Thursday, June 11, 2009

more ideas for father's day - stamped dog tag key chain



Stacy has been playing around with metal stamps lately and come up with some fun projects. We thought this one was perfect for Father's Day!

We used a metal stamping alphabet set we found at HarborFreight.com to stamp a little message on a metal dog tag. You could stamp your kids' names, "World's Best Dad," or a silly saying. I chose one of my favorite quotes from the movie Star Wars. Who doesn’t love Yoda?

Beaducation.com has a great video tutorial on YouTube about metal stamping (it's a four-part tutorial, so be sure to watch all four), or it's available as a free class on their Web site. If you're new to metal stamping, check that out before beginning.

After stamping your letters, color them in with a Sharpie marker (you can use black or any other color you want). Wipe the excess marker off with a paper towel.


Attach the key ring and you've got a cool, manly key chain for Dad!


Our metal stamping set was only $7.99, but if you have a Harbor Freight retail store near you, they have them for about $6 (and no shipping charges!). You can find dog tags at your local military surplus store. We've also tried this technique on common hardware like washers for pendants (watch for that in a later post). Or you could try the sterling silver jewelry pieces available at beading stores or in the jewelry aisle in craft stores. Happy stamping!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
21 Comments

21 Responses to “more ideas for father's day - stamped dog tag key chain”

Missie Krissie said...

That's a great quote! It made me giggle a little bit!

Beth- the mama bee said...

oh that is pretty cool. Its good to see that the kits aren't too expensive too.

Southern Gal said...

My hubby would love this! He used to have his military dog tag as a key chain. He finally quit using it because it had his SSN on it along with a lot of personal information. Yeah, if you had gotten his keys you would have gotten his identity, too. Thanks.

GRAMS said...

I just love this idea. I bought a set of stamps but don't know where to get the metal. Did you buy the dog tags somewhere or make them yourself. I really want to do this with the kids I teach on Sunday for Father's day. Thanks so much for the idea, Janis

:::b r a n d i::: said...

Super cute. I've noticed a ton of Etsy sellers with metal stamped items...but they seem to be able to stamp them and keep the item itself flat as well, which I have a hard time with. Wonder what the secret is?

Little Birdie Secrets said...

You can also buy the tags at Oriental Trading Company.

I think the silver and other metals are softer and don't need as much pounding on them to get them to work so they stay flat. These were a little harder and I might have pounded a bit to hard-over zealous me :)

Unknown said...

Love this! Thanks for the links to the local distributors. :)

Karen said...

Oh goodness!! This is TOOOOOOOO cool!! My hubby would love this and I'd get a new crafty item to play with.....what a win-win situation! Thanks for the Harbor Freight direction....guess who is gonna make a stop there tomorrow?! :>

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, I love this idea! I've seen them at my local bead shop too. Thanks tons, I'll be linking.

Nicole said...

I'm so glad you showed us how to do this! I've always wondered how it was done because those who do it charge an arm and a leg!! Thanks! Cute keychain!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.
I just posted the last Disney post....
Hope you will enjoy it.
Stop by when you have some time.
I love all my new blog friends

Magret said...

Nice work! I love this green little guy. This year I bought some great mizpah jewelry from http://www.giftavia.com for my dad. Now I know what to get next year. Thanks for posting and also thanks for the links to the local distributors. :-)

The Snow Queen said...

I love this idea! We have a Harbor Freight! I'm going today after school! I think we are going to do a key chain too.

Sherry Gann said...

very cool! :)

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

This is soooo great. I've got to get me some metal and stampers stat!

Meg said...

I love the quote you chose! That's one of my favorites. I even said that to my five-year old last night.
I'm so going to be reading your blog from now on.

Anne said...

This is cute use for the stamps that I'm dying to buy but I think my husband would just look at as something just for me!

Where did you get the steel bench block? The price for the stamps is great but I'm having a hard time finding the block for cheap, too...

Thanks again! :)

Rice Family said...

To cool! In answer to the previous comment- I googled 'steel bench block' and got lots of links. Hope you found it already since that was posted almost a year ago! Thanks for the great idea and info.

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

I am soooo loving this!!!!

Nicky Stevenson said...

Hi, Liking this idea,thanks. I made one today using an old typewriter. I used gold card but thin metal would work too.

Might help some people that can't get the other supplies (I'm in the UK)

Here is the link to mine: http://creativeflourishes.blogspot.com/2010/05/gold-key-fobs.html

Unknown said...

Love the idea!!! Stopping by from Tip Junkie!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs