Monday, March 29, 2010

hand-dyed vintage seam binding tutorial



I love seam binding. It's a delicate ribbon that comes in hundreds of gorgeous shades. I just did a video tutorial for Lasting Memories that shows how to turn this pretty ribbon. . .


. . .into this vintage-looking ribbon. Isn't it stunning? Artists are selling it on Etsy, but it's really not that hard to make yourself.


I loved the way they package their seam binding over at this Etsy shop, so I copied it to give some of my ribbon away to a friend. If you don't want to make your own, this shop has some gorgeous options!

I love using it on cards, scrapbook pages, and projects with a vintage feel. So pretty!


A friend at work pointed out that even though she's not very good at tying bows, it doesn't matter with this stuff. It's very forgiving.

Here's my tutorial. Enjoy!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
12 Comments

12 Responses to “hand-dyed vintage seam binding tutorial”

Shelley said...

Great tutorial, it looks like a lot of fun!

Dawn B. said...

I absolutely love this. Where do you get your seam binding.. I went out and bought some but it is polyester and I don't think it is right..?? I love the way you colored it. Thank you so much. I have been sewing for years and never thought of this use.. Any help would be so appreciated..

Unknown said...

the card is sooo cute! Thanks for the info!

Julie S said...

Excellent tutorial. Thanks!

LollyChops said...

SO FABULOUS!!!!!

Amy said...

That looks beautiful...thanks!

Michellem said...

How beautiful - thanks so much for the tutorial!!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I wish I had known about this spray when I dyed yards and yards of rayon tape!

Thanks for sharing.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Becky J. said...

what a great idea to make your own. thanks for sharing the technique.

Cheryl said...

I love the seam binding! Thanks for sharing. Where do you get the colored mist?

Tanya said...

Great tutorial, thank you! Unfortunately it's not very forgiving for me, I can't get my bows to look nice, lol

Denise Fletcher said...

Looks great, thanks for tips! xx

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs