Friday, November 13, 2009

cheddar biscuits

My husband is a huge fan of the cheddar biscuits they bring to the table at Red Lobster. If he could go and eat just those, he would be a happy man. My mom told me that in her Food Network Magazine they came up with a recipe that tried to duplicate these yummy biscuits. I knew I had to try them out and see if they were as good. I must say....they are almost exact. Last week we shared our favorite Thanksgiving rolls with you, but if you are in the mood to take a non-traditional route this year....these biscuits would be a hit at the table.



Almost Famous Cheddar Biscuits

* Cooking spray
* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, at room temperature
* 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 6 ounces grated yellow cheddar cheese (about 1 1/4 cups)
* 3/4 cup whole milk

For the garlic butter:

* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1 clove garlic, smashed
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

Make the biscuits: Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a food processor. You may add a little garlic powder to the dough if you like more of a garlic flavor. Add the shortening and pulse until combined. Add the butter; pulse 4 or 5 times, or until the butter is in pea-size pieces. Add the cheese and pulse 2 or 3 times. Pour in the milk and pulse just until the mixture is moistened and forms a shaggy dough. Turn out onto a clean surface and gently knead until the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough or the biscuits will be tough. You may add a little garlic powder to the dough if you like more of a garlic flavor.

Drop the dough onto the baking sheet in scant 1/4-cup portions, 2 inches apart, and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the garlic butter: Melt the butter with the garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Brush the biscuits with the garlic butter and serve warm.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
15 Comments

15 Responses to “cheddar biscuits”

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. It has been quite some time since I had those at Red Lobster. But it seems like they had a little dill in them. That may be the ingredient missing.

Either way, I can't wait to try this recipe.

Clements Family said...

Oh how I love these at Red Lobster. I have a recipe similar-but just using bisquick, on my cooking blog-check it out-http://cucinafamiglia.blogspot.com/blogspot.com
I will have to try this recipe out! Thanks for sharing!

The Allen Family said...

My husband is just like your husband when it comes to Red Lobster. Can'y wait to try them! We both thank you!

Birdee said...

Oooh, that looks delicious, I can't wait to try it!

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! My husband will die when I make these for him. I am going to add some sage crumbled sausage too for a good breakfast treat.

Thanks so much!

Atticelf said...

I think my arteries clogged a little just reading through the recipe. ;) I'm fine with that though and can't wait to try it!

Nicole-Lynn said...

I would love to take a try at this for thanksgiving! Thank you!

Beth- the mama bee said...

sounds good. We did try the other rolls last week and they were delish! I will be making them again next week for my little ones preschool thanksgiving party.

Unknown said...

oh goody!!! Those are my favorite too. Im usually to full to eat by the time the sea food shows up.

Simply Jessabells said...

OH, thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I would love to make them for Thanksgiving but I don't think they would ever make the table. lol.

Unique2wh0 said...

Those look yummy : )~ Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will for sure give them a go. Now, if you can come up with a recipe for the corn chowder at MiMi's Cafe I will love you even more LOL :D

SAH in Suburbia said...

Have made 2 batches of these since you posted the recipe. My children love them....they rival Red Lobsters. Now I'm passing the recipe on to my mom!!

Dauna said...

*I* am a huge fan of the red lobster biscuits. If *I* could just get them, I would be happy. The tip is directly proportional to how long they leave the basket empty.

Dauna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

I've mad ethese a couple of times now, and jsut wanted to come back and say they are delicious and SO easy! Thanks so much for the recipe!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs