Wednesday, March 3, 2010

how to make a felt needle book



In the spirit of New Year's resolutions, I've been slowly organizing my craft stash, even down to my little needles. For Christmas I got something I've been wishing for for a long time. "Left-handed pinking shears!" Well, they're not actually left-handed, but my husband says that line every time he sees them out. (You'll know the voice he's using if you're a Simpson's fan.) ANYWAY, I wanted to try them out on my felt stash, so I put together a simple needle book with pinked edges (there are several optional steps that you can cut out to make it even easier). Now I look for reasons to hand-stitch just so I can pull my book out!

Felt Needle Book Tutorial

Supplies:
*Felt for the cover
*Matching felt piece for button tab
*Coordinating felt for pages (1 or 2, depending on how many needles you have)
*Rotary cutter or scissors, pinking shears (optional)
*Button
*Matching thread and sewing machine
*Additional felt for embellishing cover
*Fabric glue for embellishments

1. Cut a piece of felt 8" x 4" for the cover. Cut 1-2 pieces 7.5" x 3.5" for the pages. I cut mine with pinking shears, but that's optional, of course.



2. Cut a matching piece of felt for the button tab 1" x 1.5". This part is really optional, too. You don't have to have a button closure. I rounded one edge with scissors for extra cuteness. If you don't dare cut it free-hand, trace half of a soda bottle lid.



3. Pin the tab to the short, right side of your cover. Stitch around the entire cover piece, attaching the tab and creating a cute decorative edge.


4. Lay your pages in the middle of the inside your cover. Using a ruler, measure to the middle draw a line with chalk or a fabric pen.



5. Pin the pages to the cover and stitch down the middle to secure.



6. If you have any blunt-edge needles (for yarn), you can create a little pocket to hold them in as well. Cut a piece of felt 1.5" x 2" and pin near the bottom edge of one of the pages.


7. Stitch around three edges, then stitch parallel vertical lines about 1/4" apart. Slip blunt-edge needles inside.


8. If you decide to do a tab closure, wrap it around to the front and lay your button where you want it. Mark it with a fabric pen. Using scissors, snip it open. Be sure to make it snug so it stays buttoned.




9. Stitch your button in place on the front of the cover directly beneath the buttonhole.


10. You could call it good now, but if you're like me, you love to play with felt! So let's add a little felt embellishment to the front cover.

I had just cut a little butterfly out with my Slice machine, so I used the negative of the die cut to trace a butterfly on my coordinating felt. Then I hand-stitched it in place with a little embroidery thread. You could also glue it with fabric glue.



For the red book I cut two felt flowers, layered them, and attached them together with a fancy brad. I also hand-cut leaves and added a little stitching, then glued the flowers and leaves on the cover with fabric glue.


That's it! Now get organized by sticking your needles in the felt pages. Don't they look cute all lined up?

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
47 Comments

47 Responses to “how to make a felt needle book”

JenniE said...

Needle books look so sweet! Thanks for tutorial, now I just have to make one too.

Crafty JuJu said...

These are super fab, thankyou for sharing :D

TexNan said...

Thank you for this. I've made several needle books in the past--both sold and currently for sale in my Etsy shop--and did them by the seat of my pants. Your instructions are nicely done and since I've been wanting one of my very own I think this little project becomes next in line. Thanks again.

Mama Llama said...

I've been thinking of making myself a needle book for ages now. I think you've inspired me! I thought your pinking shears comment was from the census commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjSEK5IypuE&feature=related

CourtneyKeb said...

Genius!

Shorty said...

Such a cute design and tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

Evelyn said...

Needle books are on my list for xmas gifts for next year. I love yours! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I hope to be making some of these soon!!

Rhonda said...

That is so dear. I may have to make myself one! Thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

SO cute!!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-felt-needle-book/2010/03/03/

--Anne

Laurel said...

Oh how darling! I am buying felt for poodle skirts today and will make a little book with the scraps. Thanks for sharing. What a great idea!

Keriann said...

Ok that is ingenious and too cute!!!

a Knitting Junkie! said...

Oh I love it! This is definitely high up on my to-do list!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Hugs, Health, Happiness & Blessings

Elaine A said...

This is just so sweet! Great idea!

Elaine Allen

Kassi Jane said...

i love it~ i have to make one for my mother in law she felts all the time!

Anna R said...

CUTE idea!
Thanks for sharing all your cute projects.
One question: Does it matter what kind of felt you use (i.e.regular, cheap craft or real wool felt)?

Tasha said...

Oh, I just LOVE this!!! I will be hosting it on my blog (giving credit back to you of course!) Thanks for always being so inspiring.

Brooke said...

This is completely adorable. I MUST make one now! :) Thanks for the great tut.

Tarnished Rose said...

Thank you for such an easy and useful tutorial. This is exactly what I need for all my needles!

Smiles~
Marilyn

-*$1.00 Baby Bows*- said...

Great tutorial! This is so sweet. Thanks for sharing!

Maria Filomena said...

Lindissímo e fácil, com a sua ajuda, é claro!
Muito obrigada por compartilhar conosco estas preciosidades,
com abraços de Maria Filomena

Patty Albertson said...

What an adorable book! Thanks for the tutorial!

Sandra said...

Thank you for sharing this it looks so sweet and seems to be quite possible to make in not to many "hours"

Sandye said...

Love this! Thanks so much for the great tutorial! :)

Elizabeth said...

Fabulous idea. One question ... how do you stop the felt from bunching up when you use the machine? (email me direct please!).

the cupcake fairy said...

these are beyond cute!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, cutest needle book ever! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

Al-Samt said...

so0o nice

thanx for the tutorial


nice day :)

La Delfina said...

Ooooohhh !! Very beautiful...i love your needle book !! Good blog ! (sorry for my english please ) Thanks...Hugs...

Tierra said...

I totally LOVE this! Thanks for the tutorial!

Tierra
pebblesandpoppys.blogspot.com

Erika said...

This is surely being added to my "to make" list :o) They are way too cute :D Thanks for sharing

Tierra said...

I just finished the one I made. Check out mine!

http://pebblesandpoppys.blogspot.com/2010/03/felt-needle-book.html

Tierra

yuosef salame said...

Thank you for tutorial, I'm a beginner and looking for a Machine that cut felt. may I ask what your using?

MJ said...

OMG these are so cute!! Just came across your blog while searching on how to make an easy needle book. I am planning on bringing some sewing to work to do during lunch and these are so cute! (much cuter than the Martha Stewart ones LOL). I'm a follower now!
Greetings from London,
MJ

MJ said...

Made mine today, it's so cute! Thank you for posting this!
http://mybusycraftlife.blogspot.com/2010/05/easy-and-cute-felt-needle-book.html
Regards from London, MJ

mommy Orkid Belle said...

So clever! :) Thanks for sharing.

Adin B
http://itssewtasticmama.blogspot.com/

Pamela said...

Love this. You always make the simplist projects look awesome. I think I'll make a couple.

Roberta said...

Thank you so much for a great tutorial!
I just featured this on my website... a collection of free patterns and tutorials for all things made of felt.
http://www.redroofpatterns.com/2011/04/wool-felt-needle-book-tutorial.html

Suzanne said...

I keep coming back to this lovely, easy tutorial. I use my needlebook daily and just made one for my 5 year old who is learning to sew.
http://underthemulberrytree.squarespace.com/my-craft-journal/2011/5/13/needle-book.html

Bluebell Ridge Handworks said...

Sweet little needle books!! I just made one as a gift...thanks so much for the inspiration and the wonderful directions :o)

Bridget said...

Heya, this is great! very cute and creative! I'm just about to get stuck in with my Girl Guiding Brownie pack, will try and post a picture of them later on...

Chic Crafter said...

Thank you for the inspirations. I love crafting and I just started a blog and I'm loving it it's like a diary of my creations.

Happy crafting!

Www.chiccrafter.blogger.com

Unknown said...

That's adorable! Thank you!

O~jie said...

wow..this is so clever!thanks for sharing it!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful. I have so many needles that are just all over the place. Thank you for such a great idea :)

janeycat57 said...

I'm a little slow at seeing this but i can see it still looks good to me... I love it , all my needles are either stuck in curtain tails, in one of my pin cushions, or lined up stuck on a scrap piece of note paper... how lame is that ?? This has inspired me to make my own Needle Book ...It will be my next priority, i will do this asap !! Then gather up all my needles and put them in a great new pretty place to live... Thanks so much, i never knew something like this existed and your are so cool...

Unknown said...

This is just what I needed! I received for Christmas some embroidery needles and I hate trying to get them, my regular handsewing needles and yarn needles out of those plastic sleeves that they come in. I was fortunate enough to find my Grandmother's sewing box after she passed away and she had a needle case in her kit but I just can't bring myself to use it. Thanks for the great tutorial I will definitly be making this tonight! Merry Christmas and Have a Happy New Year!!

Cin Pfannemuller said...

Thank you for your tutorial.
This is going to be my first sewing project.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs