Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ribbon Jar

We LOVE ribbon. I know, you're probably asking "What don't you love?", but we do. Between the the three of us, we could open up a small ribbon store. The thing is--you NEED ribbon. So many projects call for it. It is a necessity--right up there with buttons, fabric and Mod Podge. You can't just have one spool of ribbon.



Well, one of the challenges with having a lot of ribbon is how and where to store it. It's all fine and dandy when they are nice and neat on the spool, but what about all those little scraps? Where are you going to keep those? Never ones to walk away from a good challenge, we decided to turn some empty jars into ribbon jars. You like? We found this vintage label at The Graphics Fairy. She is one amazing lady with gorgeous graphics. Now our massive amounts of loose ribbon is neatly put away in the craft closets making our husbands quite happy with one less thing laying out and about.


Nicole Heady has another way to store all those loose ribbons especially for those with shelves that can display your stash. We love this look and think we may have to pick up a few wood clothes pins ourselves and some shelves to display them on. Honestly, if your ribbon stash looked this cute would you be able to hide it in a craft closet? I know we couldn't. She has this wonderful tutorial on how you can make this ribbon jar. This would also make a fantastic gift for any crafter.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
17 Comments

17 Responses to “Ribbon Jar”

Ann On and On... said...

Soooo cute! I heart ribbon too.

Deanna said...

I have a ribbon fetish...and I LOVE these ideas! My mom has button jars....and I think I'm going to add ribbon jars to my button jar stash...

Thanks for the clothes-pin idea!

Unknown said...

Wowowowowowo!!!!!!!

Where to begin.

I just found you today on a fluke. I linked to a link to a link and here I am. I already love everything I'm seeing. So much to read. So many new project to start already.

I normally bead, hook, knit, paint,snap pictures and tell a tale. Will probably be adding more now.

Stop by my garden anytime for a visit over at:

www.thegardenbell.blogspot.com

You are truly inspiring.

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Great ideas. You can get old-fashioned clothespins at the dollar store.

Karen said...

Gotta love a fab way to store and show off a beautiful collection of ribbon! :>

MuMmARat said...

I'm in love with the wooden peg in the jar idea!!!!! I also have the perfect jar waiting and ready to go now just to find the pegs. Thanks heaps.!

Lauren said...

what a cute blog! I LOVE ribbon...ribbon and paper....two addictions!

Thanks so much for coming by my blog yesterday! Happy New Year!

Courtney said...

I keep my ribbon spooled on wooden clothes pins, and it really is an amazing space saver. I never thought of putting it in such cute jars and displaying it though - I'll have to add that to my list of things I want to incorporate as I am slowly redoing my craft area and storage this coming year.

My only issue with the clothes pins though, is that when you start getting into smaller strips (less than a foot or so) of ribbon the spools don't seem to store them well, so you still get some small tangles here and there.

Unique2wh0 said...

Ohhh nice! I like it would look cute next to the button jars I must agree :-)

Christy said...

Nikki over at WhimsyLove stores hers in small (2x3) plastic ziploc-style bags (found in the jewelry section at JoAnns) and i started storing mine that way too. it is super easy to see how much you have of anything and keeps ribbon from getting tangled.

Unknown said...

Wow I love everything in you blog! I have a question, is that Ok for me to do it myself and sell it. Is that ok with you? I'm looking for some extra money to help my husband and I love crafts! thanks

Unknown said...

I'm open for ideas too of ANYTHING that I can do from home to help our income! thanks

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I have my ribbons on clothespins in a jar and you're right...I can't hide them. They're out for all to see.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

HI Paty,

We are okay with you making these. We completely understand the need to help out at home. We do recommend that you check with any other blogger/artist first if you use their artwork or labels.

-Sydney- said...

This is PERFECT! I have tons of ribbon and my problem was recently compounded by the "what to do after Christmas with all the new ribbon I saved from presents" problem. I was stuffing it all in a gift bag on a shelf, but this is way cuter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to The Graphics Fairy. She has some great options!

Emma said...

This is EXACTLY how I store my ribbons! In those nifty Ikea jars...I have chalkboard labels for mine (I keep bits of lace and what-not in other jars as well) which I got on etsy from here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31409306

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs