Friday, May 21, 2010

how to frost a cupcake video tutorial


We've had a few cupcake posts lately, and the other day a friend asked Stacy to show her how she frosts her cupcakes so perfectly. It's true--she has a gift for creating the most scrumptious, swirling piles of frosting. Of course I invited myself along, camera in tow, and turned the get together into a blog post. Sorry girls--I can't help myself! Thanks to Stacy, Shelley, Melissa, and Deborah for letting me act like the paparazzi while you decorated. You were stellar models!

Just FYI, we used a Wilton 1M star tip and disposable decorating bags in the video. You can find these at big box stores like Michael's, small specialty baking shops, and all over online. We embellished the cupcakes with chocolate monograms and cupcake picks (that Stacy made with her paper crafting supplies). Also, our favorite butter cream frosting recipe is from Food Network. Yummy and easy. Enjoy!



I also wanted to mention that I made this little video using my new Adobe Premiere Elements 8 video editing software that Adobe sent me. In the past I have used iMovie and Windows Live Movie Maker, so it was fun to compare and see the differences between all three. There is definitely a learning curve when moving from one software to another, and I still feel like I have a lot to learn about Premiere Elements. I spent a lot of time using their online Help site, which was wonderful. It includes pictures and diagrams to help you navigate the many menus and screens. But my movie took a lot longer to create than it should have. Hopefully I will get faster the more I use it.

One thing I love about this software is how you can use so many different effects on the video. It's a lot like Photoshop. It's great to be able to fix the color or lighting in a clip that is too dark, or crop something a little closer. You can also apply stylized effects like gausian blur or beveled edges. It also has a ton of cool text options. I was impressed that I could set the "style" for my text so that I didn't have to keep fixing the font, color, and size in ever clip that I had a text overlay. Like Photoshop, Premiere Elements is pretty powerful editing software, which was a little bit of a detriment to little 'ol novice me. I felt like there were a lot of options that were way over my head, even after I read the Help section. But I'm sure that, too, will be less of an issue as I use and understand the software better. You'll be hearing more from me on this subject. . .

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
16 Comments

16 Responses to “how to frost a cupcake video tutorial”

The Cook Fam said...

Wow! I'm pretty sure I feel kind of famous now! That was so much fun learning to frost cupcakes that way! And really quite easy too. Thanks to all the Little Birdie's! You are amazing instructors and fabolous friends! Can't wait for the next fun day of crafting!

sallgood said...

Thanks! I love how beginning with that extra bit gives it such a cute shape. Thanks for the tip!

Lisa said...

That is my FAVORITE frosting too :)

Love the tips and video. Thank you so much.

lAuRa said...

Thanks for all you do! I am passing along the 'virtual blogger' award. Pick it up here: http://tasteslikechikin.blogspot.com/

hilljean said...

Beautiful! Always wondered how it was done :)

Tiffany said...

not to sound lame, but i really needed that video. seems like mine never come out tall enough. many thanks.

Kristin said...

Great video. You make it look easy, and it's definitely easier to understand the technique seeing it in action. Thanks for the tips and my cupcakes will thank you too.

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

I love me some cupcakes. It is nice to show how easy it is to frost them. Some people think it is a science. It is great to know anyone can easily make cupcakes look great!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

You know it has to be easy when the model in the video was doing it for the first time! (Yes, Shelley, you are famous now!)

Unknown said...

Yay! This is great.

-Sydney- said...

The blob in the middle! That's what I was missing! Thanks for the video and I bookmarked the recipe.

thursday said...

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much!

http://ilove2cutpaper.blogspot.com/ said...

I have just watched this video with my 6 year old boy who was drooling at the mouth. He said "who ever created those must be very clever because they look very YUMMY!"

Kelly K. said...

I loved this! I am making cupcakes for my daughter's birthday and I'm going to try this. Where did you find the flat toothpick things to mount the decorations on? I've never seen anything quite like them? Thanks!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

We found the flat picks at Target!

Kelly K. said...

which section of Target? by the scrap-booking stuff or another section? they are pretty cool, if I can find them at my target.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs