Wednesday, January 28, 2009

hospital essentials gift basket

The birdies looooove babies. I think we’ve mentioned that a few times in the past. We get so excited when a friend or family member tells us they are expecting. We love to spend our time crafting away in anticipation of a new little one. One of our friends is due soon and we’ve been busy making tons of cute baby items to welcome this adorable bundle of joy. But, wait! We didn’t forget mama (poor mama--once baby is here people tend to forget about her). So, we're putting together a little hospital basket to help her short stay a little more comfortable. Items that will go in this basket will be lip balm, lotion, facial towelettes, a favorite novel or magazine, gum, and mints. Oh, and of course we couldn’t complete a gift basket without one handcrafted item. House slippers! These were inspired by the travel slipper pattern in Michael Miller's book, Fabric Paper Party.


We whipped up our own little birdie version. We used some fabric scraps some extra-firm stabilizer for the foot base. These are perfect for wearing around the hospital room. I know I dislike those ugly gray socks they give you, and if you're already feeling less than pretty, the last thing you want to put on is bulky man-socks. We made sure that we used puff paint to paint designs on the bottom so the slippers would be non-slip. Hopefully we can make our friend’s hospital stay a little more stylish. These slippers are also a great idea for those of you going on long airplane trips.


Want a few more ideas for hospital gift baskets?

If you don't have time to sew slippers, how about this cute version of the hospital sock from Homemade by Jill?


Who wants to worry about doing their hair in the hospital? We love this pretty fabric headband from Heather Bailey. She has a free pattern for it! How fun would it be to give matching slippers and headband?

And for short stays, it would be nice to have a cute shower cap, so they can take a shower without having to wash and dry their hair. Hoppo Bumpo has a free pattern for an adorable cap.


Make up a cute hospital kit like this, and you'll be one visitor who'll be allowed to stay past visiting hours!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
12 Comments

12 Responses to “hospital essentials gift basket”

blabla said...

Lovely visit yours.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

What thoughtful and beautiful items to put in a hospital bag. I didn't have anything like that in my bag! (wish I did) Boy, those hospital floors sure are ccccold!

I'm very glad that my sister-in-law helped me figure out what I needed in my hospital bag. I would have never included things like Tucks!

Unknown said...

Fab ideas!! Do they come with sewing lessons? I know, yesterday I asked for crocheting lessons. A girl can dream, right?

Mercedes said...

Cute ideas. What about something for the daddy? They really get forgotten.

Alisha said...

I love finding out when people I am close to are expecting. My second cousin is pregnant after years of trying, and my mom and me are SOOO excited to plan her a baby shower, baby gifts, and of course, a mama care package.

Melinda said...

Great ideas! thanks for sharing

jewelstreet said...

Those are super cute! How thoughtful of you to make those for momma. I wish I'd had a few of those items when I was in the hospital with my daughter.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Friends and family did a basket like this for me and it made such a difference for me! I LOVED it! Thanks for sharing this wonderful (and very necessary) idea!

Molly Anne said...

What a wonderful idea! A friend of mine is expecting in a few months time...enough time for me to put together a basket like this anyway!

Tori C. said...

I am giving you an award on my blog, so come on over to check it out! Thanks for being so awesome!

Monica said...

Fantastic ideas for a gift! I can't wait to try them out!

Amy said...

thank you for the ideas, the slippers are cute as heck!! I am sure the recipient loved them. thanks for sharing,Amy

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs