Monday, November 16, 2009

thankful jar

Last year we showed you how to make a grateful book for the Thanksgiving season, and this year we've created a similar project with the same feeling. I love giving family members a chance to write down their blessings--it helps us to remember how blessed we really are. This Thankful Jar is perfect for recording what each person is grateful for this year, and after Thanksgiving you have the start of a great Christmas garland to remind you of those blessings all season long!


Note: I used papers and rub-ons from Pink Paisley's Amber Road collection, which I think is beautiful and versatile. It looks like autumn, but it easily transitions into Christmas and winter.

Thankful Jar Tutorial

Supplies:
*Glass apothecary jar (we found ours on clearance at Ben Franklin for $2!)
*Rub-ons (we used the "Thankful" piece from Pink Paisley's Amber Road collection)
*Rub-on applicator or Popsicle stick
*Double-sided patterned papers cut into 1/2" by 6" strips
*Piece of patterned paper cut to fit part of the inside of the jar
*Length of ribbon to tie around jar
*Glue Dots
*Mini attacher or stapler (we love the one by Tim Holtz)
*Pen or marker

1. Be sure your glass jar is clean and free from dust and then adhere your rub-on. (Stacy mentioned she didn't know how to use rub-ons, so I've added a tutorial within the tutorial for you first-timers!) Cut the portion you want from the rub-on from sheet and remove paper backing. Place where you want it on the glass and lightly press it down with your fingers. Use your rub-on tool (mine is by EK Success) or a Popsicle stick to rub all over the image until it is completely transferred. If part of the rub-on doesn't transfer, just put it back down in the right spot and rub again until it does. Easy-peasy!




Here's what my finished rub-on looks like up close:


2. Cut a strip of one of your papers about 3" wide and long enough to fit all the way around the inside of the jar. I used Glue Dots to stick it to the inside of the jar. If you position them right, you won't see the Glue Dots because the ribbon will cover them up.


3. Tie a coordinating ribbon to the outside of the jar just above the rub-on, being sure to cover up your Glue Dots.


4. Cut your patterned paper into 1/2" x 6" strips. We used various patterns just to make it look cute in the jar.


That's it for the jar! Now leave the strips of paper next to the jar with a pen so your family, friends, and guests can write their blessings on a strip and put it in the jar. I plan on reading the strips out loud at the Thanksgiving dinner table. But don't throw them away when you're done!


We took our strips and made them into rings, using a mini attacher (aka cute little stapler) to create a chain.




This creates a meaningful garland to remind your family of all their blessings during the rush of the Christmas season. Hang it on your tree, across your mantle, from a light fixture, or anywhere else it will be enjoyed.




Another idea is to create a scrapbook layout using the strips as the background. Just adhere them close together on a sheet of card stock and you have a sweet homemade patterned paper for your Thanksgiving photos. Sorry, no picture of that yet!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
32 Comments

32 Responses to “thankful jar”

Chrissy said...

What a lovely idea. Sometimes I wish we celebrated Thanksgiving in the UK. I think it is easy to forget that in difficult times we still have much to be thankful for. You idea is a wonderful way of prompting people to be still and think a while.

Marielle said...

What a great idea, we do not celebrate thanksgiving, but I still want to do this project with the kids.
I think it is good for them to write down how blessed we all are.

Lynette said...

That is a great idea!!! I especially love how you then made the strips of paper into a garland for the tree...genius!!!

Lynette
getyourcrafton.blogspot.com

Donna VW said...

Last week I bought a jar to make a blessings jar - similar idea, but I love that you make your into a paper chain for your Christmas tree. Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

What a beautiful idea. I love the idea of turning it into a chain for Christmas.

sweetjeanette said...

I love the idea...and the Christmas paper chain too!!!
I've posted a "how-to" for victorian purse ornaments on my blog you might be interested in.

http://sweetjeanette.blogspot.com/2009/11/victorian-purse-ornaments.html

Diana said...

I do something similar with my family, but your jar is decidedly cuter! I love the idea of putting the strips on the tree after Thanksgiving.

Alena Jo said...

That's beautiful! You guys are so creative!

marie said...

From the jar to the paper chain ~ wonderful idea!!

Atticelf said...

We've done a blessing jar before but it never occured to me to create a garland from the little strips. Fantastic idea (as usual)! :)

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Great idea - especially the making it into a garland/chaing afterwards. Featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com and sending a little traffic your way! (Hi Mandy)

sallgood said...

LOve this cute idea! We have an "Attitude of Gratitude" poster we add to all year, but this is a much cuter version, and I really love making a paper chain out of it! I'll do this with my grandkids who'll be with us for Thanksgiving. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today and immediately became a follower...such cute and easy ideas!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your Blog. I check it daily! This idea is so super adorable and I plan on going out getting all the stuff to make one this week! Thanks for all the great ideas.....

Cynthia said...

What a great idea. I love how you made them into a Christmas chain. Thanks for the idea.

Leah said...

I think this is such a grounding idea. Love it even if we dont celebrate thanksgiving, its always good to be reminded and I love the paper chain idea for the tree. very clever. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! My youngest wrote out a list of things she was grateful for yesterday...it's so sweet. I think it's especially important right now to remember to be thankful for all our blessings.

Stopping by from SITS. Will definitely be back.

Lorrie said...

What a great idea. We already celebrated Thanksgiving in October here, but I think being thankful should happen all year long. I might start doing this right now!

Lorrie

Jode said...

Great idea Little birdies. I thought the "thankful chain" would look great down the middle of the Thanksgiving Dinner table. Hi Mandy!

Natalie said...

I love this project!! Thanks for sharing it. What a great idea to make a chain for Christmas after. You could even make 25 of them in November and use them as a countdown to Christmas chain starting in December!

Beth said...

This is a beautiful craft! Beth

Rosie said...

What a great idea! I think we may adopt this as a new family tradition!

katherinemarie said...

BRILLIANT and BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Moore Minutes said...

I am in love with both of these! ...especially the countdown chain! :) I just found your blog and it's a treasure. I'm a new follower.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea - thanks so much for sharing! I do have a couple questions:

1. How far in advance did you start this before Christmas? Did you do one strip/day/individual? How many strips did you end up having to create the chain? Was the chain long enough for the tree?

Thanks!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is beautiful and so thoughtful, I love it! I'll be linking.

Hollis said...

What a cute idea. I love that you took the gratitude that is abounding at Thanksgiving and brought it over into Christmas. Lovely! I was just looking through your blog and decided I love it. I am a big fan and love everything

Christi said...

great idea!

Michelle said...

Wow I'm such a slacker. Okay, we do a thankful box...but it's a pitcher, decorated with previous years slips.

I LOVE that you are doing decorative paper for the slips and then hanging them on the tree...I'm going to do that too.

Brandy said...

This was such a great idea and I made one and posted a how to on my blog. Come check it out at: http://spottedsmiles.blogspot.com

MarieMc said...

your crafts are awesome. i regret i missed them during thanksgiving. ld love to follow you. i could imagine the beautiful crafts you have in store.Your ideas are great

Unknown said...

anyone have hints where to find a rub on now? those have been discontinued... thanks!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs