Tuesday, September 7, 2010

pinless magnetic backs for flower accessories

I'm back from vacation and we're back to the rosette flower tutorial extravaganza! Camping on the Washington coast was fabulous, but my husband wasn't crazy about me bringing fabric to work on rosettes in the car (he has a thing about stinky glue), so I'm super excited to get back to them!



One thing that has frustrated me about using these rosettes as accessories is the attaching part. The clips are great for some things, but they don't work as well on a sweater or purse. Pins are out--I don't want holes in my stuff! So I did some research and found the perfect solution. Then I found a supplier so I could get my hands on a whole bunch of them (yes, I'll share).


Meet the pinless accessory back. Yep--it's a magnet. Brilliant, right? One piece goes on the rosette, the other goes on the other side of what you want to "pin" it to. Here's a quick tutorial.


These magnets are made of strong neodymium magnets and a piece of steel. The steel side has a self-adhesive foam strip, which makes things even easier!


First, peel off the adhesive's backing and attach it to the felt on the back of your rosette.


Next, cut another piece of felt or fabric (it doesn't have to be perfect--who's gonna see it?) the shape of the back of your rosette. Apply fabric glue (I like Fabri-Tac) around the edge of your circle.


Place your circle glue-side down on the back of your rosette, over the steel plate.


Now the magnet piece will stick to it and you can attach it just about anywhere!




I said I would share, so here you go. Because I bought in bulk, I can offer them at a great price. I really, seriously don't think you'll find them this cheap anywhere on the Internet once you include shipping. I have them in sets of 5 magnets to reduce shipping costs for you, but you can always contact me via Etsy for a smaller order if you want. Or just share a pack with a friend if you don't think you'll use them all. But you will. They're that amazing. Get 'em before they're gone!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
20 Comments

20 Responses to “pinless magnetic backs for flower accessories”

Anonymous said...

used to wear a name badge with exactly the same as that when I was an IT manager, saved a lot of clothes but I was still an expert at losing it lol...who wants their name plastered on their chest anyway??? but its a great idea for the rosettes, might have to try that. glad you had a nice break

vnk's secrets said...

It's a great idea!
So do not spoil the dresses!

Kisses from Spain:

http://vnksecrets.blogspot.com/

Mandy Beyeler said...

Great minds think alike!! http://craftedition.blogspot.com/2010/07/magnet-accessories.html

Kymmie said...

I just ordered some magnets! I cannot wait to use them with my ideas... I love doing the rosettes but also - I do pottery and have been making pins lately (several people have asked for pins!!!)... this is SO much more user friendly than sticking a needle through your clothing! I hope it will hold up some of my porcelain treats! THANK YOU for sharing! I just love your blog and read it ALL the time! (First time commenter however)! LOVE your ideas! EVERY single one of them!!! =)
Kymmie M.
www.marrinersmusings.blogspot.com

BeeBaker said...

We use those magnets on our name tags at work and the sticky adhesive on the back doesn't hold up very well. You might want to reinforce it with fabric glue!

Shelly said...

Love it! I was wondering how to avoid holes in my clothes! Love, love, love the roesettes! Can't wait to do more with them!

~Shelly

http://evenings-and-weekends.blogspot.com/

-Sydney- said...

Way cool, I can think of a ton of uses for those!

As an aside, don't give a magnetic corsage to anyone with a pacemaker. I've heard it can mess with their ticker :)

Amy said...

Oh my gosh that is *such* a good idea! I've only used pins in the past, but always managed to impale one of my little sisters with them, this should save them some pain haha! :D

folksmith said...

where can the magnets be purchased since you are out of them?

what a great idea!

Brittany said...

Sold out already? I missed it!

Jen said...

Fab stuff! Hey where did you go camping at? I am in the Seattle area too and we are looking for some beach camping places!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Do you know where else can I purchase them? Darn they were all sold out by the time that I got there.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Do you know where else can I purchase them? Darn they were all sold out by the time that I got there.

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

WONDERFUL!! I tried to buy some, but they were all sold out in your etsy shop. Thanks for sharing!!

Kisses from the WhipperChicks at WhipperBerry!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

GOOD NEWS! I have more magnetic backs coming, and you can pre-order them in my Etsy shop now! http://www.etsy.com/listing/55798758/pre-order-for-pinless-corsage-flower

They'll be here in about a week. Thanks!

mmmm, brains said...

Fantastic!

One caution: people with pacemakers should not use these magnets
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18334784). So, if anyone is selling the finished product, please put a warning on your listings.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

More magnetic backs are in the shop now!

Dustin said...

Thanks for sharing the secret. That Beacon Adhesive Fabri tac is amazing to use for those kinds of crafts. I love the magnet idea too. Thanks for sharing!

Mitz said...

Are you all sold out again!?!! It looks like it. Boo! Getting any more in?!

Nichole said...

You could get a better deal and better quality magnets at Namifiers.com My husband is the COO. tell them Nichole sent you :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs