Thursday, December 4, 2008

holiday potpourri

Bubbling quietly on the stove, this homemade holiday potpourri is a simple combination of citrus and spice that fills the house with the scent of Christmas. It's one of my favorite things to have brewing this time of year. I love to give it as a neighbor gift because it feels like a treat, but it doesn't add to the waistline. And it's so easy to make!
Ingredients:
*1 whole apple
*1 whole lemon
*1 whole orange
*3 whole cinnamon sticks
*6 whole cloves
*6 whole allspice berries
*2" piece fresh ginger root (optional)

I bought a bottle of whole cloves and a bottle of whole allspice (found in the spice section at the grocery store) and just sprinkled some of each with the other ingredients (i.e. I didn't count out six of each). I placed all the ingredients on a square of cellophane wrap, pulled the corners up together, and tied it up with a ribbon. Then I added a sprig of fresh greenery (which I cut from my yard), and a stem of fake berries. Then I added a tag I printed with the instructions and stamped with a few holly berries.

Instructions to include with your potpourri:

Holiday Potpourri
1. Cut fruit into 1/2-inch thick slices.
2. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cover with water.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer uncovered, adding water throughout the day as needed.

I use the same potpourri several days in a row (until it loses its scent), turning off the stove at night and starting it up again in the morning. You can also add apple cider to the ingredients rather than water, and it makes a cozy hot cider. Enjoy!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
20 Comments

20 Responses to “holiday potpourri”

Diana said...

I love it! I was searching for a gift idea for co-workers and this is perfect. Inexpensive, handmade...just lovely!

Jenny said...

What a great idea! This is so perfect for neighbors and teachers...and no calories! Thank you.

Jenny said...

Do you know if you could use a crockpot for this?

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Yes, you can use a crockpot, but I would settle for a smaller one on low heat. Also, I found the spices in the bulk food section at the grocery store too. In case you want to just buy a few and not a whole bottle. They were super cheap.

~Kimberly said...

I love this! I'm making these for all my friends for the holidays!

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

I have one of those minu crocks that are designed for potpourri. I have put a whole votive in there and used it as a tart warmer, but I love to fill it with water, cloves, cinnamon, and orange peels leftover from snack time.

Yummy!

Jackie Russell said...

Thanks for the great Holiday potpourri recipe.

Lisita said...

Just reading it I could smell it, yum. Can't wait to try it!!

Melinda said...

What a great idea! Is the cider any good or are you just going for the scent?

Merivelmoon said...

What a lovely idea, I may have to make an extra for myself. :)

Jen said...

Exactly what I was looking for!
Happy Holidays

The Huntsville Dunns said...

I love your ideas....they inspire me to be a better homemaker! Thank you sharing your talents with us :)

Anonymous said...

These are going to make super gifts for my son's preschool teachers and his Sunday school teachers! Thanks!

Unknown said...

ohhh, i can smell it already!!! =]

Alena Jo said...

I love it! I was just thinking about what I should make for neighbors and friends. This is it! Thanks!!

Lainey-Paney said...

so inspired today.
I didn't have all of the ingredients....but I put a pot on the stove with cinnamon sticks & cloves. Hubby commented on how well the house smelled when he got home.
We're all sick around here, so I'm pretty impressed that he could smell at all!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Oh I love this idea, and the card idea and all of the other ideas too! The simmering potpourri is so good for dry winters!

Rachael said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! I love it because it is a cute, useful, and non sweet gift! Don't get me wrong, I love sweets, but sometimes we eat too much of them at the holidays, so thanks again for this idea! I made 4 today and can't wait to give them away.

Victorian Lady said...

Hi :)

Just wanted to thank you for posting this...I did it and it turned out great. :)

Mere

Unknown said...

I love this as a gift. I usually put my fruit in my dehydrator for several hours to dry, then have a big bowl of mix (fruit and spices) at my front door with small plastic bags to give as parting favors to holiday guest. They can boil with water on stove or in warming pot

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs