Monday, January 24, 2011

self-bound receiving blanket {idea and link}


I've got a couple of baby showers coming up quickly--I'm so glad to have this great idea (and a link to a great tutorial) from our friend Jennifer. I love these blankets!

Self-Bound Receiving Blanket



Now that Christmas is over and all cleaned up its time to turn my attention to the next big event in my life. I have two daughters expecting their first baby in March and its time to start making baby things. I was in Idaho in September with one of my daughters and we went to a wonderful craft/fabric store called Porter’s. They had so many beautiful flannel fabrics. My daughter didn’t know what kind of baby she was having, but she was sure that it was going to be a girl, so we bought cute girl things. The other daughter knew she was having a boy, so I also bought cute boy things. I even bought extra just in case. Well sure enough after their ultrasounds, both girls are having boys and I am glad that I bought extra.

I wanted to make a self bound receiving blanket for them. I really like the look of having the back fold over the front. The directions looked simple and I figured that it would only take about an hour. Boy was I wrong. The mitered corners were a lot trickier than I expected and I only had written directions, no pictures. After I spent the whole day working on it, it occurred to me to hunt for a tutorial. I found a great tutorial here.


First blanket – all day. Second blanket – just over and hour, but not quite perfect. Third time's the charm.

Just a couple of additional tips: *I prewashed my flannel because flannel shrinks. *My flannel dimensions were 40” back and 30” front, but you can make *My flannel was made by My Mind’s Eye for Riley Blake and perfect flannel for babies, soft and the perfect weight. *These receiving blankets are so much nicer than the single layer flannel ones that you buy.


share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
9 Comments

9 Responses to “self-bound receiving blanket {idea and link}”

Ashley said...

i love them TOO! sooo cute!

Jen said...

Lovely idea. And with a new baby you can never have too many blankets.

Stephanie said...

what a great blanket - i, too, feel like i am part of the "third time's the charm" club as i think things are much easier before i begin! i will have to bookmark this project for a few friends' babies this spring...

thank you!

kelly said...

my daughter is having a baby in the fall and i really want to try some handmade things for her, not sure this is within my sewing range but i guess it doesn't hurt to try with the tutorial! very cute!

Amy said...

Oh I just adore that fabric! I have a stack of it waiting for my babe to out grow his crib and I plan to make it into a quilt with all the squares crocheted together! I have a vision and I hope to pull it of! Next time a baby comes I am going to have to check out that tutorial! Looks so cute!

Janice said...

adorable! I love Porters. I used to go there everytime I visited my daughter there too. Now she lives in CO;\

girlsmama said...

These are my favorite blankets! We have four girls and these blankets or a variation thereof have always been my go to for my babies.

Unknown said...

my good buddy made a couple of these when my baby Elsa waas born. i have hauled them everywhere and washed them a million times. i absolutely LOVE them.

Unknown said...

I always love your ideas! I have left you an award on my blog

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs