Thursday, July 1, 2010

marble spiders - from the mind of grandpa


Spend two minutes with my dad and you'll know where I got my creative side. He is amazing. He can come up with a kids' craft on a moment's notice. Like he did with these marble and wire spiders. One minute he was sitting in his office, working on the computer, the next the boys were huddled around him as he twisted and cut wire into spindly spider legs. I don't know how he gets anything done when we come to visit.

Marble Spiders Tutorial

Supplies
*Marble (any size will do, really)
*Small gauge wire
*Pliers
*Wire cutters

*WARNING* The spider legs can be sharp--this is a toy for a child at least 4 and up, and even then I'd watch out for possible eye pokes!

1. Leave a two inch tail on your wire, then begin wrapping around the marble a couple of times. End with another two inch tail and cut your wire. These are your first two legs.

2. Repeat three more times to create eight total legs. If you want, use your pliers to bend the ends of the legs up so they're not so sharp.

Our spiders are a little beat up after a lot of play--Grandpa is a genius!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
13 Comments

13 Responses to “marble spiders - from the mind of grandpa”

Perfect Balance Marketing said...

Wow that is genius! They look brill - hurrah fo grandads! L x

CountryBelle said...

If you hook the feet a tiny little bit, these guys would look great hanging from a screen in a window!
Too cute!

Shary said...

Those are sooo cute!

Stephanie said...

oh my gosh - could they BE any more adorable?! they must completely and utterly ADORE they're grandpa!! =)

Unknown said...

These are EXCELLENT! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try with some telephone wire!

lisbonlioness said...

Grandpas spiders are the only spiders I LOVE to look at, how cool are they?

Lina Thomlinson said...

These are so much fun! Very creative.

Bethany Crowell said...

So fun! I hate spiders...but these are so cool! Way to go, 'Dad'!!

Tiffany said...

Do you think it will wake my kid up if I dig through his closet right now??? We are SO. MAKING. THESE.

Thank you!!!

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Fantastic, you can't beat spending time with grandads.

Unknown said...

VERY Creative as only a Grandpa can achieve!

B said...

I love this idea. :D

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Ooh way creative! What a fun grandpa. Thanks so much for sharing this, I'll be linking.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs