Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Guest Post - Teacup Bird Feeder



The Birdies have been busy getting their gardens ready and when we saw this tutorial we knew it would be a great addition to our backyards.

The ever talented Cathy, the woman behind Cap Creations, has been making these darling bird feeders for years and we are so excited that she agreed to be a guest on our blog today and share her tutorial. Be sure to go check out her site and blog.


Materials
Cup and Saucer
Spoon
1/2 inch Copper Pipe (Pluming section of hardware store.)
1/2 inch Copper Cap (Also in the pluming section of hardware store.)
Sandpaper
All Purpose Adhesive
Birdseed
Water

1. With sandpaper, lightly sand the bottom of the cup.



2. Lightly sand the top of the saucer where the cup will sit. This will allow for a better bond.



3. Apply the adhesive around the base of the cup where it will touch the saucer.



4. Attach the cup to the saucer, press firmly. Add weight to the top while drying, books work good.



5. Sand the bottom of the spoon and the small spot on the saucer where the spoon will sit.



6. Apply adhesive to the spoon. I also apply adhesive to the stem of the spoon where it will hit the edge of the saucer.




7. Attach spoon to the saucer. Press down firmly. This perch is for the birds! he! he!

8. Now this next step is the hardest but it must be done properly if you want it to come out right. You must wait for the adhesive to properly dry/cure before moving on. :) This must be done and could take up to 24 hrs. Read the directions on whichever adhesive you select for dry time.

9. Once adhesive is dry, turn the cup and saucer upside down and sand a small spot in the center of the saucer.


10. Sand the top of the 1/2 inch copper cap.



11. Apply adhesive to the copper cap.



12. Attach the copper cap to the bottom of the saucer. Pressing firmly again add weight to the top as it is drying.



13. Now again you must allow this to properly dry. This seems like forever! But you need to let it dry for the proper time if you want it to last.

14. Place the copper pipe in the ground.

15. Place the Tea Cup Bird Feeder on top, by placing the pipe in the cap that is attached to the bottom of the saucer. My copper pipe is about 3 feet tall but you can make it any desired height. Smaller heights are good for pots.



These will last for several years. This one below is one of my favorites and is about 6 years old! It is still very sturdy! And does not need any repairs and never has needed any repairs. I did use the E600 on this one. Lovely lovely! And a big thank you to my son for all of his help! Those are his hands in all of the photos.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
28 Comments

28 Responses to “Guest Post - Teacup Bird Feeder”

Name Nazi said...

What happens when it rains? Doesn't the saucer fill up with water too? Wouldn't that waterlog the bird seed?

Amy said...

Thanks for the post, I know I have some teacups to use and plenty of birds to feed.

Kim said...

So cute! I'm going to run to the thrift stores to find some cups, saucers and spoons. This will be a perfect gift for Mother's day! I love your son's little hands in all of the pictures too. Sweet.

Marit said...

Oh, I love this! What an awesome idea. Thanks for the tip! :)

Seaside Siblings said...

Wow, what a lovely idea! Will be making one of these. Thanks for sharing.

Cap Creations said...

So easy ladies! Glad you like it!

Rain! What's that? Well, yes it will fill up with water when it rains. I would suggest either taking it down for the winter or just let the water fill it, no seed.

Don't get much rain here! :)

Leslie said...

What a wonderfully cute idea! I've got to do this!

all for believing said...

What a sweet idea!

Unknown said...

Ummm fabulous much?! Great idea, now to find some fun vintage teacups:-)

mamaTAVE said...

Thank you for this! I have always seen these selling for a pretty penny in stores and thought "I could make this by myself" but was never quite sure how. I will give it a go now! Thanks again.

Unknown said...

So unique! Reminds me of Alice's Mad Hatter...very creative, thanks for sharing the tute :)

Shantaie said...

I know my daughter would LOVE to make one of these! Thanks so much for such an easy and wonderful tutorial...and thank you to your son for being a "handsome" hand model!!

Twiggles and Trunks said...

so cute! definitely blogging this next week.

kirsty said...

I totally love this idea, I can't wait till August for my mother in law's birthday, she will adore it!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

I love this! I can't resist a cup and saucer and now I can take a few and use them in this way...beause we love to feed the birdies!
~Nancy

Shawna Del Real said...

Thanks for this. I just posted on my blog http://www.jcgracegirls.com/2010/05/tea-cup-bird-feeders.html

Rachel said...

How charming!

Novell said...

Oh my gosh! I L*O*V*E this!!! I gotta find some cups and saucers!!

Amy said...

That looks beautiful - I have a feeling my inquisitive kitten would want to jump all over this though...might have to train her do ignore things in the garden before I give this a go :D

jeni said...

I bought everything I needed while running errands today! I'm making them for my mom and my mother-in-law. What a fabulous idea! Thanks for the inspiration.

Atticelf said...

Oh, thank you! Just in the nick of time for Mothers' Day when I have 2 moms - I hadn't a clue what to get for them. I better hit the thrift stores before all of the teacups are nabbed...

Jennifer Juniper said...

I love this idea - I've seen a couple of these and each time I think it's the cutest thing ever! I just linked you a while back and I can't remember what for - but you always have great ideas :)

Missy said...

I have seen these at craft shows and flea market craft booths and the price is CraZy. THank you so much for a great tutorial.

Matt and Kim Fairbanks said...

I made two! They turned out so cute and I can't wait to give them away. Great directions and photos - they were so helpful!!!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I love the spoon- that is such a great idea! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

thursday said...

Oh this is so sweet! I'm seriously considering making one of these for my new backyard.

tülin said...

Elişlerinizi çok beğendim.
tebrik ederim.
Ankara dan selam.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea of yours! So simple and unique. Have you ever made the base out of something besides copper? Wondering if there is a less expensive option? I am told copper is pricey? Any thoughts?

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs