Friday, February 6, 2009

valentine treats for your sweets

Got a sweet tooth, or a sweetheart who does? We've gathered a few fun Valentine treats that are as delicious as they are cute!

I know what you're thinking: What are those divine pops and how do I get me some? These are cake pops. Never heard of them? Your waistline will wish you hadn't once you try them. Think cake and frosting mixed together and dipped in chocolate.


There is a serious cake pop revolution going on right now. If you don't know Bakerella, you need to meet her. She makes the coolest cupcake pops, and she'll show you how we made these, plus totally inspire you with her culinary art.

A friend made these as Christmas neighbor treats (sans sticks so they looked like cake truffles) and came up with AMAZING cake/frosting combinations. Try one of these--I'm going to try them all:

  • Lemon cake/butter cream frosting with dark chocolate shell
  • Strawberry cake/strawberry frosting with white chocolate & dark chocolate drizzle
  • German chocolate cake/coconut pecan frosting with milk chocolate shell
  • Carrot cake/cream cheese frosting with white chocolate shell
  • Chocolate fudge cake/chocolate frosting with milk chocolate shell & white choc. drizzle
  • Vanilla cake/vanilla frosting with dark chocolate shell
Thanks, Lacey!

Marshmallow pops are even easier to make. Just melt melting chocolate or melting candies, stick a marshmallow on a sucker stick, and dip away. We sprinkled various sprinkles on top and drizzled some with colored melting candy, but you could also roll them in nuts, mini chocolate chips, or coconut. Or how about crushed graham crackers? A little smores action.


We stuck them in balls of play dough until the chocolate hardened.


We were planning on suggesting this as a fun treat to make with your kids, until we did it. So let me revise--this is a fun treat to make with your older kids. Unless you like cleaning chocolate off of everything you own.


We wrapped each marshmallow pop in a square of cellophane and tied with a bow for a sweet Valentine treat.


Parents Magazine has instructions for these adorable cookie pops. Yum! I'm loving those heart-shaped sprinkles!


And while you've got the dipping chocolate out, why not dip a few cherries? They have a built-in stick.


If, for some unimaginable reason, you don't like chocolate (those words should never be used together in a sentence), here's another darling "pop" you can make.

Skip to My Lou shows us how to make candy cane hearts for suckers or cupcake toppers. So cute! I'm going to stock up on mini candy canes next January!

Ten pounds later, we hope you have a sweet Valentine's day!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
34 Comments

34 Responses to “valentine treats for your sweets”

TuTu's Bliss said...

Wonderful ideas!! Thanks.

Melinda said...

I made the cakeballs recently but shaped them into hearts (almost like petit fours). They turned out super cute and very tasty!

http://thebrookshirefam.blogspot.com/2009/01/cake-ball-petit-four-combobulations.html

Alicia said...

These. Look. AMAZING! I think I will actually MAKE these!! Perfect valentine treats! Absolutely perfect. Thank you so much for such an AWESOME BLOG!!!

Carrie said...

Thanks for a gret Valentine post. I love Bakerella too.

Kameron said...

This will probably sound ridiculous, but where do you buy the sticks for these?? They look so cute I want to make them...and give them away so i don't gain the whole 10 pounds myself!!

mommy4life said...

You're jeopardizing my diet! Does anyone else think it's unfair for Valentine's Day to come so soon after making those weight loss resolutions? LOL!

Seriously, these all look delicious!

Unknown said...

those are adorable. I love anything that will add more chocolate to my life!

Amy said...

oh I just made the cake balls and oh my yum! Big big big big hit! they are just so so so good!

http://myzoebug.blogspot.com/2009/02/happy-football-day.html

I love all the other ideas- I am going to have to try them! thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

Your blog is so fun!!

I love all these ideas. We are having a tea party (will blog about it soon) and these are great ideas!!

Patti Erickson said...

They are both really easy and fun to make. Love Bakerella too!

Barbara Brown said...

good use for those leftover marshmallows from christmas. leftover...did i just say leftover? what am i thinking? my kids will love these.
barbara brown

Julie Magallanes said...

These are great ideas! Thanks! Looks so delicious!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I've tried making the cupcake pops several months ago...they aren't quite as easy to make. Actually, I think it was because my cookie cutter was too large (couldn't find anything smaller!). Maybe I'll try again. I bet the kids would love that as a treat for Valentine's Day!

{amy k.} said...

something yummy and cute- right up my alley! I found heart krispie pops the other day too and I'm wanting to try them out:
http://kari-youcanmakeit.blogspot.com/2009/02/heart-krispie-pops.html

Ashley said...

Yumm! I love cake balls. I've never thought of making them 'pops' before. And what pretty packaging. I really am going to try this some day. They would make great Valentines or even favors at a shower.

I am Harriet said...

YUM!

MyFavoriteThings said...

I made some chocolates with that recipe. It was so addictive. Next thing you know I was tring to dip everthing in chocolate.

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I made those cupcake pops for my daughter's birthday in December. They were a HUGE hit with the 5 year olds!

http://frillsfluffandtrucks.blogspot.com/2009/01/cupcake-pops.html

I'm making the marshmallow ones as her Valentine treat for her classmates. Good to know that I shouldn't have her help--thanks for the tip!

~ Sarah

Laura said...

Oh my goodness I don't know if I love you or hate you. YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

wow this is amazing -- thanks for all the inspiration!

Katie Lane said...

These look so SWEET! I'm totally posting about them.

D said...

I grew up in Redmond and one of the ladies from my ward there participates in a quilt group that is having a benefit quilt show/raffle in Redmond on March 7th. It's for American Hero Quilts which gives patriotic quilts to injured American Soldiers at Madigan Hospital at Fort Lewis. You can find out more info about the Show at: http://www.potsandpins.com/blog/
and more about the non-profit at http://www.americanheroquilts.com/home.htm

Maybe you can help get the word out? Thanks!

Alena Jo said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing this fun recipe! I made these within hours of seeing this post. They were so easy and my kids loved helping me. We made it with strawberry cake mix. It was surprisingly (to me) yummy. I will definitely make these again, but I'd use a chocolate cake mix! These really are so yummy! I'm sure they're so horrible for us, though (isn't it always that way)! Thanks, again!

Sarah J. said...

Aaahhhh! I am dying over the pops! Those are the cutest things I have ever seen! Oh my gosh, I don't think I can resist trying them. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

All of the treats look yummy! I feel my waist line expanding right now, lol!

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness THese look awesome...I must try

Michelle said...

Ohhh, I am so borrowing your idea for the chocolate covered marshmallows! Yummy!

Synergy Girl said...

What a fun site!! I am going to add you to my sidebar!! Thanks for all your cute tips!!

Small Fry and Co. said...

Thank you fr so much great information and amazing ideas in one post. I love it.

Sallie said...

I made these, the marshmallow ones and they turned out great. I did find it easier when the marshmallows are refrigerated. Also, I used the playdough idea too. Thanks again for a wonderful idea.

Chrissy said...

These all look awesome! I've included a link to these in my Vday round-up. Thanks for sharing!

Miranda said...

I made the marshmallows today to surprise my husband. He LOVED it! Thanks for the idea. It was so easy and YUMMY! Oh, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but for the stickes I just used skewers (the kind you use for shis-ka-bobs). Just cut off the sharp tip.

Alena Jo said...

I have made the cake balls two times now. Once with strawberry cake, cream cheese frosting, & chocolate of course, and once with german chocolate cake, cream cheese frosting and chocolate. We loved them so much! I just freeze the cake balls for awhile before I cover them with chocolate and they still turn out great. I love how the cake never really freezes hard. My kids eat them just like that.

I can't wait to try the marshmallows and sprinkle them with crushed graham crackers. So yummy!

Thanks for the idea! I love your blog!

Lindsay Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

Such great ideas!! Featured your adorable Marshmallow Pop on my blog today :)

Feel free to come check it out!
http://artsyfartsymama.blogspot.com/2012/01/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-19.html

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs