Friday, May 7, 2010

daisy cupcakes


Stacy is always making cupcakes and topping them with the most beautiful swirls of frosting. They're almost too pretty to eat. Almost. But this time she has outdone herself. Behold the daisy cupcake topper. They're made with gum paste, also known as sugar paste, pastillage, or sometimes candy clay. It starts as a powder, gets mixed into a dough, and dries crispy like candy (think Neccos). If you loved playing with Playdough as a child, you're going to love this stuff!

You can find gum paste mix all over online (try Wilton brand) and at specialty baking stores. Add water according to the mix's directions and knead into a soft dough. You can also add food coloring to tint the dough at this point. Roll the dough out into about 1/16" to 1/8" thick.


Using a cookie cutter (we used a daisy similar to Wilton's push 'n print cutters), cut out your shapes.


Next, color in any parts you want to accent using a food coloring paste or gel (we colored the flower centers). Let your shapes dry completely before putting them on a cake. This can take 24 hours or more! Then place on top of your cupcakes or cake. Don't these just scream Spring?

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
12 Comments

12 Responses to “daisy cupcakes”

Marit said...

Oh how cute! I have to find some of that paste and make some daisies :)

Chrissy said...

They are lovely. Really bright and cheerful. I would pause for at least 30 seconds to admire the handiwork before scoffing the lot.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

One of the prettiest cupcakes I've seen! I've never tried using gum paste before. It hardens, right?

Courtney said...

You can also find gum paste mix or ready to use gum paste almost anywhere that sells Wilton products (Micheal's craft, Hobby Lobby, Wal-mart, etc.) You can also buy curved trays specially made for drying flowers like this in, that way the have a bit of a shape to them and look more "real" but that might make them a bit more of a challenge to top a cupcake with. :-D
I like to make my flours out of royal icing, but there's a bit more work involved.
Your cupcakes look lovely. :-)

Unknown said...

Adorable!!!! I would like one please.

Michaelangelo said...

Just a tip for making gum paste flowers- use vegetable shortening to grease your hands and working surface, and keep the dough covered tightly so it doesn't dry before you're done working with it. You can see my first ever gum paste project here: http://michaelangelarigby.blogspot.com/2008/01/cakes.html
I love that stuff!

heavenisabookstore said...

Yummy. They look just scrumptious.

Kerri said...

So CUTE! I love the plate they are on too!

Yesterday's Tomorrow said...

hey!! I just happen to have a can of paste stuff in my cupboard!!!

I want to thank you for posting the SWEET tuts on the tea cup bird feeder and the plate platter!!! I made 2 of each my mom LOVED hers!!
thanks again!! I have yet to take pics...

Cassie said...

Love these cupcakes! I'll definitely have to try the gum paste, too! Thanks!

faith ann raider said...

SO cute!! looks adorable

Anonymous said...

I love this! So easy - so something I could actually do! Happy Mother's Day - and thanks for sharing this wonderful secret!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs