Friday, April 2, 2010

granola bars



My wonderful cousin, Sydney shared a great recipe for granola bars with me. We love them! My husband hates how store bought granola bars are so dry, even if they are the supposedly chewy kind. I made these ones and he couldn't get enough. They are so easy to make and they are much cheaper than buying the boxed ones at the store. I am also happy that I can pronounce every ingredient in them as well (as opposed to the store ones)!

Granola Bars
2 c. oats
3/4 c. wheat germ*
3/4 c. sunflower seeds*
1 c. chopped nuts*
2/3 c. brown sugar
½ c. honey
4 T butter
2 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
8 oz dried fruit*

Toast oats, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, and nuts in the oven
Put brown sugar, honey, vanilla, butter, and salt into a saucepan and cook gently until butter and sugar are dissolved.

Combine all ingredients and toss together in a large bowl to coat evenly. Press firmly into a parchment lined baking dish. Turn out onto a cutting board and cut when mostly cool. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap or waxed paper and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

*many different combinations of ingredients will work—I’ve used puffed brown rice and puffed millet instead of wheat germ, various nuts and seeds, mini chocolate chips, coconut and dried pineapple, cranberries and pecans, etc. Whatever you can think of! You just need to have about the same ratio of dry to wet ingredients. Also note: If you use mini chocolate chips as any of the ingredients then you need to just press them into the top of the granola mixture after it is on the pan and cooled a bit.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
23 Comments

23 Responses to “granola bars”

Leslie said...

Oh yum! I'm gonna have to try this!

Lindsey said...

They look delicious!! I'll need to give these a try.

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

This would be yummy with some flax seed added, or peanut butter, or... the options are endless and can totally be designed to individual taste.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for this. I was actually just thinking YESTERDAY that I wanted to look up a recipe for granola bars! Thanks for doing the work for me!

ms.clark said...

Oh my goodness! These look heavenly. Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

Mermaids of the Lake said...

Yummy! Those sound amazing!

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

those look delicious! thanks for sharing the recipe.

jamie said...

These look so great! I've been trying different granola bar recipes lately so that I can get away from the store bought ones too. I can't wait to try these!

Atticelf said...

I keep trying ones and have yet to find one I like. My 10 YO was looking over my shoulder and wants me to try this recipe. :) Sounds good to me!

**** April **** said...

Holy frijoles those look amazing!!! I wonder if they'd freeze well if you made a double or triple batch? Do you know?!

Seaside Siblings said...

Gosh they look good! Might have to try this one over the weekend.

Rachel H. said...

did you cook these at all? other recipes I have cook them a bit, just wondering.

Unknown said...

Oh thanks for this! I've been hunting for an easy homemade granola bar recipe for awhile now! Happy Easter to you! Kelly

Liesl said...

They look really good and I like the idea of being able to experiment with the combination of dry ingredients. I will be using your recipe for sure!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Look totally delicious...Enjoying a Saturday afternoon of blog hopping and all the Easter posts. Hope you will stop by and leave a comment....

On Sunday night I will be drawing for
$100 GOODIE BASKET.

http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-friends-new-blogs-and-giveaway.html

ana s. said...

I am going to make these for my stitching retreat. Just made granola and it is very similiar so I have all the ingredients. (except for the chocolate chips, yummy.)

-Sydney- said...

Hi. I'm THAT Sydney Jessica keeps embarrassing :) Glad you all like the recipe

@****April**** They do freeze well and even without freezing they'll keep for two weeks or more in an airtight container

@Rachel. H--You just toast the granola and the nuts and don't need too cook them after combining all the ingredients together. They're wonderful and chewable, you won't believe it.

@Amanda--totally easy to modify to anyone's particular tastes. I've also made them replacing the butter with an equal amount of peanut butter and they were awesome

Anonymous said...

I'm making these tomorrow! So nice to know what all of the ingredients are in things and my family loves granola bars! Thanks sooo much for sharing!

LissyLou said...

mmmmm they look pretty good granola bars!!

Jaqueline said...

Niceee! I love its sweeettyy !
kisses
jaqueline
http://amordobrado.blogspot.com
Brazil

Sarah said...

Oh I've been wanting to make granola bars for a while now and haven't found a good recipe. Thanks so much for sharing!
-Sarah from Create Studio
www.createstudio.blogspot.com

Kira said...

All the other granola bars I have made are real crumbly. I made these last night and OH MY YUM! I am linking you from my blog today. THANK YOU!
kiracooks.blogspot.com

Beth- the mama bee said...

I linked up too. These are the best and actually stay together!
http://mamabeefromthehive.blogspot.com/2010/04/granola-bars.html

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs