Tuesday, February 3, 2009

elephants on parade quilt with easy fusible applique

Have you ever heard that stand-up comic routine about the Pop Tart? You know, the one where the guy makes fun of the wrapper instructions that give both the toaster and microwave cooking directions. He rants about those individuals that feel the need to skip the toaster and opt for the faster microwave option. He figures if you are in such a hurry that you need to microwave your Pop Tart because toasting it will take too long, you need some serious help. Well, let’s just say that I have microwaved a pop tart or two in my past. I would like to say it is because I am a busy mother of three. But, yeah right. Truth is I am impatient. Yikes!

Unfortunately, this sometimes shows up in my crafting life, too. This is why I am a huge fan of fusible appliqué. I love having a quilt that can be done in a weekend. I found this adorable elephant flannel fabric at JoAnn and it inspired me to make an “Elephants on Parade” quilt for a friend who is decorating her nursery in a circus theme.

I free-handed the elephant and then traced it on to the fusible appliqué and followed the instructions on the package. Then I appliquéd each piece onto my quilt top. (Need some appliqué help? Check out our post on simple machine appliqué.)

I then decided that this quilt needed a little something more. Now, remember the Pop Tart story? Well, me and my impatient self thought, “There has to be a faster way! I need to get this quilt off the craft room floor before baby eats it or wipes her nose on it.” So, I enlisted the help of my trusty Sizzix. You know fusible appliqué has all those steps--1. Trace, 2. Iron, 3. Cut, 4. Iron, 5. Sew down edges. Well, using my Sizzix cut out steps 1 and 3! I fused the Wonder Under to my fabric and ran it under the Sizzix to get both circle and star shapes. It was so easy and it helped get the quilt top done in a short span of and afternoon.

This quilt was done in a weekend and lucky baby with a circus-themed nursery will not receive a quilt with my baby’s drool or boogies. Hurray!

Wanna make your own "elephants on parade" quilt? Here's our fun template! Simply click on the picture and print it using your browser's print function. (You'll probably need to first go to File, Page Setup, and tell your browser to print this in Landscape rather than Portrait.)

If fusible appliqué is not your style, try charm packs or turnover packs. I absolutely love using them. The cutting is already done for you. One Christmas I was able to whip out four, yes FOUR, quilts for family members in a very short amount of time because I used charm packs. Unfortunately, I gave them all away and didn’t take pictures--doh! But here are pictures of two quilts I made the week before my little one was born. (Why I felt the need to make two baby quilts when 38 weeks pregnant I don't know, but I did.) Thank goodness for charm packs.

Want more easy quilt ideas? Check out our past post on the same subject! And if you're thinking about getting into quilting but don't even know the basics, fear not. We're working on a quilting basics post for all you novices out there. Stay tuned!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
29 Comments

29 Responses to “elephants on parade quilt with easy fusible applique”

Sarah C said...

I love love love the elephant quilt!

What a great way to 'upgrade' flannel.

What type of fabric do you use for the applique? flannel? or quilting cotton?

Unknown said...

I have to be honest with you, about thirty seconds after I did my first applique (some hearts on a zip up hoodie that had belong to my husband before i resized it, and then appliqued it just to clearly mark my new territory) I eyed up my cricut and beamed. I haven't actually tried it yet, having not gotten around to appliquing much since, but it hadn't occured to me to fuse it first, i was just thinking the fabric would stick nicely to the cricut cutting mat. However it'd also leave a lot of lint and ruin it pretty quick, so this is fab!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Do those kits come with instructions? I'm a beginner, beginner sewer and quilter. I'd love to try making one quilt.

Melinda said...

That is adorable! Can't wait for the quilting basics post!

Monica said...

Beautiful quilts! I remember the majic of wunder under when I was in college making applique t-shirts and sweatshirts for my sorority!

jenclair said...

I love the elephant quilt! Adorable!

BECKY said...

I think this quilt is soooo cute!! You did a wonderful job on it!! And you give me hope for my quilting!! (or lack thereof) Thanks so much for sharing your technique and template. You're very talented!! Just love your blog!
Blessings,
Becky

mommy4life said...

Love the idea of using your Sizzix. And love the sock monkey quilt. How cute?!

jewelstreet said...

That is one of the most gorgeous quilts I've seen. So glad you posted the elephant cause I want one. Love elephants and collect them. I don't have an elephant blanket yet.

Jackie Russell said...

Super cute baby quilt! I love it!

Our Family said...

How funny, I JUST watched that comedian for the first time on Friday night. Some friends of ours raved about him and had the dvd so we stuck it in. He is SERIOUSLY funny, right?! We loved it. It's pretty timely that we watched it right before your post!

I LOVE the quilt. SUPER SUPER cute. You guys are SO talented. You're my favorite blog to read!!

I love the cricut too and think it would be able to do the same thing as you did with the sizzix, but with maybe more options. How fun!!

Colette said...

The comedian is Brian Regan...loved the quilt!

Laura said...

I do not have a Sizzix but I have always wondered if it would work just how you used it. Now I know!! Thanks for the post I love the quilt.

Gluten Free Store Ltd www.glutenfreestore.co.nz said...

I just love the elephant quilt. The colours are fabo. Can't wait for the post for those of us wanting to get into it. I am busting to make a quilt but I'm a bit of a wimp and can't take the plunge!! it looks a bit difficult and scary.

Barbara Brown said...

incredibly helpful. thank you for sharing. love the elephants.
barbara brown

Sarah said...

you are brilliant!!! and i LOVE!!! that quilt--

Amanda @ www.kiddio.org said...

Awesome, awesome idea, and I just love how the stars turned out. Now coveting a sizzix :)

best, amanda @ www.kiddio.org/www.housemade.org

Christy said...

I saw that fabric at JoAnns and fell deeply, madly IN LOVE. I have been saving it to use on something special.

Cara said...

Can't wait for the quilting basics! I just said to my husband the other day that I'd like to try my hand at quilting- to which he rolled his eyes and said, "not another obsession...."

Anonymous said...

The elephant quilt is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

love the elephant... this might be just the thing to make for my expecting friend who loves elephants! also, love you charm pack quilts... what charm pack did you use for the sock monkey one?

sewtakeahike said...

oh my goodness! That's such a cute little quilt!! Thank-you so much for all the tips!

It's a Mom Thing said...

I just came across your blog and have enjoyed reading about your many craft projects. You are SO talented. I love crafting, but lack in the talent department. Oh well, I still have fun.
Anyways, I LOVE your quilts. So cute. My son's nursery is decorated with a sock monkey theme so that quilt immediately caught my eye. Precious!

Yara said...

I hope you see this & can let me know where I might find that kit thing for the sock monkey quilt : )

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Hi Yara,

I bought a charm pack. Erin Michael has designed some of these for Moda. I am not sure if you can get the exact same monkey print, but there are a few out there. I like to buy from www.fatquartershop.com. You can find it at other online retailers too. Try googling Erin Michael Sock Monkey. Right now she has a goodnight monkey theme out there. Good luck!

Becky Moore said...

cute! cute! cute. Thanks for the elephant template - my freehanding would have ruined the cuteness! lol

Shantaie said...

I made an entire baby shower theme using your fab template!!! I just love your blog and I know anyone who pops in will love it as much as I do!!

whimsyfox said...

I just came across your blog as my quilt group is planning an elephant quilt for a member's new baby to come, who's nickname is peanut....this is too adorable! I have a Cuttlebug and have cut fabric for scrapbooking projects and have been considering cutting for fusible appliques for a while (I'm a fan of fusible applique for sure!) This is the perfect project to try it on! =D

rainey_87 said...

I just printed out my elephant template and can't wait to get started on a quilt for our baby, due in Sept. I am really excited about using the aplique tutorial to make a really cute quilt! Love your site!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs