Friday, November 20, 2009

virtual cookie exchange

One of the best parts about the holiday season is the yummy baked goodies. I always get in such a baking mood whenever the fall air hits. Although my family is usually very happy to oblige me as I stuff all sorts of cookies, pies, and treats down their throats, I can tell that sometimes they think I have gone absolutely nuts. I have some go-to recipes that I tend to make every year, but it is always fun to try out some new things.

Cookie exchanges are always popular during the holiday season, so we thought it would be perfect to host a virtual cookie exchange! Don't know what a cookie exchange is? It's often done as a holiday get together with friends, and each family/couple brings a certain number of the cookies of their choice. Then everyone takes 6-12 (whatever number you decide) of each cookie, so everyone ends up with a bunch of different types to taste! We knew we wanted to share two of our favorite cookies with our readers, but we soon realized we wanted some new recipes to try out for ourselves. Hence the virtual cookie exchange. We received some wonderful recipes from some fellow bloggers. Enjoy!

Amazing Peanut Butter Cookies-from Jessica of Little Birdie Secrets

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Mix together and bake on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.



Mint Drizzle Surprise Cookies-submitted by Amy Smith from Pondering Parenthood

1 c. butter
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 eggs, unbeaten
2 TB. water
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (9 oz) package Andes Mints (I always get an extra package to make sure there is enough)

--Cream butter and sugars. Blend in eggs, water, and vanilla until well combined. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl then add to wet mixure until combined. Cover dough and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Take 1 TB of dough, enclose one UNWRAPPED (haha) Andes Mint Cookie in the dough...and repeat. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, let cool on cookie rack. Melt a handfull of mints in microwave for about 30 seconds. Put melted mints in a plastic sandwich bag, seal top and cut a SMALL bit off one corner drizzle to melted mint lightly over the cookies. Let dry and enjoy!!



White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies-submitted by Lorene from Boogaboo Babies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon brandy (I usually substitute vanilla)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries

--Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and brandy. Combine the flour and baking soda; stir into the sugar mixture. Mix in the white chocolate chips and cranberries. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. For best results, take them out while they are still doughy. Allow cookies to cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Chocolate Chubbies-submitted by Tina from Tina's Place

6 (1-ounce) semisweet chocolate squares, chopped
2 (1-ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares, chopped
1/3 cup butter
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts

--Combine first 3 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; cook, stirring often, over low heat until chocolate melts. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Beat eggs and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; add chocolate mixture, beating well. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to chocolate mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in chocolate morsels, pecans, and walnuts. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12 to 15 minutes or until done. Cool cookies on baking sheet 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool.



Chocolate Crinkles
-submitted by Tabetha from Reminisce Heirlooms

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 tbs. vanilla extract
2 eggs
3 tbs. cocoa powder
1/4 c. milk ( may need a tsp. more)
1 stick softened butter
1/2 c. crushed pecans

--Mix all dry ingredients. Add in the butter and eggs with vanilla. Mix in pecans. Cover and chill for two hours. When ready to roll, preheat your oven to 350. You will also need one box of powdered sugar at this time. I always use a melon baller or small ice cream scoop to make this process easier. Scoop small balls of dough and roll them in powdered sugar. Place them on the cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Your kitchen will smell oh so heavenly. Be sure to pour some milk beacuse as soon as they are out of the oven you will want to dip a hot cookie into your milk. Oh have mercy they are so good.



Scotcheroos-submitted by Alena from Jo Mama

1 1/2 C. creamy peanut butter
1 C. light corn syrup
1 C. sugar
6 C. rice krispies cereal
1 2/3 C. butterscotch chips*
1 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips*

*(You can adjust the amounts of the chocolate and butterscotch chips to your liking. For example, if you aren't a big fan of butterscotch these are still good when you switch the measurements of the chocolate and butterscotch.)

Coat a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Combine peanut butter, sugar, and corn syrup in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from heat. Add cereal and stir until thoroughly coated. Press onto bottom of prepared baking pan. Microwave the butterscotch chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips together in a large microwaveable bowl on HIGH power for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave at additional 10-20 second intervals, stirring until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes or until topping is firm. Cut into squares and then triangles if desired. Makes approx. 20 bars or 40 triangles.

Optional (and pictured): Melt additional dark chocolate chips and/or butterscotch and/or white chocolate, separately, about 1/4 cup each. Use spoon to drizzle stripes back and forth on the pan, with each variety. (I usually only use two different kinds.) Refrigerate again to let the chocolate harden. The scotcheroos pictured are with dark chocolate and butterscotch drizzled on top. I like the look of it better than plain, if I am taking to a party or giving as a gift. When I make them just for my family I completely skip the drizzled chocolate on top. It's yummy either way.



BUTTERFINGER COOKIES-submitted by Jeanette from Sweet Jeanette

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 egg whites
1 1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
5 (2.1 oz) butterfinger candy bars - chopped

--Preheat oven 350 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheets. Cream butter and sugars. Add egg whites; beat in peanut butter and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture - mix well. Stir in chopped candy bars. Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.




Forgotten Kiss Cookies--Submitted by Amanda Buechler from Two of a Feather (via Pioneer Woman)

1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
24+ Hershey Kisses, unwrapped

Beat together butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Slowly add flour and mix well. Form 1 inch balls around each kiss.

Bake 350° for 8-10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to rack.

I have used milk chocolate kisses, caramel kisses and hugs! Yumo! My friend B also tried peppermint kisses and those were super yummy too!



Mandy's Favorite Ginger Cookies--Submitted by Mandy of Little Birdie Secrets

3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
4 Tbsp. molasses
1 egg
2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger

Cream shortening. Add sugar gradually, creaming well after each addition. Add molasses and mix well. Add egg and beat. Measure dry ingredients and sift together. Stir into dough. Roll into walnut-sized balls and roll in sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. These are the perfect soft, chewy cookies to put you in the holiday spirit!

We also found a link to parents.com that is featuring great cookie exchange recipes this week. So click here for a few more delicious ideas!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
22 Comments

22 Responses to “virtual cookie exchange”

Deidre Mooney said...

I love a good peanut butter cookie...no flour or anything in this one?? I will have to try! Deidre M

Live, Love, Craft said...

You are awesome! I'm so happy you posted the recipe for Chocolate Crinkles! I made these cookies ONCE in a cooking class and I could not remember the name for the life of me!! I am making these, TONIGHT!

CourtneyKeb said...

Oh thank you for this! I've got banana nut bread in the oven, and I was going to bake some cookies afterward. I was actually surfing for something new online. I think I'm going to do those peanut butter ones. I've never seen a shorter, easier recipe, and one without flour at that!

Atticelf said...

Oh my...I'm am SO hungry looking at those recipes and pictures! I think I added an inch to each thigh just looking....

Jen said...

Great post!I think I'll try the peanut butter ones this weekend.

Anonymous said...

yum! I bookmarked this...

Dawn said...

oh yum-thank you for sharing-I can't wait to start baking!!

Jessica Dietz said...

I'm nervous about making the peanut butter cookies without flour. Your picture looks like it had flour in it. Please confirm! Thanks.

Amy F. said...

Shouldn't there be flour in that first recipe?

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Nope, there is no flour in my peanut butter cookies. That's why they are AMAZING! :) They come out so wonderful and DELICIOUS!

Tanya said...

I can't wait to try a few of these. Thanks!

Stephanie said...

Thank you SO much for posting these recipes!! I can't wait to try baking them!! So yummy!!!

debi9kids said...

OH my! I am absolutely bookmarking these recipes! YUMMO!

Cat J B said...

Oooh, I'm going to try out the p/butter one too, looks yummy!

Unknown said...

I tried the PB cookie recipe last night for a RS cookie exchange today. they are awesome! My cookies usually turn out flat or hard. Must be a problem with flour because these were perfect & yummy & so easy! I must admit we all had one for breakfast this morning!!

Elaine said...

Oh my gosh! What a short ingredients list and instructions! I have to try your peanut butter cookies. Thanks for sharing!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I have my first cookie exchange coming up, so I'll have to try at least one of these. Next year, hook this baby up to McLinky so we can see cookies from around the blogosphere!

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

Oh gracious! Can I just say drooling. I will make the pb cookies this week. Thanks so much for this virtual swap. It was a lot of fun! :)

Anonymous said...

That is fabulous! I am adding it my homemade Christmas list!!! Thank you!

Kirsten said...

Thanks for the recipes - YUM!!!

maxfate said...

Hey, thanks.Glad to find some new & exciting recipes!

Unknown said...

The forgotten kiss cookies are so good and cute, however I found I had to bake mine for 12-14 minutes, not sure why.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs