Thursday, March 4, 2010

tofu chocolate mousse cake - a nice substitute for cheesecake



Doesn't this look heavenly? I hear a little choir singing "ahhhhh" when I look at this sweet treat. We have a lot of special diets in our family so when a friend of mine who suffers from a milk intolerance shared her favorite chocolate cheesecake recipe with me many years ago, I was excited. This yummy cake has the consistency of a chocolate mousse so I changed the name to mousse cake.

Non-Dairy Mousse Cake
Ingredients:
*3 boxes of Mori Nu brand firm tofu (I get mine at Safeway)
*The same number of ounces of Semi sweet chocolate chips as your tofu. So, if you have 37 ounces of tofu--you will need the same number of ounces of chocolate chips. Do not substitute milk chocolate or the milk intolerant will not be able to eat it. Check your labels first and make sure there is no milk in it. Also, be sure your chocolate is high-quality chocolate.
*1 or 2 teaspoons of vanilla--your choice
*granola or your favorite gluten and milk free cookie

In your cheesecake/spring form pan, crush the granola or cookie and use a little bit of butter to make a bottom crust. You may need to bake it a little bit so it stiffens up.

Next, put your tofu in a bowl or mixer and mix it up.


Add two teaspoons of vanilla extract to the tofu.


While your tofu is in the mixer, start melting your chocolate. I do this by putting it all in a bowl and microwaving for 30 seconds at a time. Remove it from the microwave, stir it up and put it back in for another 30 seconds. Do this until the chocolate is melted and smooth.


Once the chocolate is completely melted, add it to the tofu. Mix on medium speed.


Next, put it in the cheesecake pan with your crust already in it. Place it in the refrigerator for a few hours until set.


To serve this, remove from the refrigerator and take a butter knife all around the edges. Slowly remove the side to the cheesecake/spring form pan. Slice and serve. You may want to put this back in the fridge once everyone has been served. It will get soft if you don't and it is not as easy to cut.

Serve with your favorite non dairy topping or just eat it plain.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
12 Comments

12 Responses to “tofu chocolate mousse cake - a nice substitute for cheesecake”

Elizabeth said...

I'm not much of a tofu gal but this looks yum!

Katie Bishop said...

As a gluten-free, dairy-free person, this is wonderful!! I am going to make it tomorrow!! Thanks!

Atticelf said...

I would love to make this for gluten- and dairy-free friend of mine. Quick question though...I thought chocolate chips had some dairy in them. Am I wrong? Thanks!

Lynn Kellan said...

I'm going to bookmark this recipe and try it someday!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

If you avoid milk chocolate chips and go with the semi-sweet and/or dark you should be okay. I know that the three non-dairy folks in my life love this cake and they don't have a problem with it--unless they eat too much and that is a completely different problem-ha! I don't want to give incorrect advice, so make sure you always read labels and check with a doctor if you are unsure.

Expats Again said...

Thank you for this recipe. It looks delicious. Can't wait to try it!

Shelby said...

thank you for this recipe! I am gluten and dairy intolerant. I usually do not eat tofu, but this looks like the perfect desert to kill a craving! It looks delicious! :)

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

This looks so yummy! Thanks for the great recipe!!

~Morgan

http://meetvirginiaandroo.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MeetVirginiaShop

Keri and Crew said...

This looks delicious! Chocolate is always a winner for me, in any form. And we have a couple of kiddos who need a milk-free diet, and they seem to always get left out. I do want to point out that the crust calls for "a little bit of butter", but butter is a dairy product and therefore not suitable for those with dairy allergies or intolerances.

Stacy of KSW said...

I can honestly say I never in a million years thought this would have been made from tofu. I missed the word in the title too and didn't realize it wasn't actually cheesecake or mousse till I read the recipe.

Let's hope my husband doesn't realize it either :) He is ANTI tofu but I bet he will love this

Kate said...

Oooh I've been trying to eat less dairy so I'm excited to try this!

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful, thank you for sharing!

But as someone with severe milk allergy, please no butter! Most margarines have dairy derivatives as well, and butter-flavored crisco. I have had a reaction to more than one dish from well-meaning loved ones cooking "dairy-free"!

I would just use regular shortening for the crust :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs