Friday, November 6, 2009

our favorite thanksgiving rolls


A few years ago my sister-in-law Paige shared her amazing homemade roll recipe with me. They are a staple at almost every Sybrowsky family dinner, especially Thanksgiving. Not only are they delicious, they're pretty quick and easy for homemade rolls. I started calling them Aunt Paige's Famous Rolls, until I was corrected--I guess they're Laurie's famous rolls. Or are they actually Laurie's mom Joy's famous rolls? Well, I brought it with me to Seattle, and now I'm famous for them in my little circle. I've taught Jessica and Stacy both how to make them so they can be famous in their families, too. Try them this Thanksgiving and you can claim them as your own--we don't mind!


Little Birdies' Homemade Crescent Rolls Recipe

2 c. warm water, 110-115°
2 Tbsp. rapid rise yeast (aka bread machine yeast)
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. powdered milk
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. salt
5-6 c. bread flour

Softened butter

Pour water in a bowl and sprinkle yeast over the top. Allow to soften about 5 minutes. (Mandy's secret: if you're not confident about guessing the water temperature, use a candy thermometer to make sure it's right!)

Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Dough will be a little sticky, but if it's really sticky add a little more flour. (The first couple of times I made these I called Paige to make sure I put the right amount of flour in--it seems way too sticky to be right!) Allow to rise in bowl for 45 minutes. (Mandy's secret: put your bowl in a kitchen-size garbage bag and tie shut--I get a better rise out of my dough this way.)

Punch down and allow to rise for another 45 minutes (in the bag again).


Break into two equal pieces. On a floured surface, roll out each chunk into a large circle.

Spread softened butter (not melted) onto entire circle.

Cut into wedges with pizza cutter. (I do 12 for smaller rolls, or 8 for larger.)

Starting with wide end of triangles, roll up like a crescent roll.

Place on cookie sheets with pointed end tucked underneath (so it doesn’t pop open during baking) and bake at 400° for 10-14 minutes, or until just golden on top.





Here's the recipe again if you just want to copy and paste it without all the pictures and commentary!

Little Birdies' Homemade Crescent Rolls

2 c. warm water, 110-115°
2 Tbsp. rapid rise yeast (aka bread machine yeast)
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. powdered milk
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. salt
5-6 c. bread flour

Softened butter

Pour water in a bowl and sprinkle yeast over the top. Allow to soften about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Dough will be a little sticky, but if it's really sticky add a little more flour. Allow to rise in bowl for 45 minutes. Punch down and allow to rise for another 45 minutes. Break into two equal pieces. On a floured surface, roll out each chunk into a large circle. Spread softened butter (not melted) onto entire circle. Cut into wedges with pizza cutter. (I do 12 for smaller rolls, or 8 for larger.) Starting with wide end of triangles, roll up like a crescent roll. Place on cookie sheets with pointed end tucked underneath (so it doesn’t pop open during baking) and bake at 400° for 10-14 minutes, or until just golden on top.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
27 Comments

27 Responses to “our favorite thanksgiving rolls”

Liz said...

These look lovely! Can't wait to try them!

Anonymous said...

they look so good. I am going to have to try to make those. can i make them in a bread machine?

Creative Craft Ideas said...

oh yum. these look so good.

Anne =)

Anonymous said...

those look so yummy! Do you think they would still turn out if I left out the salt? I have a child on a very low salt diet?

I can't wait to try them.

Anina said...

Yum, yum, yum!
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

ragamuffinbeauties said...

Yum-O!!! Have yo ever tried to freeze them in already rolled into the 'crescent'?

Deanna said...

Oh, this looks absolutely divine! :)

Gypsy said...

Gosh these look scrumptious! I'm in Australia and haven't seen that type of yeast before, is that the same as Instant Dried Yeast?

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

These look so good! Perfect for Thanksgiving!

Simply Jessabells said...

I can't wait to give these a try. They look so yummy!! Thanks so much for the post and the pics. Pics are always great.

StarKnits said...

oh i can't wait to try this. i'm thinking tomorrow! YUM!

Ricki said...

I can almost smell them baking! Thank you for sharing, they look divine!

Ale said...

Wow!! Is so very easy!! Thanks for share!

likeschocolate said...

These look fantastic and I am sure they taste much better than the stuff you can buy out of the can.

patti said...

I'm not positive, but I think trash bags are treated with pesticides. Covering the bowl with a kitchen towel might be better. Nice recipe!

Kim said...

These are on the list to make for Thanksgiving. I think I'll try the dough in the bread machine. They look so good!

Marianne said...

Okay, Mandy, I haven't seen you in so long that I got all excited just to see your hands in a photo. That is just sad. :)

Roll dough usually has a thing against me, but I might give these a try!

cristina said...

hi! They look fantastic ... try them, thanks for the tutorial is great!
P.D. excuse my English
adios.

Becky H said...

I made these tonight and they were a hit!!!! Will be making them a lot more. Took only 2 hours not all day like a lot of bread recipes. Thanks for sharing and God Bless You.

Anonymous said...

I made these tonight with rave reviews from my family! We will definitely make them again! Thank-you for posting the recipe!

LipGlossAndLetDown678 said...

I finally got around making these, and they are delicious and so simple to make. My fiance was amazed to be eating homemade bread LOL. I didn't remember that the recipe called for bread flour and forgot to get any at the store so I ended up using AP and they still turned out yummy :)

Thanks for sharing :D

~*Lets give'em something 2 talk about!*~ said...

Okay first things first....Thank you for the recipe. The crescent rolls turned out great! I was so excited that my second attempt at using yeast actually worked. (your a great teacher!) I was like a proud parent with the rolls. I went around the house jumping up and down and showing them off like I had just mastered something that was impossible. I now know why you guys look forward to them at the holidays. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Andrea said...

I made these for Thanksgiving and they were a hit! I linked to your recipe here:

http://wearetherobinsons.blogspot.com/2009/11/giving-thanks.html

I have a new found confidence with yeast! :)

Anonymous said...

Made these for Thanksgiving dinner and they were loved by all! I added a little honey and cinnamon to the butter, and they were delicious! Even a hit with the professional chef who attended dinner!

Amy

Sakunthala said...

Hi.. I tried this for my sister's birthday & they were great. I linked you up. http://craftinesswhatnot.blogspot.com/2009/12/chocolate-crescent-rolls.html
Thanks again. These were some yummy rolls!! :D

Anonymous said...

I made these for Thanksgiving this year. YUM. I froze them after rolling, thawed for about 10 minutes, and baked. I can't remember whether I added any baking time (I meant to post this while I still remembered, but then Christmas came...).

~*Lets give'em something 2 talk about!*~ said...

An anonymous posted that they froze the roles and saved them for a later date....I sure would like to know more about freezing them. If you can help please post more. THANKS!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs