Monday, May 3, 2010

upcycled cake platter tutorial


It's only a week until Mother's Day, so here's a quick and easy project you can make for your mom (or yourself!). I found this plate for $1 at an antiques flea market and fell in love with it. I've been looking for something to add to the bottom to make a sweet cake platter for over a year now. I looked in antique stores, at Target, my own closets--nothing seemed right. Then I finally struck gold. I found a little votive holder for $4 at Anthropologie, and event though it was four times the price of the plate, it still turns out to be a $5 cake platter. Seriously, you can't beat that.

Upcycled Cake Platter Tutorial

Supplies:
Ceramic plate
Small candle holder, tea cup, or bowl
E6000 or other ceramic glue


1. Decide which end of the bottom piece you want glued to the plate. You could use a candle holder, a small tea cup turned upside down, or even a small bowl or flower pot. Line the edge of the bottom side with glue (I like E6000).


2. Press glue side down in center of the bottom side of the plate. Hold for a few moments. Allow to dry for 12-24 hours.


Ta-da! I think that was my shortest tutorial ever! I would love a trio of these using different plates with different sized items on the bottom for some height difference. I'm heading out to the Snohomish Antiques & Art Faire May 15th to find some more great pieces.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
25 Comments

25 Responses to “upcycled cake platter tutorial”

capperson said...

This is sooo neat and cute! Great idea! Thanks for the tip!

Amanda said...

WOW! I love this! I can't believe I never thought of this. Oh I'm so going to the thrift store today:) Thanks birdies!

Stripes and Stars said...

So shabby chich, and the cakes look really tasty too

lar1203 said...

love it!

Marit said...

What a great idea! Thanks for the tip. I love it! :)

Hannah said...

Wow...very cute...too bad i will be out of the country on the 15th of May or I might run into you.

Victoria N. H. O'Banion said...

My mom and I thought of this a few months ago and are doing it for my wedding. I am having plates of cookies and strawberry short-cake. Each table will be different and it goes with my vintage/recycled theme.

Anna said...

What a great idea, I can't believe I never thought of it!

http://bargainfatshionista.blogspot.com

Smullin Family said...

Do you wash it by hand?
I made one using the E6000 glue and washed it in the dishwasher. It came apart. I think I'll glue it back together and make sure I wash it by hand next time.
What have you experienced?

Morgan said...

I love it! That is so pretty! And now, I have another thing to look for at the thrift and antique stores- a pretty plate! :)

Angie said...

I have been searching high and low for a pretty cake plate. I didn't even THINK to make my own! Now I will be searching high and low for the perfect plate and base! Haha Thanks for sharing another great idea!

Tanya said...

How funny that you showed this today because I just picked up a plate today at an antique shop to do the very same thing. Great idea!!!

Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

Great idea!!

Please stop by to pick up your award.

Gr8Life said...

You are so CLEVER!! Love it!

Shelby said...

Great idea! I love cake plates but never would have thought it would be so easy to make one! Thanks :)

April said...

I received a cake platter like this over the weekend at a tea...too funny that you would post a tute on the very same thing!

And I love the idea... I am totally going to remember it in the future, these would make great gifts!

LeeLu Creations said...

I love it! Check out my finished platter here: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Greensboro-NC/LeeLu-Creations/265111092614

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Yes, I only wash mine by hand, not in the dishwasher. If anyone has another favorite ceramic glue that can go in the dishwasher, please post a comment for the rest of us!

JEROSHA Ă„RETUN said...

Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh i love the idea and it's truly perfect to give on any occasion. Thanks for sharing this =)

brokeintrovert said...

Great pieces make the project. You've chosen really wonderful ones.

Angie said...

What a great idea! My mom is getting the new cricuit cake machine. I think this would be the perfect thing to go with it!

debbie susee said...

Snohomish is great for antiques. Have a blast!

-Sydney- said...

Ahh dang! I was just at a community garage sale this morning. I wish I would have had this project in mind! Very cute.

Pera Chapita said...

too cute and super simple!!! love that!

Anonymous said...

I love the plate and it looks so pretty with the amber stand. I have seen this tip elsewhere but I like this one best of all. So elegant.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs