Tuesday, July 28, 2009

home spa recipes


I’ve been looking for some good homemade “spa” recipes. Unfortunately, most of those I’ve come across require a trip to the natural food store or an online purchase (like soap supplies). I was thrilled to find in the May 2009 Better Homes and Gardens Magazine recipes for treatments that used things I already have in my house. Hooray!

Yogurt Face Mask
1 cup of yogurt
1 Tablespoon of Tumeric powder (used in Indian cooking)

Mix well and brush evenly on your face. According to BH&G, yogurt is a “natural source of lactic acid, which organically dissolves dead skin and leaves your face feeling smoother”. The tumeric is used as a brightener.


Avocado Hair Mask

Half an avocado, mashed
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 egg yolk

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Brush on wet hair paying attention to the ends. Let it sit a minimum of 30 minutes. Shampoo out.

We've seen lots of great home recipes out there, like pomegranate sugar scrub, honey bath, even a chocolate facial mask. Gather a few recipes and a few girlfriends--make your own spa girls' night in!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
13 Comments

13 Responses to “home spa recipes”

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking that my face needs a boost - too much sun, sweat and dust. Thank you. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I will have to give these a try.

Anonymous said...

Thank you anything for age spot removal and hair loss?

paula said...

I just found your site thru my niece and am delighted with what I've found. A treasure trove of great ideas. Thanks, can't wait to try some:)

Wendy said...

What fun sounding recipes!

I'd like to give a little warning about the turmeric, though. It stains everything yellowish orange. So be careful with it.

Natalia said...

Totally YUMMY...but I won't eat them. Maybe.

Alexis said...

Thanks for commenting! And amazing ideas for home spa days...such pretty pictures too! I love following your blog :)

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing! These sound so simple and easy. I am especially wanting to try the hair mask.

secret cake said...

Those look so refreshing! My current favorite is combining a cup of sugar, one half-cup to three-quarters cup of unscented carrier oil and a dozen or so drops of essential oil (lavender and eucalyptus most recently). This mix keeps well in a Tupperware container or canning jar with seal for a month or so. Rub generously on hands and feet, and rinse. So nice!

Gloria P. said...

I love natural facial and hair recipes. I hate all the chemicals in product. Thanks for sharing.

MMW said...

Seriously I look at those avocados and start drooling. Why would I want to put it all over my face when I could make a fantastic guac for dinner? YUM!

The masks look great too.

Jessica F said...

This is awesome! I love home beauty stuff like this :) those acacados look good enough to eat too...yumm :)

Atticelf said...

Oooohhhh...I like the yogurt idea! I am an avocado lover and can't imagine having the self-control to not gobble it up. ;)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs