Wednesday, April 28, 2010

tree craft - great "green" inspriation!


It's a little late, but this post is in honor of Earth Day. (I was just too busy on Earth Day to post it!) Recently we got a copy of a new crafting book called Tree Craft: 35 Rustic Wood Projects That Bring the Outdoors In by Chris Lubkemann. When I first heard about it, I admit I wondered if it would be a little hokey. Okay, I was totally wrong. This is such a cool book! Check out some of the beautiful projects Chris shows you how to make using tree branches or stumps that you can find for free. They're totally "green." And several of them would make great Mother's Day gifts. . .





My favorite is probably this curtain rod. Have you noticed how expensive curtain rods are? Even at Target? I could go walk around in the woods behind my house and find a curtain rod just laying on the ground! Brilliant!

The other thing I like is that these projects are not just for cabins. Yes, most of them are PERFECT for cabin decor, but I could see myself using these in my own home, too. Like how cute is that spoon hanger? That would be darling with kids photos hanging from it for Mother's Day. . .hmmm, I feel a project coming on!

If you want to find a copy of Tree Craft, start here. The photography is great, the instructions are clear and simple, and the ideas are genius. Love this book!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
17 Comments

17 Responses to “tree craft - great "green" inspriation!”

Rebecca Timson said...

Wow... I love this!!! The branch curtain rod is truly inspiring.
LOVE IT!!!

Ta'
Beq

Ms Leaney said...

What great ideas! I love the spoon holder. Could double as a mini xmas tree during the silly season.

Lynn Kellan said...

So clever! I love the branch for hanging utensils!

Unknown said...

What fun. Love the spoon holder. Looks like I might have to get out the drill soon.

Kate - TGB

Anonymous said...

Love that spoon stand! And making it would give me an excuse to buy more wooden spoons...

Mad About Pink said...

I love Earth day. I'm your follower. Mad About PInk
MAdAboutPink.blospot.com

Mary Beth said...

oh my these crafts are awesome!! LOVING them! I have birch branch curtain rods!! thanks to my neighbor when he cut back his tree!!

Lindsey said...

thanks for the great ideas!

Sew It To Me said...

Love the ideas, espcially the wooden spoon and curtain rods!

Heatherbell said...

In my first house, I used bamboo as my curtain rods - on simple cup hooks - perfect and cheap and GREEN!

Laura Venosa Verbena said...

what a great blog!!!! So glad I found you.
xoxo laura

Issa Sarza-Quintos said...

i love love love all the ideas! So natural and looks raw and organic.

Shelby said...

I love these ideas! Very cute! :)

Jennifer said...

My son went camping for the first time at age 3.. He brought home a stick.. It is now a curtain rod in our kitchen.. Its not perfectly straight, but seriously who is going to really care?? I don't- I'm just amazed he made it a whole weekend with out me! (oh and he is now 10)

ChrisLub said...

Hi! The is Chris, author of TREE CRAFT. I don't spend much time on the computer or the Internet in general, but I did just read some of the comments on Little Birdie Secrets. I'm glad folks are enjoying some of the ideas and projects in the book.

I had tons of fun doing the book< and I can only say how great the Fox Chapel Publishing folks are! When they asked me to write a book on "eco-chic" projects, I laughed. Having spent a bunch of years in the interior parts of Brazil and Peru, I figured I could handle the "eco" part...but as for the "chic" portion, I told them I didn't have a clue!

Happily, Peg, Kerri, Scott, Troy, and the rest of the editorial gang were up on "chic" and were able to do a great job on "chic-ing" up my "eco"!

Must run. I'm heading over to my shop at the Amish Farm and House. Lots of work to do...and besides, I get to spend time with a bunch of my grandkids, great-grandkids, and great-great-grandkids (and would you believe I'm only 65!!) Actually, there's a picture of me with a number of them on page 126 of the book.

mommy Orkid Belle said...

This is really great! We are surrounded with trees here to so I should make some.. hehehe.. :) Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Really a brilliant idea and also a nice creativity.

Mirrored wardrobe sliding doors

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs