Tuesday, July 21, 2009

covered wood bead bracelets


I guess we're really on a jewelry kick this week! That was unintentional, but fun. Here's a very simple bracelet or necklace idea that is great for little girls and bigger girls. The best part is that you can make one out of a pretty small scrap of fabric or a leftover piece of ribbon, so it's cheap, too!

Covered Wooden Bead Bracelet Tutorial

We made two of these--one using a fabric scrap (easy) and one using a piece of ribbon (super easy). That's why you'll see us using the supplies for two different projects.


What you'll need:

*Wooden beads (found at most craft stores with the jewelry supplies)--enough to go around your wrist
*Length of fabric or ribbon that can hold all your beads, plus about six inches extra for the ties (more if you want to tie your ends in a bow)
*Sewing machine (if using fabric)
*Cooordinating thread
*Fray Check (to keep your ribbon or fabric from fraying on the ends)

1. Cut a strip of ribbon or fabric. You will want to be sure it is wide enough to wrap around your beads and long enough to wrap around your wrist with extra length for the ties.


2. If using fabric strip, fold the strip together lengthwise and sew down the long end. (We didn't sew our ribbon and it worked fine.)


3. Using a dowel, turn your sewn strip inside out.


4. Iron the strip.


5. About 5 or 6 inches from one end, wrap a piece of thread or embroidery floss around the tube and tie a knot. Insert your first bead.


6. Using your thread, tie another knot to keep this bead in place. Add another bead. Repeat.


7. Continue repeating until you have enough beads to wrap around your wrist comfortably.


8. When you are done and the bracelet fits your wrist, tie the last bead off with thread. Apply fray check to your ends, and tie them in a knot or a bow. That's it!


Wouldn't it be fun to make a coordinating bracelet for a little girl's dress or skirt with the leftover fabric? Or, try bigger beads to make a long necklace. You could even tie a knot in the fabric between beads if they were a little bigger, making the process even simpler!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
13 Comments

13 Responses to “covered wood bead bracelets”

Betsypetsy said...

Super, thank you for the idea :)

I love to visit your blog :)

Wanda..... said...

I love your site...my grandson along with his mom's help made me one of these beautiful necklaces when he was about 8...he's now 21...it is epecially loved!

Regina @ Chalk In My Pocket said...

Hi there!

I just stumbled upon your blog via a link through a link through a link - you get the idea! Anyway, I love your crafting ideas and this one looked like a Christmas wreath to me! I might make a few of these to thwart my cats' love of smashing my glass ornaments! The wood would be indestructible - take that kitty! Heehee!

Regina @ Toddler Tales
http://rcherill.blogspot.com

LADY BEVERLY said...

Very clever idea! Yes - to match dresses would be great fun!

Happy sewing!

Bev

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Super cute bracelet! What a great idea to have coordinating jewelry for my daughter's dresses. Great - another project added to the list. :-)
Jenn

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Those are sooooo darling! Such a cute id.ea

Unknown said...

The first thing that jumped with both feet into my thoughts was "W-I-L-M-A!" Have you ever set your eyes on Fred Flintstone's wife's beaded necklace? That thing hugs her neck ever day - even while she's doing the dishes! And now, thanks to your creative juices flowing all over your darling blog, so can ours!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Oh these are too too cute. I don't have any girls, so I guess I will just have to make them for me!

Abbie said...

I was just trying to think of a fun, jewelry-ish idea to do with high school girls at church camp next week - this will be perfect! Fun and cheap!

Tamaratravel said...

they look just like the ones Coldwater Creek sold this last spring..great idea...

Kerri said...

i love that! I'm sure my 11 year old daughter will love this idea! (which by the way she loves your site!)

Katie Lewis said...

So cute! Thanks! :)

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

its such a nice tutorial...cute..

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs