Tuesday, August 18, 2009

how to make ribbon flowers


It's day 2 of Flower Week, and we've got one of our quickest projects ever for you! Ribbon flowers are super simple to make, and they can be used for so much! I've been using them mostly for cards lately, but they are perfect for little girls' hair clips, headbands, purses, onesies or girls' t-shirts, well you get the idea. You can do a LOT with them.

Ribbon Flower Tutorial


What you'll need:

*Piece of ribbon, 4-6" long (depending on your desired finish size)
*Needle and matching thread
*Button or brad for the center (optional)
*Scissors

1. Thread your needle and tie a knot at the end of the thread. Starting at one end, do a running stitch along length of ribbon.




2. When you get near the end, pull on the thread to bunch up your ribbon.


3. Back stitch with your needle a few stitches to secure.


4. Fold ribbon around to make a complete circle. Hold ends together with tails pointing down.


5. From the back side, stitch up the tails to close your circle. Stitch back down and secure with knots.



6. Cut off tails close to stitching.


7. Insert a brad, or sew on a button to create the flower's center.


8. You have a ribbon flower! Make your gathers as tight or loose as you want. It all depends on the look you want.


Then you can attach it to a card like I did here. Inspiration for this card came from the fabulous Kristina Werner and today's MACM.



Here are some other examples of ribbon flowers on cards. These have button centers.



And this one has a rhinestone brad center. The ribbon flower actually makes up the center of one of our little crocheted flowers from this tutorial.



Sorry Summer, you're not going anywhere. These little cuties are going to be around all winter!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
33 Comments

33 Responses to “how to make ribbon flowers”

CourtneyKeb said...

I've never even thought about a ribbon flower. Thanks for showing me something new! I'm excited!!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

They make really pretty hair embellishments too. Little girls just love them.

These are beautiful...love the colors.

Smiles,
Kelly

Ter said...

THAT"S SO COOL! I'm going to try that!! Even I, a non-sewer, should be able to do that!

Unknown said...

These are lovely! I especially like the pink one with the crocheted flower underneath.

wvnurse1 said...

I am so glad I found your blog!!! I am never disapointed when I drop by. LOVE the ribbon flowers!!!!

Ange said...

the flowers are so cute and easy to do..I think I'll be adding those in very soon ..thanks !

Angela Yosten said...

very cute! thanks so much for the tutorial... will have to make some ribbon flowers for my daughters hair.

Brittany said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm putting a link to it from my blog so I can remember it later! :)

Alena Jo said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing! Even easier than the yo-yo's!

Anonymous said...

so simple! so quick! so perfect! thanks for a great tutorial on something I can use on gifts, hair ties, and clothing! such versatility!

Martha Lever said...

I just found your blog today! I made the Tee shirt today too. I will just settle, start scrolling, and read everything. I love that PeePee Tee Pee. Too funny--and yet very needed! I have a grandson--and yes, it's needed!

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Those are really cute :)

paige renee said...

These are too cute! I can't wait to try them out!

arkie said...

How very cute! Love your blog!

pepperblossom decor said...

Ah your cards are So darling! how creative and unique! Love finding people who share our love and passion for crafting and creating! Keep it up! Do you seel your cards?

Pepperblossom Decor

Ter said...

I made one last night and it was a success!! :) I am posting a photo of it and linking your blog to my post on Sunday (the day I usually post about crafts on my blog!)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS TUTORIAL!

Anonymous said...

I can emelish these and make bows for dogs' hair. i am a groomer and own 2 yorkies, as well. My clients will love them.

seven thirty three said...

These are super cute! I just attempted my first one and it turned out great. I decided to make a matching one and created barrettes for my daughter. I posted a pic and linked to your tut. :-) Thanks!

733blog.blogspot.com
Home of the What are boys made of? Weekly Round-Up

Anonymous said...

Very cute!

Mary Ellen said...

Those are adorable!

Gigi's Thimble said...

Man! Everything is so cute! You guys are awesome!

Jen said...

OH my gosh!!!!!! THANK U THANK U SO MUCH!!!!!! (*hugging you and swinging u around*) lol....your blog totally rocks!!1

Shelby said...

I love all of your flower making tutorials! I especially like this one because it is as simple as a yo-yo but SO much cuter and springy looking! :)

-Shelby

angelique (anlou) said...

the flowers are beautiful and so easy, i'm sure i'll make some, thanks for the tutorials, hugs angelique

mommy Orkid Belle said...

Thanks for sharing! I found ur blog from Lily Lane. That's some cute ribbon flowers. :)

Adin B
http://itssewtasticmama.blogspot.com/

Diane.W. said...

Wow,thanx for that,they are amazing!!! :o)x

Zafran ali said...

so simple! so quick! so perfect! thanks for a great tutorial on something.i like so much thank,s for great shearing.gifts send to Pakistan

mQo said...

great looking flowers... i made some fabric flower myself, check it out :)

Julie said...

This is great - thanks for sharing - can't wait to have a go!!

Unknown said...

Lovely bolg! I think this is the first comment I have ever written! Your blog is just amazing and the picture step by step tutorials are totally helpful!

xoxo

Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial....I am going to try it right now.....

Nilde Lima said...

Beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

I like your article so that I read all of your articles in a day. Please continue and keep on writing excellent posts.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs