Friday, July 17, 2009

Italian Vegetable Hoagies

It's Friday--which means it's time for another yummy recipe. I thought I would stay on the theme of fresh and summery recipes. I have a recipe that is quick and easy (you know I love that) and perfect for a hot day since you don't have to turn on the oven! I found this recipe for Italian Vegetable Hoagies at eatingwell.com and they are de-lish! As much as I want to love vegetables, there just aren't a ton of them that I do. I am always looking for ways to get more veggies into my diet, and this recipe was a perfect way. I bet you could substitute any of your favorite veggies and it would still be great.



Italian Vegetable Hoagies


1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
2 slices provolone cheese (about 2 ounces), halved
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini (I added a little more since I love these little guys)

1. Place onion rings in a small bowl and add cold water to cover. Set aside.
2. Combine artichoke hearts, tomato, vinegar, oil and oregano in a medium bowl. Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side. Drain the onions and pat dry.
3. To assemble sandwiches, divide provolone among the bottom pieces of baguette. Spread on the artichoke mixture and top with the onion, lettuce and pepperoncini. Cover with the baguette tops. Serve immediately.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
9 Comments

9 Responses to “Italian Vegetable Hoagies”

Unknown said...

This looks delicious. Don't you just love Eating Well magazine? It's one of my favorites. Beginning August 5, I will be hosting Crock Pot Wednesdays on diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. I hope you will join me. THERE WILL BE PRIZES:)

Janice said...

ooh that looks so tasty, I love artichoke hearts.

My Precious Peanut Designs said...

This looks so delicious! Thanks for the recipe :)

Jessica F said...

Yuuuuummmm! This sounds like a wonderful summer meal!

Tina said...

I just found your site.... Clicked onto 'Make and Takes' via Nesting Place and have to say I LOVE THIS BLOG! Such a wealth of info. Great stuff here and can't wait to explore some more :-)

Ruth said...

My mouth is watering just look at this amazing sandwich.
Ruth

Atticelf said...

Ultra-yummy looking!

-Sydney- said...

What's the reason for putting the onions in cold water? Anyone know?

Janna said...

I tried this tonight. It was so good. My husband even ate it :) A great way to get vegetables in him.

I think the reason for onions in cold water is to take away from their oniony potentcy. I usually don't like raw onions on sandwiches, but this was really, really, really good. And easy on the pocketbook, too!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs