Wednesday, November 5, 2008

hooded bath towels for kids


I received a few of those cute animal hooded bath towels at my baby showers, perfect for little baby heads. But now that my kids are bigger, I feel like I need them even more, except in bigger sizes (and without the cutesie animals!). So we decided to make our own using a bath towel and a hand towel. It was so simple that Jessica tried it as her first real project on her new sewing machine and she did great!

(Note: We made several of these, and the pictures ended up being of two separate towels, hence the color change.)

Kids Hooded Bath Towel Tutorial

What you'll need:

*One bath towel (we found big, nice ones for $3.50 at WalMart!)
*One matching hand towel ($2.50 at WalMart)
*Sewing machine and matching thread
*Rotary cutter or scissors

Okay, let's get started!

1. Measure and cut the hand towel in half width-wise. (You can get two hoods out of one hand towel.)


2. Fold bath towel in half width-wise to find center. Fold one half of hand towel in half and match the middle of it to the middle of the bath towel (this is to help you center the hand towel on the bath towel). Pin raw (cut) edge of hand towel to bath towel.


3. Sew the two together.


4. Fold the hand towel in half, right sides together. Pin along top. This will complete your hood. Sew across the edge.



5. Flip right-side out and you're done! Look at those little cuties--awww!


How's that for a 15-minute (or less!) project? We've got some other fun kid bath projects coming soon. Stay tuned!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
22 Comments

22 Responses to “hooded bath towels for kids”

CurlyPops said...

Such a cool idea..thanks!

Normatika said...

Fantastic idea! perfect for sunny days when my children are getting in and out of the pool

Casey said...

great idea! my kids would love these

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That's so funny! My husband asked my last night to make a bigger size hooded towel. Now I don't have to find a tutorial somewhere else. Thanks!

WonderKitty said...

I made one of these for my husband when he was 25! So his was way bigger! Thanks for posting the directions.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Fabulous idea!!! I'll be linking to this.

Mc Allen said...

awww, these are super cute and sew easy!! Thank you! :) LA

~Kimberly said...

Guess who's making a trip to walmart now!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I just found your blog and LOVE it! I had to go back and read all of your posts!

Mel said...

Oh, I love these!! Thanks for the tute!!

Anna said...

I'm thinking Christmas presents! This is great, thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Just in time for holiday gifts.

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

we were given one of these bathtowels when our first son was born 2 yrs ago & I'd been looking to find how to make them ever since - thanks for the tutorial!

Sallie said...

I've already made 2 and bought some Red towels to make 2 more for Christmas. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen a pattern for hodded bathrobes made from towels? I saw some at family camp this summer and the mom of the children said that grandma had made them. They had sleeves, hoods and fit everyone from the teens down to preschool...

Sarah said...

Great idea! I wanted to let you know that I'll be posting a link to your tutorial on my blog soon! You girls never cease to amaze me!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial!
I've made some for my kids :)
Will post about it in my blog and link your page too..
thanks again!

Kaycee said...

I love this! It's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll be making some for a baby shower and will link back here on my blog.

Unknown said...

I made two of these for my toddler today. So easy and fun! He LOVES them! Thanks for sharing this!

Bath and Fun said...

Good idea.....I love it.

Mary said...

Great idea for the kids, especially in the pool.

Theresa said...

Awesome!! Making this next weekend! Exactly what I have been looking for! This will be great for my 3 yo and 1 yo (well, when she gets bigger!)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs