Wednesday, December 16, 2009

mini calendar magnets


I know, I know, some of our recent tutorials are really cutting it a little too close to Christmas. The problem is that we are documenting our real life adventures in crafting, which means we don't often do things very far in advance! So we apologize if you love an idea you see here but don't have enough time to make it before Christmas. I guess you'll just have to bookmark it for next year! Or, if you're really behind, this is a last minute neighbor gift that you could give as a 'Happy New Year' gift and totally get away with it!

Mini Calendar Magnet Tutorial


Supplies you'll need:
*Mini calendars--look for these at office supply stores. We found ours online at SkyBluePink.com. Or make your own by printing mini calendars and making a pad using padding compound and our tutorial
*Chipboard cut to 4"x4" (you could use a cereal box for this, too)
*Patterned paper
*Paper trimmer
*Craft glue or Mod Podge
*Exacto knife & mat
*File or fine sandpaper
*Ribbon, buttons, etc. for embellishing
*Crop-A-Dile (optional)
*Corner Chomper (optional)
*Magnet

(Sorry for the weird pictures. I've been crafting at night and the light in my house just isn't right for photography! Also, I have weird spots on all my photos, and I've cleaned my lens. I think they're on the inside. Any suggestions out there?)

Okay, let's get started!

1. Cut your chipboard to 4"x4". Cut your coordinating paper to match. Gather your embellishments.


2. Glue your paper to the chipboard. I love Tombow's Mono Multi Liquid Glue. I usually apply my glue to the chipboard rather than to the paper.


3. Smooth your paper on the chipboard.


4. Turn over and use an Exacto knife to clean up any overhanging paper edges. If you want to, round your corners using the Corner Chomper. Or leave them as is.



5. Lightly sand your edges in a downward motion with a file to make the paper become one with the chipboard.


6. Adhere your calendar to chipboard.




7. Decide how you will embellish. If you want ribbon that goes through two holes like I did, measure and mark where your holes should go.


8. Use a Crop-A-Dile to punch holes through your chipboard and paper.


9. Thread ribbon through and either tie in a double know or thread down, cross in back, and come back through holes on front.


10. Adhere buttons or other embellishments. I like Tacky Tape or Glue Dots for a strong hold.


11. Glue a magnet to the back. Done! Wrape in a cello bag for gifting!



I have had so much fun using my different 6x6 paper pads for these magnets.




This is a great teacher gift, too!


If you know someone like I do that has a stainless steel fridge (which means no magnets), you can always add a little piece of chipboard to the back so it will stand up on a desk instead.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
35 Comments

35 Responses to “mini calendar magnets”

Sandra said...

Very simple and fun idea!

Unknown said...

Those are the cutest things ever! You are a creative genius!

Mama King said...

Great idea! Love the papers - can see how you could get carried away!

AnnieC said...

Sooo cute! You bet I'll be bookmarking these to make for next year (a great gift for my co-workers). Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I will link the tutorial on my blog and put it on the list for office gifts next year. Thank you! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Ethan Mashimo said...

way cute!! i hope you are making those for your lovely coworkers!!! =P

Debbie @ OtRD said...

Too cute and looks so simple. I want to try this!!

tallynt said...

very simple and fun. I've been reading your blog lately and thought I would post that you guys have fabulous projects. Thank you, they help out another crafty mother here in the Northwest.

gayle said...

I have just found this blog and it's fantastic. I feel I can get stuck in to quite a few of these.

connorandmaddiesmom said...

I love this idea. soooo cute, thanks!

Jinny Newlin said...

What a super, cute idea! Love it!

Laura said...

Great Idea! Depending on the size of your calendar, you could also use resturaunt coasters and create something similar to the post-it clip board found on my blog. Do the clip board and the calendar in coordinating papers for a great gift for co-workers!

Jessica said...

I LOVE this idea! I've been trying to think of what to give as neighbor gifts and this would be perfect! I might even make too many. lol

Thanks for all your great ideas. Your amazing!
~Jessica
justenoughstyle.etsy.com
justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

Amy Eileen said...

Those are SO adorable! I think I might try my hand at them! :)

Simply Be Photo/Melissa said...

cute, and simple! perfect!

Kimmy said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this... you could make it a Happy New Year gift... I love your ideas... ~ kim

Donna VW said...

Such a cute idea - and so versatile!

-Sydney- said...

Oh my gosh I want to eat that strawberry one, it's so cute!

-Sydney- said...

Oh and what size calendars did you buy? I'm thinking medium but they're all sold out at blueskypink. Must be a lot of people making cute calendar gifts this year!!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Hi Sydney!
We actually bought the large size which measures about 3 x 2 1/2 inches.

LuLu Kellogg said...

I love all your wonderful ideas on your Blog. I am now following and can't wait to browse through your other posts!

Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful ideas and sites with everyone.

Happy Holidays,
Warmly,
LuLu Kellogg

Janice said...

So cute, I love them

Katie Lewis said...

These are really cute. :)

Krista said...

LOVE THOSE!!! I am making those for sure - did I mention I love them? Thank you so much!

Jennifer Bovee said...

Great idea! In fact I just finished making one for my kids teacher! I posted about it on my blog and linked back to you. I love your blog and all your creative ideas. thanks for sharing!!

Shannon said...

TOO cute!!

Jenilee Fleetwood said...

SOOOO cute! I'm going to try this!

Charity said...

These are so cute!! I featured them, with a link, on my blog at www.ascrapoftime.wordpress.com. Love them!

Paula said...

Great idea for a gift for the girls at work. Thanks for sharing.

Banuca said...

I like these so much, my favor is the one with strawberry :))

Yukon Mama said...

How have I never come across your site before. I have been cheated. So glad I found you, you are one crafty girl

inci çiçeği said...

very nice

Liz said...

This is so cute! I am linking this tutorial to our blog ziggycrafts.blogspot.com Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love this calendars!! Beautiful papers you used!

Brianna said...

Could you post a link to where your calendar components came from? I can't seem to find them on that website.

Thanks!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs