Friday, May 28, 2010

sweet chex mix



I love Chex mix. Pretty much every kind of it. But this sweet Chex mix that my mom has made ever since I was a kid is my absolute favorite kind. I won't pretend that it is healthy in any way, but that's why it's delicious! When you need a sweet, gooey, treat run to the nearest store and grab the ingredients for this recipe. It could be the hit of your Memorial Day BBQ!

Sweet Chex Mix
Place in large bowl:
1 (16 oz) box of corn Chex
1 can of peanuts, lightly salted (I usually go light on the peanuts for my husband's preference, so use whatever amount suits you.)

Melt 2 cups of butter or margarine in a pan. Add:
1 1/2 cups corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
--Bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes. Pour over cereal and peanuts. Stir and pour out onto wax paper. Let sit for a couple of hours and then store in an airtight container.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
12 Comments

12 Responses to “sweet chex mix”

sweetjeanette said...

oh wow! I love collecting snack mix ideas! This is perfect!!! Thanks bunches!

jeanette from www.sweetjeanette.com

nest full of eggs said...

my oldest son & i are gluten-free, so i will for sure give this a try - thanks for sharing !

heavenisabookstore said...

I'm going to have to try this. I love chex mix.

Chelsea Lewis said...

I love this recipe! I also add coconut to it! =) YUMMO!

jill said...

sounds similar to the honey nut chex, which i love. i'm going to try this, but may pound the peanuts to make them smaller pieces.

TeenaBugg38 said...

Ohhhh heck yeah!! On my list!!!

Unknown said...

We love this treat! We use almonds instead of peanuts and add Golden Grahams and coconut (recipe here on my blog). It's good no matter what you put in it!

Marianne & Clayton said...

I tried this last night and it was a total fail. There was too much butter! When I tried to pour it out it went everywhere.I looked up other versions of this and the butter-sugar-syrup ratio is always equal. Does anyone know if that works better? It was so bad I had to throw it all away. So sad. Any tips?

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Sorry Marianne. I have been making this for years and never had any problems. When I boil it for a few minutes it does thicken up. By the time I pour it over the chex it is not extremely runny and after it sits for a while it gets even thicker. So, I am not sure what happened on yours. I typically use margarine when I do it. I haven't tried any other similar recipes, so I don't know if those ratios would work better.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

OK, this looked so good I just had to make it, only I used brown sugar and cashews because thats what I had around. Yummy. It is cooling right now. A Memorial Day treat. Thanks!

Marianne & Clayton said...

Thanks. I think I needed to boil it longer. I was afraid of burning it, I will have to give it another try!

Sandi a::k::a KnitMyRhino said...

...and this is why I heart you!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs