Friday, December 11, 2009

wassail

Last week at my book club, my friend Juleen brought some treats. One thing she brought was delicious wassail and everyone really enjoyed it. It smells so amazing with all the spices that are in it and it tastes just as great. It is the perfect drink for the holidays and is sure to warm your homes.



Wassail

2 1/4 cups white sugar
4 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 slice fresh ginger root
8 whole allspice berries
1 Tbls. whole cloves
4 cups orange juice
2 cups lemon juice
8 cups apple juice

DIRECTIONS:
In large saucepan, combine sugar and water. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add all spices.


Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Add juices and bring to a boil, remove from heat, strain and serve!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
9 Comments

9 Responses to “wassail”

Janelle said...

That sounds delicious! I've been thinking about making wassail for a holiday get-together, thanks for the recipe!

Tots and Tails said...

Where the heck do you find all spice berries and ginger root

Little Birdie Secrets said...

They can be found at most grocery stores. Ginger root is in the produce section. Whole allspice berries are in the spices section.

yufinats said...

SOUNDS YUMMY...MUST TRY !

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Oh, Wassail is a family favorite of ours! As soon as the weather starts getting cold (and that's quite late, here in Arizona) we start making batches of this wonderful spiced drink! Love it!
Rebecca of the R&W Gals

small house plans said...

My mother loves making wassail every Christmas dinner. She is not with us this Christmas and I am worried about me making wassail. I am glad that you posted the recipe. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

your the first blogger I've come across to mention the wassail and I'd not heard of it myself until I met the Butler of the Wassail at a National Apple Day event in October. It's a lovely tradition and I like the idea of giving some of the drink back to the apple tree by way of thanks for the harvest and blessings for the coming year. I don't suppose your friend dressed up like this though! http://nipitinthebud.wordpress.com/2009/10/25/national-apple-day/

Diana said...

Does it have to be whole cloves, or could I use ground cloves? I just don't want to go buy another spice that I only know one recipe for.

pippinsequim said...

This is very interesting... my family makes wassail, but we use cranberry juice instead of orange juice and lemon juice. I wonder which is the original version (or if there is one)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs