Friday, November 27, 2009

pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe

A few of you asked for the pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe that I used on this post. I actually got it from the King Arthur Flour web site (LOVE their site and blog!), but I did add one thing. Just 2 tsp. cinnamon makes a HUGE difference in the flavor. I thought it was rather bland without it. I couldn't tell if it was pumpkin or banana. With the cinnamon it tasted like the pumpkin chocolate chip bread from Great Harvest Bread, one of my favorites!

Yum!

Emmy's Pumpkin Bread (from KingArthurFlour.com)


2/3 cup shortening or 1 cup vegetable oil
2 2/3 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups (or one can) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg

2 teaspoons cinnamon (Mandy's addition)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

In a large bowl, cream together the shortening or oil and the sugar. Beat in the eggs, pumpkin and water. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and vanilla, stirring to blend, then mix in the chips and nuts.

Spoon the batter into two lightly greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a wire rack. When it's completely cool, wrap it well in plastic wrap, and store it overnight before serving.

If desired, just before serving, drizzle with an icing made of 1 cup confectioners' or glazing sugar, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and 1 tablespoon milk.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
6 Comments

6 Responses to “pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe”

Unknown said...

Oh YUM!

Vicki ♥ said...

It looks delish! I am looking forward to making it and will add your little extra bit :) MMmm...Yumm! Thanks for the recipe :)

Kim @ Life of a Modern Mom said...

Yum, thanks for the recipe. We made it today. I put a link to your recipe on my menu plan today on my blog. Thanks again!
http://lifeofamodernmom.blogspot.com/2009/11/menu-monday_30.html

Sakunthala said...

Hey, Im all new to the blog thingie.. :) This looks yummy.. I will definitely make this.. If you'd like check out my banana & chocolate chip cake. http://bit.ly/3L3wEa

Unknown said...

Hi is this really moist like the great harvest one?

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Jl Johnson - This is a really good recipe and I remember it being moist, but Great Harvest's may be a little moister. But it's pretty close. I haven't made it yet this year so I can't be 100%. :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs