Friday, December 18, 2009

holiday recipes

In my family growing up we had a tradition that I loved. On Christmas Eve my mom would make a bunch of appetizers, snacks, and sweets and we would just munch on them all throughout the day. No particular meals were planned, we just snacked. Then, on Christmas day my mom would make a nice dinner.

I loved the variety of foods we got to taste and some were such favorites that they made an appearance every year. This year I have been planning what foods to make for my family on Christmas eve. We are still narrowing it down, but here are some of our favorites.

One thing we have to make each year are my mom's Sloppy Joe Turnovers. Remember these?


Another thing I love to make is English Toffee, a recipe from my Aunt.


English Toffee

1 cup sugar
1/2 lb (2 cubes) butter or margarine
2 T. water
1/2 bag milk chocolate chips or 5 Hershey bars
finely chopped walnuts, optional

Cook sugar, butter, and water over medium-high heat stirring constantly until golden brown (this happens very quickly so keep your eye on it). If butter separates just keep going, it will go back together. Part butter and part margarine separates less than all butter. Pour quickly onto an ungreased cookie sheet. While hot, sprinkle chocolate on top of candy. Wait a minute or two for the chocolate to soften then spread evenly with a knife. Top with nuts, if desired. When cool break into small pieces and eat like crazy!



And another favorite at my house, and probably at your house too, are Oreo Balls. They are kind of like cake pops...maybe even a little better!

Oreo Balls
1 package Oreos
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 package dipping chocolate

Crush Oreos in a food processor until very fine (you could also use a blender). Mix in the cream cheese. Form into 1" balls and chill for 1 hour. Melt chocolate and dip the balls. Set on wax paper to cool. Drizzle with melted white chocolate, if desired. Refrigerate.



For something new this year, these chocolate candy cane cookies from The Pioneer Woman look absolutely divine! I might have to give them a try. Enjoy your holiday cooking!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
21 Comments

21 Responses to “holiday recipes”

andrew said...

These all look so delicious thank you so much for these!

arkie said...

Yummy recipes! (I can't see the sloppy joe turnover recipe?) I love having family favorites to eat at Christmas and other holiday's! Thanks for sharing them on your blog!

Hissyfits & Halos said...

Yum! I'd love to get the recipe for the "Sloppy Joe Turnovers" but the link just brings me back to this post. Those look easy AND good! :)

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

The toffee looks delicious! It reminds me of candy bars my mom makes during the holidays.

Amy said...

Okay, I was so excited that I had all the ingredients for your toffee! I just finished making it and it is divine! Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

What an awesome tradition...never to late to start a new one right! Thanks for the tips.

ELK said...

three wonderful sounding recipes...happy tradition too!

Kat said...

Yummy! Everything looks so delicious!

Plentymorefishoutofwater said...

I'm salavating just looking at this blog. Especially the turnover. Love what you're doing here - your header is amazing.
I blog about my disastrous dates/sexual embarrassments/pursuit of my hairdresser - check it out: http://plentymorefishoutofwater.blogspot.com/

Celia said...

Thanks so much for the recipes!!! I will try them both for sure this Holidays!

Cathy said...

I do the same thing as your mom! It is a wonderful tradition and one that my grown children still love.
Thank you for the recipe for toffee.....yum!
Cathy

Kylar said...

These look really good! I just made my mom's toffee which is similar to yours but instead of sugar she uses karo syrup and i love it. I'll have to try yours and see if I can tell the difference! Looks good!

April said...

I just made the Oreo Balls for our Christmas party and they were such a big hit! And they are so easy!!

Chelsy@ Sweet Pea Kisses said...

Our family has a Christmas eve snack dinner also! It's something we all look forward to every year. Some of our favorites are Dorrito Chicken Bites, and a Chocolate Chip Cheeseball. We always have new things to try, but these two keep coming back! Let me know if you would like to try one of them and I will send you the recipes!

Kristi-punkinseedproductions.blogspot.com said...

Yummm! I can't wait to try your recipes. Thanks for sharing!

WonderKitty said...

I just wanted to say that i have never made candy before, so this maybe pretty obvious to everyone else, but you can't use all margarine. It just doesnt work. I bought butter and will try again.

Erin said...

Oh my WORD! Those Oreo Balls look uh-mazing!

Thoris Designs said...

Made the English Toffee last night and sprinkled it with sliced almonds. Tastes just like almond roca! LOVE it! Thank you again. Merry Christmas ;)

Anonymous said...

what is 2Ts water

Little Birdie Secrets said...

T is short for Tablespoons. A lowercase t is short for teaspoon or it can also be written tsp.

Sallie said...

The toffee was so yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs