern soul! Sounds YUMMY!

Unknown said...

It looks delicious!
Thank for the recipe.
Regards from Colombia.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Visit my Amigurumi's Blog!

Gina said...

That looks delicious!

Unknown said...

That looks awesome. And healthy! How long does it last in the fridge?

Kate said...

I love the name-lol! I make something very similar to this and love it, am going to try your version soon. Thanks for sharing! :)

Megs said...

I love seeing the Friday recipes back!!

Tina said...

We love this! Add a couple dashes of hot sauce to spice it up...yum!

Erica said...

Super Yum! I am going to try this asap!!

The Encouraging Mom said...

Yum this looks great! I left a blog award for you over at my blog. :) http://encouragingmom.blogspot.com/

Jenna

Little Birdie Secrets said...

I am not sure how long this lasts in the fridge since at our house it is gone in a couple days! :) I am sure after a while it starts to get mushy since there is dressing on it, so probably until then!

Jennifer said...

My neighbor makes a version of this and calls it Texas Caviar! It's SO SO GOOD!! Thanks for the recipe!!

D said...

This is my fave salsa recipe! SOOOOOO yummy!

Erica said...

Just wanted to follow up and let you know that I made this today with our mexican lunch and my husband LOVED it! It is really easy and delicious! Great summer salsa :) Thanks

Anonymous said...

This is the recipe we love, too, except we add 1/4 C FRESH cilantro - puts it right over the top!

Tauni said...

Yum. Love this stuff! We like to add a bit of a kick with jalepenos or tabasco.

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

this looks so good. I make something similar (minus the dressing) and add mango - it's always a hit!

VickiT said...

Oh YUM! That looks like it would be super tasty. What's even better is that you actually could use this for a light summer meal because of the black beans.
Thanks for passing this one on.

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Delish! Thanks for sharing!

ss said...

They are very nice foods .your for hands of health .

Jenna said...

Yummo!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs